Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    denial first sign of addiction

Nah, I don't think so.....
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    This is the only social media I have. I don’t know if I’d call it an addiction but something certainly draws me here. For me it’s not about validation or wanting likes. I don’t care about that. It’s more comical entertainment, like soap operas and dumb reality shows. Sure they’re ridiculous, but it’s entertaining and you almost can’t wait to see what happens next even if you lose brain cells in the process. Idk, maybe it is addicting. *shrugs*.

Yep..this
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    So I was halfway listening to Good Morning America while I was getting ready this morning and they were talking about how social media is becoming an addiction almost as bad as gambling. That people are literally addicted to the validation of likes and shares.

What do you think? Do you think this is a real thing? Do you ever feel the need to pull back and take a break from it all to regroup and re-center? How long could you go without MFP, IG, FB, Snapchat etc?

MFP is my only "social" media, although originally I came on here for just the health tracking. Then I spend some time on the Gmail Help Forum, but that's more like work than social interaction. These are the two sites I look at as soon as I go to my computer or take up my phone - so yes, addicted.
  • Candy0516
    Candy0516 Posts: 399 Member
    I believe it can be addictive. People freak out if they can’t find their phone. It’s like a security blanket or something
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Candy0516 wrote: »
    I believe it can be addictive. People freak out if they can’t find their phone. It’s like a security blanket or something

i freak out coz my bank account and email is in my phone

I freak out because all my nudes are in mine.

• slimgirljo15

Yep.. these days our phones are so much more than phones ..I bank and even grocery shop on mine.
  • slimgirljo15

Yep.. these days our phones are so much more than phones ..I bank and even grocery shop on mine.

and pay bills

Yep..
  • slimgirljo15

and pay bills

Yep..

its basically a necessity for me now

Same for me.. I haven't used my laptop in over 18 months.. I do everything on my phone.
  • slimgirljo15

and pay bills

Yep..

its basically a necessity for me now

Same for me.. I haven't used my laptop in over 18 months.. I do everything on my phone.

a laptop whats that?

Lol..
  • slimgirljo15
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I know it's convenient and habit forming, but I don't get carrying around all my bank account numbers, account numbers and identifying information in a portable hand held device. I suppose there are security measures but yikes.

I store mine in my head, but I do all my banking via phone ..I don't think Ive been into a branch in over 3 years.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    As much as Facebook was fun when it first came out, at one point it became dull to me. To be honest it was primarily for hooking up with girls, all my posts, pictures, everything was like a little advertising thing. It was like a dating site for me but at the same time, I could also catch up with my friends and family too. So it was cool. But then one day, just out of the blue, I cut it off. It's been two years, never had Instagram either. Funny, while I had my fb account I would get a hundred of wishes for my birthday. Without Facebook, it came down to a dozen wishes, but from very dear people.

I don't know if it's addictive, but it is time consuming. So unless you're doing something productive, whatever that might be for you (business related, friendship, self promotion for whatever purpose, dating or any kind of gain that might mean to you), and you just post without really knowing why you do it, I consider it a waste of time.
  • OkChargerFan
    OkChargerFan Posts: 371 Member
    I think it’s completely real!
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    I can totally see it being true for some people. Especially the younger generation. Luckily, I'm older so I don't really care about validation from people or things. I'm already barely here on mfp anymore and really only use IG. My goal though is to slowly start to remove myself from all social media, disappear, and just try to enjoy life again one day.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I would not call it an addiction for me. I haven't been on Facebook in like 6 months, I go on IG maybe once every 3 days. But the only reason I am here is for the social aspect of it. It's not like you can say 10/10WB to your real friends, ya know. But I can definitely stay away, there's many days that I am bored with it.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    So I was halfway listening to Good Morning America while I was getting ready this morning and they were talking about how social media is becoming an addiction almost as bad as gambling. That people are literally addicted to the validation of likes and shares.

What do you think? Do you think this is a real thing? Do you ever feel the need to pull back and take a break from it all to regroup and re-center? How long could you go without MFP, IG, FB, Snapchat etc?

Your post only has 1 like.

Good thing I don't live and die by internet validation.

So you're willing to take a 30-day break from all those things you listed?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member

Your post only has 1 like.

Good thing I don't live and die by internet validation.

So you're willing to take a 30-day break from all those things you listed?

I could, of course.
    I'm not going to just because someone else tells me to though. I'd do it if I felt the need to step back. I have absolutely no issue cutting things off.
  • veezybell
    veezybell Posts: 104 Member
    Social media addiction is a real thing, just not for me. I don't have Snap, IG, or FB. I could never log on to MFP again and be unaffected. I think it's mainly because ppl are so focused on putting up a front and trying to gain approval from others for the sake of self-esteem.