Coming home from work is the worst...

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    This is why I started IF (intermittent fasting) not because it has magical powers, I still count the calories I eat but I usually get home at night around 5:30 or six with the majority of my calories left to eat before bed. I eat about 300 calories at about 2:00 and the rest between 6-10
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Now these are some good questions to ponder over.
    I am a single mom of 3 children and I work 2 jobs.
    I am exhausted when I come home without willpower.
    However, my oldest is now 14. I think it is time for him to start helping me with the dinner. So I don't feel overwhelmed with the chopping and cooking. Then I won't go to my old stand by, Mr. Frozen pizza.
    Thanks for the good questions!
    I am thinking I need a new plan for meal prep that involves my children.
    I can tell I developed way too many bad habits and rituals.

I understand! Some days it's about all I can do to not make a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese and eat the whole thing! (Which I've done many times in the past!) I could also eat a whole frozen pizza by myself! If you do have to go to that old stand by, after your kids get theirs, could you just maybe scrape the toppings off of one slice, put it over the toppings of another slice, and just eat the one slice? Maybe only half the crust of that one slice? The toppings aren't as bad as the crust. Last night, I ordered Pizza Hut Pan and just ate the toppings. Next time, I'm just going to order just the toppings! I asked the manager if they'd do that for me, and he said YES!

Also, don't vilify snacks. Snacks can really help you stick to your diet. Of course the snacks aren't gonna be chips or cookies. String cheese is a great healthy snack. Or celery and peanut butter. Figure out what snacks you can eat that won't break the calorie bank, and keep them stocked in the fridge or pantry. They can really help you out between lunch and supper. Doesn't have to be eaten before bed time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Suggestions that might help: Consider adding in/moving a snack after work or on the way home. Preplan snacks you can have at home while fixing dinner. Drink some tea or water. Have a piece of dark chocolate. Take a short walk when you get home.
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Dinner is my hardest time as well. For me I think it’s the structure of the work day that makes the day easier. I pack what I pack and that’s what I eat. The busier I am the less I think about food. On my way home I’m usually starting to get hungry again and I’m thinking about dinner and tend to grab a snack. It’s worse for me when I don’t have a plan for dinner. I’m better when I know I have something yummy in mind to make. I also try to make sure I only buy relatively healthy snacks, so I don’t totally blow it.

What works best for me is that I tend to save most of my calories for dinner anyway, because I do like to eat a nice big dinner. I don’t always eat breakfast, or I have a lower calorie protein shake or bar. I keep them right at work for when I am hungry. I find I can skip it altogether some days. I have a healthy lunch of around 300 calories and that leaves me plenty left for dinner, and whatever snacks I might grab.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I guess this won't work for some people, but my big cooked meal is actually in the middle of the day. There really is no struggle with how I end it at night with the lighter stuff. I'm within my calorie goal 95% of the time.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    For me it's not about dinner specifically, but about relief of pressure (work) and celebrating (food) return to comfort (home). Food was how I was accustomed to allowing myself relief and pleasure. And the mechanics of dinnertime can be tough, lots of GREAT suggestions above on how to handle that.

But for me, it's always the emotional game that I have to stay with - if I "decide" I "deserve" more food, it's over. Protection against that weak moment is consistent logging, that way I am REALLY breaking faith with myself (and my friends, shared diary) if I mess up; and the knowledge that I am meeting, and will continue to meet, my goals if I stay with my plan and keep rigorously honest about food.

That sounds small but knowing that I am making and will make progress has changed EVERYTHING for me. That's the comfort.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Some good advice has been said but id like to add be careful to make changes gradually, Allow time for them to work- If they work good youve learned whats going to work long term. If it doesnt work, Youve given it enough time to work and just hasnt. Reflect on why and try something new. To many people get into a circle of just changing everything way to fast never giving anything a time to work or learning what did. Small changes at a time and thn stick to them for a bit.

Id start with a smaller breakfast/lunch and fit in a snack before coming home :p little changes
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    How about grocery shopping online (if you have Clickist or something similar near you)? You can avoid putting things in your cart that you hadn’t planned for, organize your meal plans, add in a few extra things for the kids, and save an hour each time.

