What am i doing wrong?

Hi everyone!
I am frustrated and im hoping i can get some answer to why this is happebing! I started excersizing and diet 8 weeks ago at 150 pounds living a very sedentary lifestyle prior. The first 3 weeks i lost 6 pounds and the scale hasnt budged since! For six weeks ive been stalled at 144. Heres what i do
Ive been excersizing 5 to 6 days a week alternating between cardio hiit and strength training for 45 to 60 minutes in the mornings 1st thing!
In the evenings i walk on the treadmill speed 3.5 for 60 mins.
My diet consists of mostly whole foods with an exception or cheat meal every couple days for a dessert or pasta or something. I restrict my calories to 1300 a day. Sometimes i hit 1400. I drink plenty of water watch my sodium eat only lean meats seafood whole grains vegetables and some fruits.
So why am i not loosing weight?! My goal is to loose fat and build a little lean muscle. But primarly fat.
Could i be gaining some muscle from the prior sedentary lifestyle?
Am i restricting too many calories as i need 2200 to maintain weight ( i want to loose 2 pounds a week).
I am hoping for some help advice or answers. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    a few things:

losing 2lb per week is very aggressive unless you have 100lbs to lose?

you don't mention whether you weigh your food?

a 'cheat meal' every few days seems excessive?

going from completely sedentary to very active will cause your muscles to retain water

• @TavistockToad
    Curious, i dont weigh my food. And when i say cheat food i dont mean like junk food.. i mean like throwing i couple chocolate chips on my homemade protien balls that already have no carbs or sugar. Or like plain pasta in a whole food like manner.
    Do you know how to get rid of the water retention my muscles are possible holding on to?
  • @TavistockToad
    Curious, i dont weigh my food. And when i say cheat food i dont mean like junk food.. i mean like throwing i couple chocolate chips on my homemade protien balls that already have no carbs or sugar. Or like plain pasta in a whole food like manner.
    Do you know how to get rid of the water retention my muscles are possible holding on to?

if you're not weighing your food, you're eating more than you think.

is what way is a few chocolate drops or some pasta 'cheating'?

the water retention is for repair, you dont need to try and get rid of it, its normal and your body working as it should do. you just need to be aware of it.

This makes sense. Thanks!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Good advice here. You need to balance your diet and exercise to accomplish your goals. You will only reduce if you maintain a consistent caloric deficit, which can be hard if you are exercising multiple hours a day. Without caloric deficit, your exercising will have the happy effect of making you more fit, but not any lighter.

Hitting the deficit is usually a matter of measuring portions carefully. Also, don't eat back every single "exercise calorie."

Best of luck!
  • TavistockToad
    Also, don't eat back every single "exercise calorie."

Best of luck!

if you measure them accurately, you can
  • Do i need to eat back the calories i burn through excersize? I have heard many things and have not been doing that. I burn roughly 600 to 700 cals a day in excersize alone. I dont add that into my calories of 1300 a day. The 1300 solely relies on food. Some people say you have to eat them back others dont lol
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Hi everyone!
    I am frustrated and im hoping i can get some answer to why this is happebing! I started excersizing and diet 8 weeks ago at 150 pounds living a very sedentary lifestyle prior. The first 3 weeks i lost 6 pounds and the scale hasnt budged since! For six weeks ive been stalled at 144. Heres what i do
    Ive been excersizing 5 to 6 days a week alternating between cardio hiit and strength training for 45 to 60 minutes in the mornings 1st thing!
    My diet consists of mostly whole foods with an exception or cheat meal every couple days for a dessert or pasta or something. I restrict my calories to 1300 a day. Sometimes i hit 1400. I drink plenty of water watch my sodium eat only lean meats seafood whole grains vegetables and some fruits.
    So why am i not loosing weight?! My goal is to loose fat and build a little lean muscle. But primarly fat.
    Am i restricting too many calories as i need 2200 to maintain weight ( i want to loose 2 pounds a week).

You aren't losing because you are eating too much.
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    I exercise 5 days a week cardio, weights, work with a trainer and just started kickboxing. I eat healthy most days occasionally I have a treat day. In the past 5 months I’ve lost a grand total of 6 pounds but I’m down a pant size and 2 notches in my belt. Think of how your clothes are fitting. The number on the scale is just a number not an indication of health or fitness level unless you are quite overweight and at 144 pounds you aren’t.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017

that water retention is good for you. it's part of your body rushing resources into the muscles that you've been using so much.

it goes away of its own accord after a while. but try not to count on it as the 'when' is unpredictable. try to think of it like that 20 bucks you find in a coat pocket weeks or months after wondering 'shouldn't i have more money than this?'

eta: also, the 'wholesome' part of your diet is irrelevant as far as weight loss. not saying it's not great for other things, like better nutrition for you to build the new you. but don't count on anything helping you to lose weight just because it's 'healthy'. the weightloss factor is all about how much you eat, not what.
  • TavistockToad
    You aren't losing because you are eating too much.

@TimothyFish doesn't sugar coat his comments! (Dude!)

Yes, if you are currently truly overweight and were to really eat only 1400kcals a day while exercising off 700kcals in excess of your basic needs every day, you'd be losing weight at a dangerous rate, since no one can survive on a net of 700kcals. Something is not adding up!

OK doesn't weigh food, she is eating too much to lose weight
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Hi everyone!

> cheat meal every couple days
    Its way too much, it should be every 10'days or so! Here is something that you are doing wrong..