Cyclists

Replies

• nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    That's true. Was not the intension of this thread!
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    *sigh*

There's no thread that MPF can't ruin...

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Alright, back to bike pics. My mountain bike is an older Cannondale Trail SL2, 26-incher. I just realized that I don't have any good pics of my mountain bike, this is the best I could find:

f3gts92fjssc.jpg

My road bike is a Chinese carbon frame that I built up myself. "Cerberus" is a made-up brand that I came up with because IMHO an unpainted frame looks unfinished. Bonus points to anyone who can figure out the inspiration for the paint job.

axj1r48ndpoc.jpg
    43h1eq6ll74b.jpg
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    *sigh*

Maybe people shouldn't tell other people how/where to spend their money, and other people shouldn't get bent out of shape when people troll them on how they spend their money.

There's no thread that MPF can't ruin...

Since when?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Can I be happy in a road saddle with almost no padding? Fabric ALM. I can get it on sale, it looks really cool, would look great in photos. I know the shape is right because I've had another of their saddles. When I camp, I sit on rocks, so how bad could an unpadded saddle be?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Can you? Sure. Will you? Who knows.

I run a minimal saddle on my tri bike and do OK with it. I do prefer a bit of padding to lots/none, but I think it's more the aggressive position of my tri bike that makes it uncomfortable over longer courses than does the lack of padding.

I think if the shape is correct, then you can adjust to the amount of padding. If the shape is wrong, it's hard to get past that.
  • NorthCascades
    Maybe I should get a cheap no padding saddle from Amazon and test the concept out before committing to a nice one.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Can you? Sure. Will you? Who knows.

I run a minimal saddle on my tri bike and do OK with it. I do prefer a bit of padding to lots/none, but I think it's more the aggressive position of my tri bike that makes it uncomfortable over longer courses than does the lack of padding.

I think if the shape is correct, then you can adjust to the amount of padding. If the shape is wrong, it's hard to get past that.

I agree ... it does come down to saddle shape.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Alright, back to bike pics. My mountain bike is an older Cannondale Trail SL2, 26-incher. I just realized that I don't have any good pics of my mountain bike, this is the best I could find:

f3gts92fjssc.jpg

My road bike is a Chinese carbon frame that I built up myself. "Cerberus" is a made-up brand that I came up with because IMHO an unpainted frame looks unfinished. Bonus points to anyone who can figure out the inspiration for the paint job.

axj1r48ndpoc.jpg
    43h1eq6ll74b.jpg

Beautiful! How many times do people start talking to you about the "Cerberus" brand like "Oh hey, I was looking at one of those, but I decided to go with a Trek!" :)
  • nelja
    I have seen cycle brands on this thread that I do not even know about. Here in Namibia we just have certain brands and not that much of a variety.
  • nelja
    Doing a road race on Sunday.4 laps which is 54km in total. And there is one huge hill at the end of each lap. Do you have any races coming up? Tell us about it.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited November 2017
    Kind of bored of road cycling at the moment. I'll get back into it again, no doubt! I ride a TCR Composite 2011.

b75x0ex15a6b.png

Just miles and miles of this....erggh.

r979y245voia.jpg

MTB on the other hand, that's pure adrenaline..

My steed, Scott Spark 745. It's so comfy, and with a lockout on the fork and rear shock and can even drop some roadies! Only weighs around 13kg.

fd6hsu5tz00x.jpg

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    nelja wrote: »
    Doing a road race on Sunday.4 laps which is 54km in total. And there is one huge hill at the end of each lap. Do you have any races coming up? Tell us about it.
    No races for me in the near future. I'm done with Cyclocross for the year and just starting to emerge from my "I'm burned out after 10 months of training and racing and I don't want to look at my bike" phase. Mostly just riding when and how I want to right now with my coach throwing a few odd interval workouts at me here and there to try to maintain most of what we spent last year building. Proper base period starts probably in February. Until then it's gym time, lots of mountain biking, and probably a few casual group rides.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Cannondale - for inside, I just ride one of the stationaries at the gym.

49x6zza337rf.jpg
  • nitromaniac
    nitromaniac Posts: 2,479 Member
    edited November 2017
    Giant Contend 3 for inside and outside.ikncwtygzzlv.jpg
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    nelja wrote: »

54 km seems like a really good distance--and on the road, too! I had to cut back on my running (was doing half marathons) because of my ACL injury (plus the surgeon identified some arthritis on x-ray/MRI) so I am getting back into riding more than I was. I did a sprint triathlon this fall (1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 5k run) and did really well on the cycling portion--I think I might like to do more cycling races to keep myself busy. Cyclocross seems a little too rough and tumble for me still, and a gran fondo just seems too long...

I am a fair-weather cyclist though--my outdoor season is just about done--I prefer to ski in the winter time.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    edited November 2017
    Distance Bike: Trek 1.1 with half frame bag, solar panel and battery, handlebar bag, MKS pedals, and, of course, the obligatory Brooks B17. bvtl5crxsrmr.jpg
    Fitness/fun/grab and go bike: Trek 7.4 with hydraulic discs. nb932r6i288c.jpg
    Daily commuter: Trek 8.3 DS Gary Fischer edition, with 48V Lifepo4 e-bike kit installed. vvslg03gsft4.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I am a fair-weather cyclist though--my outdoor season is just about done--I prefer to ski in the winter time.

My cycling cuts back a lot in winter. I'd rather be skiing, but I can only do that on weekends. I'll ride after work if it isn't raining or blistering cold. But much less now. :disappointed:
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

f3gts92fjssc.jpg

axj1r48ndpoc.jpg
    43h1eq6ll74b.jpg

Beautiful! How many times do people start talking to you about the "Cerberus" brand like "Oh hey, I was looking at one of those, but I decided to go with a Trek!" :)

I've had a few people ask about the "brand", but I'm too honest. I should make up a back story and see how far I can go with it. "Cerberus? Yeah, they're a small, Canadian builder, founded by three ex-Cervelo engineers..." :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member

f3gts92fjssc.jpg

axj1r48ndpoc.jpg
    43h1eq6ll74b.jpg

Canadian flag?
  • NorthCascades
    mph323 wrote: »

f3gts92fjssc.jpg

axj1r48ndpoc.jpg
    43h1eq6ll74b.jpg

I've had a few people ask about the "brand", but I'm too honest. I should make up a back story and see how far I can go with it. "Cerberus? Yeah, they're a small, Canadian builder, founded by three ex-Cervelo engineers..." :)

Shut up and take my money!!1!one!