Also, great idea to get the 14 year old on board - it’s never too early!!
  • last_jennifer
    last_jennifer Posts: 75 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Some good advice has been said but id like to add be careful to make changes gradually, Allow time for them to work- If they work good youve learned whats going to work long term. If it doesnt work, Youve given it enough time to work and just hasnt. Reflect on why and try something new. To many people get into a circle of just changing everything way to fast never giving anything a time to work or learning what did. Small changes at a time and thn stick to them for a bit.

Id start with a smaller breakfast/lunch and fit in a snack before coming home :p little changes

You are on to something, I need to get a journal to reflect on all of these changes.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I was always ravenous when I got home from work and I had to modify my "routine" for work days so that I ate a mini-meal around 4 PM. Of course I was hungry - it had been several hours since my modest lunch, and still a few hours before supper. You'll figure out what works for you, too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    For me it's about never getting too hungry. You obviously need to pack a car snack or something, and planning ahead for dinner so you have what you need to make the right thing - it could be that simple. I too save a lot of my cals for dinner but during the day I'm putting something in my face every two hours or so. 250 cal small breakfast before the gym, 150 cal snack after, 300 cal lunch, 200 cal snack - if I've done a good 300 cal workout I might still have 8-900 cals for the evening, maybe more.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    How about a slightly lighter lunch and substantial snack late in the afternoon, so you aren't as hungry while preparing dinner?

It's also possible to prepare your dinner at some other time, such as on weekends, so dinner time is mostly a matter of selecting from what's already made. Or at least prep for dinner - you mentioned chopping. If you have a fridge full of chopped veggies with the date and time on them ready to go, you will be less likely to waste them and go for something else. You could also cook simpler meals for dinner.

At my house, I prep things that take a lot of time to cook in advance, such as a pork tenderloin, roasted vegetables, and whole grains. We often cook for two days and eat leftovers the next day. And at least one day is a planned day when I don't have to cook - we order in healthy food from a nearby restaurant for lunch and dinner, and my husband makes breakfast.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

You are on to something, I need to get a journal to reflect on all of these changes.

The MFP diary is a great thing to use as a food / lifestyle journal!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Breakfast calories.....perfect

Lunch calories......awesome

Dinner.....diseaster

Snacks.....never feel the urge to eat anything before bed

I am tired of losing will power on the way home to work and while I am making supper for my family. If I can find the strength during that block of time, the scale would be actually moving down and I would not feel like such a loser for not having better self control.

Is dinner time tricky for you?

Are you hungry while cooking? Maybe have a small planned snack in the afternoon before you get home.
    Chew some gum or suck on a mint while cooking.
    Use things like feed the freezer/once a month cooking, slow cooker, breakfast for dinner (generally fast cooking) or convenience foods. As long as you stick to your calorie goal it is fine to eat spaghetti or a frozen pizza and a salad.
    You mention in this thread having your kids help more. I started cooking dinner for my family when I was 13 or so and my mom was working. Cooking is a great life skill.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I have the same problem if I ate lunch early or not enough. Youre not alone.
  • 10alliemarie
    10alliemarie Posts: 66 Member
    This is totally me! I am working towards ending this though. I started planning dinners for the week this week. Just started yesterday. I have a feeling that this is going to help a lot. I went to the grocery last night and spent less than normal, too. My plan is to get home and start cooking right away so I don't have time to snack.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I do IF to solve this problem. I love having a nice big dinner after a long workday and feeling full until bedtime.

Breakfast: 0 cals (I just sip on tea for the work morning)

Lunch: 300-400 cals (homemade soups, protein bars, oatmeal, salads)

Dinner: 900-1000 cals (nice big filling dinner and dessert!)

Once you get used to have a calorie-light workday, it becomes very very easy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I am so glad , you all have strength and will power , good for you guys. I shouldn't have posted this post . Now I feel beyond stupid.

awww dont feel stupid. i can be pretty blunt too, and im sure, like me, they dont mean to hurt feelings or make someone feel bad.

i plan all my meals. i know what im having for dinner every day. that is what mostly helps. I plan snacks, that sometimes i eat and sometimes i dont. have a piece of fruit or something small before you leave the office so you dont feel like a starved lioness when you walk in the door. i also plan for some chocolate after dinner ;)

planning and pre logging helps ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    another ting i do is if i want a second serving - i wait 10 minutes. give my food time to digest. give my brain time to catch up with my stomach. most of the time, i really dont want a second serving and pass on it, after giving myself that 'cool down' period.