Introverts Unite!!!

Replies

• scottma3
    scottma3 Posts: 13 Member
    scottma3 wrote: »
    Ha :P Luckily I have a wife that is an extrovert thats makes me talk to people at parties even though Id rather sit in the corner with my drink and people watch.

I have times of extroversion and always drag my husband along!

So random question cause Im kinda new to MFP. Is there a way to activate notifications if someones comments on a comment youve made. I just happen to run across this today but its nice to see what others think of your comments sometimes.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Ha :P Luckily I have a wife that is an extrovert thats makes me talk to people at parties even though Id rather sit in the corner with my drink and people watch.

I have times of extroversion and always drag my husband along!

So random question cause Im kinda new to MFP. Is there a way to activate notifications if someones comments on a comment youve made. I just happen to run across this today but its nice to see what others think of your comments sometimes.

Click the little star at the top of a thread to get notifications when someone posts in it. There's not a notification to let you know when someone quotes/comments on a post of yours (that would get overwhelming fast!) but I suppose you could always just stalk your own posts :smiley:
  • mojo48212
    mojo48212 Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2017
    Totally love being alone most of the time! Buuutttt there are days when I could use some help, and by help I just mean knowing someone is there if I need them. Feel free to add me. I'll generally only reply to stuff on my feed if someone is struggling and needs a hard, a shoulder, an ear, etc.
  • jenna_mikewolf
    jenna_mikewolf Posts: 31 Member
    I've been lurking in this thread since it started. Just saying hello in order not to be perceived as creepy. No need to for idle chit-chat though :smile:

No judgment zone
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You can add me but I can't promise to respond reliably.

Same here. I'm not currently tracking though because I'm taking a mental health break.
  • Dropfor40
    Dropfor40 Posts: 13 Member
    Here's another one - add me
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Fellow member of the "wow I am at max absorption of other people" club! rowr.

I call that feeling 'saturation' and thankfully my husband is very good at recognising when I'm there and leaving me alone when I need it!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    "Introverts Unite!!!"

Seems kind of oxymoronic to me. The only thing I get out of being an introvert is that I don't require validation from other people. So why would I give up the one perk I get out of it.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    sfcrocker wrote: »
    Best definition of introverts and extroverts I've heard:

Both introverts and extroverts like contact with people. When introverts are around people, their gas tank depletes and they need to refill it by being alone. When extroverts aren't around people, their gas tank depletes and they need to refill it by being around people.

I enjoy parties and socializing, but then need a day by myself to recover. I guess that makes me an introvert.

Yup - this is me!

I enjoy being alone, but I don't want to be alone ALL the time. But if I'm around people, most of the time I prefer to be on the sidelines watching them, and under no circumstances do I want to draw attention to myself!

Being around people definitely depletes my energy stores, and after a while, I'm looking for a bathroom stall for a few minutes of alone time lol

I like the anonymity of a keyboard on a message group, and will talk a person's ear off online with super long messages and posts. But in real life, face to face? I'm awkward usually. If its someone I'm comfortable around and its one on one, I'll talk a lot, but the more people are added to the group, the quieter I become. I rarely speak up in groups of 4 or me - myself included.

Then again, I don't have problems socializing with strangers. I'll carry a conversation with a person in line at the grocery store and tell them my life story and usually way more information than I should - IF I'm comfortable around them. Otherwise, I keep to myself.

As for personality type, I've never been tested and nowadays, its almost impossible to find free tests online to determine these things, but after reading through a few descriptions, I'd say I'm mostly ISFJ with perhaps a touch of INFJ. In temperament type, I'm definitely strongly melancholic, and, if you subscribe to the 5th type, a little supine as well and maybe a smallest hint of phlegmatic as I tend to not want to get involved in much.
  • Did someone unite introverts? -- feel free to add me if you'd like some extra support :smiley:
  • hannahsmithmd
    hannahsmithmd Posts: 4 Member
    Introverts do need their own support network and friends that understand they just want to stay in and binge watch netflix on a Friday or Saturday night instead of going out for a drink.

In a society where most people are expect to be extroverts understanding how introverts tick is very important as they many positive attributes to bring and if most people think about their best teacher or boss then they will have probably shown more introvert tenancies than extrovert ones. For example a good listener, not rushing in and making rash decisions, ask for everyone's perspective and taking the best one (so not just asking people's opinion for the sake of it), giving people credit when they could easily have taken it for themselves.

If you haven't read 'Quiet' by Susan Cain or watched the TED talk https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts both are well worth reading and watching.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Can someone point me to the extrovert thread :p:laugh:
  • BethWilliams24
    BethWilliams24 Posts: 175 Member
    Feel free to add me. I'm about the most introverted person I know, so I feel your pain!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Interesting thread, needing to read all of this! Thanks!