Oatmeal!

I have HATED oatmeal for the first 25 years of my life. I just recently learned that I do actually like it. But I want to switch it up! Normally I add some almonds and a touch of honey. What are your favorite add-ins?

Replies

• walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Peanut butter (I just need protein in the morning), blueberries, and nuts. It's also good with applesauce and, again, peanut butter.
  • phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Honey and cinnamon are definitely some of my favorites but recently I have been adding pomegranate seeds. If you can get good one's I highly recommend it.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    I am a second for the peanut butter, it goes great in oatmeal. If you want to lighten the calories as well I like to use PB2 some days. It is a lower calories peanut butter powder that mixes great in oatmeal and it comes in chocolate peanut butter for when you need something sweet too! I also add fruit on occasions or even a serving of jam.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Butter.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    EmiFry3 wrote: »
    I have HATED oatmeal for the first 25 years of my life. I just recently learned that I do actually like it. But I want to switch it up! Normally I add some almonds and a touch of honey. What are your favorite add-ins?

Peanut butter (I need protein for breakfast), blueberries, and nuts. Applesauce (with or without peanut butter) tastes good as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Oooh, you don't want to get me started. I add powdered milk and raisins while it is cooking, and a couple drops of stevia when it is ready. I might add protein powder and vanilla, and I always add some yogurt.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    I really don't like oatmeal, but I like oats in the morning, fills me up and sticks with me, so I started making my own granola. I add dried fruit and some nuts. 1/2 cup of granola, a banana or half a cup of berries, some milk, and I'm good to go. If I do cook oatmeal, I use steel cut oats, and chop up an apple, a few raisins or dried cranberries, and a little cinnamon or ginger. Steel cut oats do take longer to cook than rolled oats, so maybe not the best thing for rushed mornings.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    crumbled bacon and fried eggs (with runny yolks). Salt & pepper to taste.

That sounds AMAZING!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Pumpkin puree, cinnamon & brown sugar.

1/2 mashed banana, cinnamon & chopped walnuts.

PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and maple syrup.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    crumbled bacon and fried eggs (with runny yolks). Salt & pepper to taste.

I think I'll have to try this very soon. Yum!

My current favorite way for oatmeal is steel cut oats, mixed with almond butter, some banana, cinnamon and honey and then topped with fresh berries. Blueberries and raspberries are my favorite.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2017
    I like steel cut oats (1 cup cooked) and mix 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped 4 raw pecans, .25 oz walnuts, .13 cup almonds, 1/2 tbsp ceylon cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp organic coconut oil & grass fed ghee in it.

cals=455 cals
    protein=12
    carbs= 50
    Fat=27
    Fiber=12
    Potassium=597

It's super chewy & so filling and with all the added ingredients makes a nice size bowl of YUM!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Banana, peanut butter, milk, chia seeds, cinnamon, occasionally brown sugar.

• EmiFry3
    EmiFry3 Posts: 11 Member
    They ALL sound sooo good
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I always add vanilla protein powder to mix in. Then I top it with cottage cheese. In addition to those two things

chopped green apple, cinnamon, splenda
    strawberries and peanuts, splenda
    peaches, pistachios, cinnamon, splenda
    blueberries, peanut butter
    mango and cashews
    banana and macadamia nuts
  • Ssg25
    Ssg25 Posts: 21 Member
    Chopped up apple, cinnamon
    Raisins, sliced almonds, cinnamon
    mashed banana, raisins, walnuts
    1/2 mashed banana, PB2 or peanut butter
    Chocolate PB2 and unsweetened cocoa powder
    Strawberries and almond/cashew milk
    Berries and honey or cinnamon
    and chia seeds with everything

Or savory with eggs, avocado, and hot sauce
  • I used to ALWAYS put chocolate chips in my oatmeal. OMG so yum.

For the past several years it's always been peanut butter and a banana. Since counting calories on MFP I've ditched the banana :( (or saved it for a mid-morning snack). Lately I've discovered that I really like to *not* mix in the peanut butter completely, but leave it sort of in big glops. I love oatmeal!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Berries, cherries, walnuts, pecans, freshly ground flax, bananas.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    I like to add molasses, cinnamon, banana, and maybe a few raisins.