Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Vegan Debate - Are we truly Herbivores or Omnivores.

124»

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Obviously humans are omnivores, I don't think it's a serious debate. However, this means we are adapted to basically eat anything, not that we necessarily have to choose to eat both plants and animals. This is what let us thrive in various climates where food sources might be somewhat limited.

This also means we can make a conscious choice to not consume animal products if we so desire (or to only consume animal products).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    NoxDineen wrote: »
    Medical anthropologist and vegan here. Homo sapiens sapiens is an omnivore. The loonies who try to argue we're frugivorous blissfully ignore the entirety of palaeoanthropology and archaeology (the "paleo" diet folks at the other end of the spectrum are pretty off-base too).

BUT! While we were evolving as omnivores we evolved a super kickass brain which, as luck would have it, is an incredible example of exaptation (something that evolves for one reason becoming useful for another reason). So we are perfectly capable of using our brains to meet our nutritional needs as herbivores now. We also evolved consciousness, and consequently compassion.

Oooh, waves hi to another anthropologist!!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Medical anthropologist and vegan here. Homo sapiens sapiens is an omnivore. The loonies who try to argue we're frugivorous blissfully ignore the entirety of palaeoanthropology and archaeology (the "paleo" diet folks at the other end of the spectrum are pretty off-base too).

BUT! While we were evolving as omnivores we evolved a super kickass brain which, as luck would have it, is an incredible example of exaptation (something that evolves for one reason becoming useful for another reason). So we are perfectly capable of using our brains to meet our nutritional needs as herbivores now. We also evolved consciousness, and consequently compassion.

Vegans usually annoy me with there philosophies but you are AWESOME!!! Very well said and I respect you very much!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

I realize now after reading more that my post was just a rehash of this post. So could have just pointed to this.