Vegan/Vegetarian: How to get enough protein

I transitioning to a plant-based lifestyle. It’s been a challenge to get enough protein to counteract the increase in carbs. Also, is it good to eat vegan meat substitutes?

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Things like Seitan and Tofu can be a help, as well as Legumes and tree nuts (or nut butters).
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Greens, beans, and nuts. can of greens has ab the same protein and calories as a filet of tilapia.
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    I get plenty for my age. How much do you think you need daily? If you use quinoa and other similar, it is hard not to get plenty. Consider concentrating on FIBER to "counteract" added carbs. Ive had to undo all of the Atkins mantra. And I lose weight steadily with measurements appearing as if I've lost more. Whole foods are likely the best remedy to added carbs. Nest wishes.
  • Hanlonx
    Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
    If you are in the UK, not protein heavy but try Morrisons Own Spicy bean burgers - taste amazing!
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    If you make smoothies you can add chia seeds. Two tablespoons have 20% of your daily requirement. Plus 40% of fiber and a whole lot more.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Black bean burgers
    Fake meat (morningstar, gardein, quorn)
    Tofu
    Tofurky deli slices
    Lentil/bean + sauce sachets
    Cottage cheese
    Eggs

The google gods and pinterest princesses have loads of ideas.
  • HungryGyrl
    HungryGyrl Posts: 3 Member
    I love vegan meats. Gardein has AWESOME products. But is it ok to eat them so much? I could eat them everyday.
  • emmyrose13
    emmyrose13 Posts: 1 Member
    Vegan meats are fine to eat regularly, I like to mix it up with the tofu and seitan, but that's personal taste. If you think about the fat and nasties that would've been in your meat, the vegan fakes are heaps better!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    HungryGyrl wrote: »
    I love vegan meats. Gardein has AWESOME products. But is it ok to eat them so much? I could eat them everyday.

I'm in Canada and not sure if this brand is found elsewhere, but I find that Yves products generally tend to be higher in iron and protein than Gardein. Not all products overlap between the two lines, though. And sometimes I'd rather have "fish" n chips than veggie dogs sliced in my salad or stirfry.

I get a lot of protein from legumes and whole grains, fake meats, and eggs. I eat a bit less cheese than I used to because I pay attention to my iron intake and dairy doesn't have much of it. So I tend to pass up a piece of string cheese for a couple of veggie dogs or a single serve bag of protein chips.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    HungryGyrl wrote: »

I don't see any problem with eating faux meat daily, there are times when I eat a lot of it. If cost is a concern, you can always look into making your own -- this way you can also customize the flavors and ingredients to be exactly how you want.
  • janejellyroll
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Greens, beans, and nuts. can of greens has ab the same protein and calories as a filet of tilapia.

I've seen this typed a couple of times lately. A tilapia filet (around 4oz) has around 20g protein. A regular 15 oz can of greens (turnip, collard) has around 6g protein, unless they have ham or bacon or meat broth or something. Spinach might have 10g.

They may have roughly, approximately the same number of calories per gram of protein, but you have to eat around 2 to 3 cans of greens to get the amount of protein in one tilapia filet. And the greens are an incomplete protein, whereas the tilapia has complete protein.

You can debate about which greens are in the can and how big a filet, but for any normal definition, one can of greens does not have equal protein to a tilapia filet.

P.S. I'm not a meat or fish apologist. I'm a vegetarian. But this is just incorrect info. Also, canned greens are overcooked and icky.

Greens are one of my favorite foods ever and I can't imagine eating canned greens. I realize taste is subjective and some people may love them, but for me it would have to be an emergency-situation food.
  • janejellyroll
    Rocbola wrote: »
    How to get enough protein:
    Step one, eat real food. (minimize sugar and oil; those foods have no protein.)
    Step two, eat enough calories.

That's it. There is no need to worry about protein as long as you eat enough.

Some days when I'm travelling/on the road, I only get 25-30 grams of protein if I don't focus on it even though I am eating enough.

If I ate like that regularly, I have trouble believing that would be "enough" protein for me to feel my best.

I don't understand the argument that I can eat literally anything (while minimizing sugar and oil) and still meet my protein goals. This also ignores that we don't just need generic protein, we have specific amino acid needs and some diets can be low in specific amino acids. I can plan a diet that is, on paper, meeting my minimum needs for protein (which may be less than I actually need to maintain or build muscle) but is low in a specific amino acid like lysine or methionine if I'm not eating higher protein foods like beans or tofu.
  • leeshender
    leeshender Posts: 3 Member

Some days when I'm travelling/on the road, I only get 25-30 grams of protein if I don't focus on it even though I am eating enough.

If I ate like that regularly, I have trouble believing that would be "enough" protein for me to feel my best.

I don't understand the argument that I can eat literally anything (while minimizing sugar and oil) and still meet my protein goals. This also ignores that we don't just need generic protein, we have specific amino acid needs and some diets can be low in specific amino acids. I can plan a diet that is, on paper, meeting my minimum needs for protein (which may be less than I actually need to maintain or build muscle) but is low in a specific amino acid like lysine or methionine if I'm not eating higher protein foods like beans or tofu.

The thing is, unless you’re a body builder, that’s fine. Throw a tablespoon of hemp seeds over salad or soup, and you’re good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Greens, beans, and nuts. can of greens has ab the same protein and calories as a filet of tilapia.[/]

Lol...no they don't...
  • janejellyroll
    leeshender wrote: »

The thing is, unless you’re a body builder, that’s fine. Throw a tablespoon of hemp seeds over salad or soup, and you’re good.

I'm not sure what you are saying is fine here. Getting 25-30 grams of protein per day? Not getting sufficient lysine or methionine? Or all of it?

Hemp seeds have about five grams of protein per tablespoon. While that is a good way to meet part of one's protein needs, I'm not sure how a tablespoon represents an entire solution to the problem of overall low protein intake.