Making a goal weight

SkylerisSquid
SkylerisSquid Posts: 17 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I feel like an important part of this journey is making goals and reaching them but I still don't even have a goal weight. When people I know ask me when I plan to stop I always just shrug and say when I am happy with it . But I feel I need to put a number on this mission. I weigh less now that I did my freshman year of high school so this kind of seemed unachievable in itself. Should I just aim for a mid-range healthy bmi? Does anyone else not set goals and just makes it up as they go along?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Me!

I work for the mini goals. Now it's what's on the scale, but eventually it'll be exercise goals and inches. Don't overwhelm yourself with the final number. It'll be where you feel your best, and you might even have to pass it first and gain back up to it.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Some people here do goal ranges rather than numbers. Some people take it 5-10 lbs at a time. The fitness folks usually base it off of their fitness goals - hard to be overweight and run five miles within 40 minutes.

Personally, I have a couple goals with an achievable near-term goal and longer term goals that look to the future. I try to not be without a goal.
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    I'm about 60 lbs from my main target. I just picked the top number in the BMI chart for normal/healthy. I figure I can adjust that target as I get closer. I do need that end target number though, so I understand what you mean. Maybe your target isn't a weight, but something else like no underarm wiggle. I would just pick a target that is in the direction you are heading, knowing that when you closer, you will reevaluate.

Conversely, if you have ever had to walk long distances (miles and miles), you'll notice that it goes by much faster mentality if you pick a closer spot on the way and walk to it. e.g. light poles, fence posts, trees... Maybe this translates to weight loss and having a bunch of smaller goals might help make the journey seem less long. Maybe not. What do I know! :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I'm about 60 lbs from my main target. I just picked the top number in the BMI chart for normal/healthy. I figure I can adjust that target as I get closer. I do need that end target number though, so I understand what you mean. Maybe your target isn't a weight, but something else like no underarm wiggle. I would just pick a target that is in the direction you are heading, knowing that when you closer, you will reevaluate.

Conversely, if you have ever had to walk long distances (miles and miles), you'll notice that it goes by much faster mentality if you pick a closer spot on the way and walk to it. e.g. light poles, fence posts, trees... Maybe this translates to weight loss and having a bunch of smaller goals might help make the journey seem less long. Maybe not. What do I know! :)

My first goal was 10% of my starting body-weight. I didn't attach a time-frame, but it went faster than I'd expected (I'm counting water weight and you can't stop me!). After that I did what @greenlizard72 did and figured I'd aim for the top of the BMI healthy range. But I'm pretty much going day by day here, and have listed out a bunch of mini-goals along the way. And heck, if I stopped losing today and just maintained at my current weight for 11 months, I'd still qualify for the National Weight Loss Registry! If what you're doing is working, then stick with it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    smaller goals got me to 100 pounds. i have 50 left to lose and focus on about 10 at atime. just as ive been doing.

my final weight? we'll see. when i feel good (well, i already feel good but you know what i mean)

i have days where i feel i look awesome now and others when i look down or feel jiggly bits jiggling and go 'ugh how can anyone love or want me????' (keep in mind i have an awesome fiance who loves and wants me regardless of weight and i KNOW this lolol)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited November 2017
    My goal is visual, not a number on the scale. When I look the way I want to, then I'll know I'm there.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Personally I think your goal should be what you actually want. If all you want is for the number on your scale to read a certain digit then okay have a goal weight. If what you want is a certain look or appearance then I would say have your goal be that look or appearance. If your goal is to achieve a certain level of fitness and energy level then I'd say have your goal be tied to that, like for instance being able to run a 10k in under 50 minutes.

It is also perfectly okay to have a series of small goals. It doesn't have to be one goal and then done.

I think having a number in mind for the scale is okay, but certainly isn't necessary and typically isn't what people actually want for themselves when they try to visualize where they are trying to get.