Coming back from an illness or injury.

So, I caught the respiratory infection that was going around and I missed over a week at the gym. I'm feeling better (but still not 100%) so I decided to go back to the gym today. I could have gone Fri. but I gave myself an extra few days to try to get my strength back.

Good news / bad news. My chest didn't hurt or burn while I was running but I definitely suffered a setback. I was running 18 min. @ 6.4 mph after a 5 min. warmup walk before my illness. This morning, instead of being able to pick up where I left off, I was only able to run for 10 min. at that pace before I had to slow down. I walked @ 4.0 for 2 min. and then sped back up to 6.4. This time I was only able to run for 3 min. before I had to slow down again. This time, I walked for 3 min. and was determined to finish the last 5 min of running without stopping again. I was able to make it and even ran the last min.-and-a-half at 7.2.

How long is realistic to expect to be back to were I was? I'm going to try to push myself on Wed. to do the full 18 min. without stopping. By Fri, I would like to do it comfortably and by Mon. I'm hoping to move up to 18 min. @ 6.5 mph.

Replies

• lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    So, I caught the respiratory infection that was going around and I missed over a week at the gym. I'm feeling better (but still not 100%) so I decided to go back to the gym today. I could have gone Fri. but I gave myself an extra few days to try to get my strength back.

Good news / bad news. My chest didn't hurt or burn while I was running but I definitely suffered a setback. I was running 18 min. @ 6.4 mph after a 5 min. warmup walk before my illness. This morning, instead of being able to pick up where I left off, I was only able to run for 10 min. at that pace before I had to slow down. I walked @ 4.0 for 2 min. and then sped back up to 6.4. This time I was only able to run for 3 min. before I had to slow down again. This time, I walked for 3 min. and was determined to finish the last 5 min of running without stopping again. I was able to make it and even ran the last min.-and-a-half at 7.2.

How long is realistic to expect to be back to were I was? I'm going to try to push myself on Wed. to do the full 18 min. without stopping. By Fri, I would like to do it comfortably and by Mon. I'm hoping to move up to 18 min. @ 6.5 mph.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    When-ever we have a person that has been in surgery or ill for more then a day or two, we ALWAYS try to let them know that for each day that you are out expect two days of recoop time.
    So if you where out a week, it might take as much as 2 weeks to get your body back to where you where before.
    Now this is the WORST case, and normally for each day you are out of a HEALTHY person such as your self, when you are out for a week, it can take a week to get back to where you where before.

Sometimes 1/2 that time. But I like to say about a week is the norm. for a healthy person.
    --Diann...
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Also depends on how much of the crud you still have. Even though you feel better, you may still have congestion in your chest which is going to impact your VO2 max & your ability to exercise.

If you are still feeling a little under the weather, be patient. Also, try to get some fresh air. I was down at Presbyterian College yesterday, so I know the weather is nice in your neck of the woods; get out there!

Just as you feel a bit weak, suddenly you will feel fantastic. Patience is key!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Well... I went back to the gym this morning and things were definitely better, just not back to 100%. I was able to run for 13 min. before I needed to take a break. I walked @ 4.0 for 3 min. and then was able to run the last 5 min. @ 6.4. I did not try to sprint out the last min. like last time. As always, I did the 5 min. warmup and cooldown routines.

Generally, I am feeling better. One of my colleagues was down-and-out for two full weeks with this mess. I'm going to try to work out with the tennis team this afternoon to get a little extra movement in my day. Then I get to go home and wrestle with a 4 y.o. It's mad fun but I doubt it counts as exercise. :bigsmile:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    So I was told it would take 2 months for muscles in my back to heal from my doctor so it will probably be 4 months before I can do a dance cardio dvd with the same intensity and not hurting? That's depressing:sad: :sad: and frustrating :explode: at the same time. That just makes me feel like crying!