Hungry even though I eat healthy?

You guys-- it seems like I have to eat an astronomical number of calories no matter what I do. In a day, I typically eat a heaping dinner plate of salad/veggies and about 1-2 pounds of meat a day. Today I ate 3 pounds of meat and 2 plates of vegetables and was still hungry. I also eat lots of healthy fats. My macros end up being about the same number of grams of everything, so it's not some dietary imbalance causing this. It's not thirst either, because I drink about 4 gallons of water a day too (I've measured-- I know, it's insane, but I'm just thirsty a lot). And no I do not have diabetes, I've gotten blood work done. I'm getting my vitamins. I'm a 5'7", 140ish pound girl who is basically sedentary except for lifting intensely about 6 minutes per week and I eat like a teenage football player, to the tune of 2500 calories per day, and yet I could still eat more. But on the days I just eat junk food here and there with much less protein, I'm fine and not hungry. And if I can eat 200 g carbs, 100g sugar and like 50g protein on those rare days and be fine, it can't be a high carb level causing the problem either. What is wrong with me and what can I do? I know this isn't okay that I'm hungry because I'm gaining belly fat...

Replies

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Increased appetite could be caused by recent drastic weight loss, PMS/hormonal changes, an overly restrictive diet, seasonal changes, stress...

Your measurements put you squarely in the "healthy" bmi range; I don't know enough about you to say "just don't stress about weight!" but if you are over-emphasizing/stressing your weight that's likely having an effect on your appetite.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Maybe playing around with meal timing can help.

Or.. why not incorporate some junk food into your day if it helps. For me, I get mental satisfaction from fitting treats into my day.

How long have you been lifting? Intense sessions can really get hunger going.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    can you open your diary up? depending on the veggies you are eating - they are not necessarily calorie dense
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Are you actually eating 2 pounds of meat per day? Have you had your Thyroid tested ?
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    This might help:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor

Researching foods that have improved satiation values is probably what you want to do.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    can you open your diary up? depending on the veggies you are eating - they are not necessarily calorie dense

Yes I would love to see this diary of 3lbs of meat ...as that would equate to appx 5440 calories not including the carbs/fats.

and 6mins of intense lifting a week and eating on average 2500 a day????
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yes I would love to see this diary of 3lbs of meat ...as that would equate to appx 5440 calories not including the carbs/fats.

assuming 3lbs of chicken - then you are looinking approx 1500cal just in chicken (i used the chicken entry I used for my dinner last night to calculate)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

assuming 3lbs of chicken - then you are looinking approx 1500cal just in chicken (i used the chicken entry I used for my dinner last night to calculate)

Would be about that in tuna as well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited November 2017
    You don't mention fat. Fat is way more filling for me than protein. And yes, maybe you need the extra carbs. 50 of protein seems a little low, but maybe aim for 75 and get your carbs.

Also, 2500 calories isn't that much for a 140 lb girl. I am just a little heavier (160) and can maintain at that. Definitely not "astronomical".
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    It sounds like head hunger to me since you said it is satisfied when you eat a bit of junk food. In my experience, the only way to get past that is to push through it until the cravings pass (sorry, I know that advice sucks - but it worked for me). Play around with your macros - try higher protein, higher fat first and then adjust as needed.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Sounds to me like you read somewhere that carbs are bad so you are avoiding carbs.

Carbs are what provide you with energy. If you forgo carbs in favor of protein to an extreme you are going to end up feeling low energy, light headed and hungry (unsatisfied). Just dial back the number of calories and eat some carbs in your diet, they aren't "evil". The fact that you feel better eating "junk food" (which is most likely mostly carbs and/or fats that you are missing) should show you what you are missing in your diet. Most reasonable diets have ~50% of the calories coming from carbs.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Eating healthy is eating foods that provide you with a reasonable macro split balanced between carbs, protein and fat while getting adequate nutrition. Eating healthy is not eating only meat and salad and ignoring it when your body is screaming at you.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Are you actually eating 2 pounds of meat per day? Have you had your Thyroid tested ?

Could be this. A friend of my son started eating like this and finally found out it was a hereditary thyroid misfunction. Can't hurt to look into it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    2500 really isn't a huge amount of calories for someone of your height, especially if you are young enough to still refer to yourself as a girl.

You might also be confusing hunger with not satisfied. I know I can eat until I'm stuffed and still not feel satisfied if I don't have enough fat in the meal. Fat satisfies me even though I find fiber and protein more filling. This would explain why you feel less hungry (more satisfied) when you eat junk food.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I need a much higher ratio of carbs to the rest to feel satiated. Without some kind of starchy carb, a meal isn't going to hold me for very long. It could be as simple as a pita bread or a bit of potato, but it's like night and day for me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

yes I looked at this and thought to myself duh...wth did that number come from...must have been a typo only thing i can think of.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I'm not sure you should be drinking 4 gallons of water...if you are legit that thirsty, you need to see a dr.

2500 calories isn't a huge amount for an active person your size...but 3lbs of meat in 1 sitting seems high (and unlikely). Are you accurately weighing your food on a scale?