Less alcohol - Nov 2017 - one day at a time

Replies

• Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Good news and bad news today. Bad news is one glass of wine asnd one harvest ale with a delicious dinner at El Dorado. Good news is the great food and that limited quantity of alcohol and no feeling of need fort more. Doesn't hurt that I have to be up at 6 AM to leave for a swim meet! Also stayed within my calorie budget, maintained my planned deficit. HooRaw!
  • Jockimom
    Jockimom Posts: 26 Member
    naomiday85 wrote: »
    5cheetahs wrote: »
    I've managed to limit myself to 2 glasses of wine each evening. Awesome job to everyone who has cut back completely! I'm not quite there yet. Baby steps for me.
    2 glasses in my house is a bottle...

I was just going to say something like this! I was at a friend's house last night and her glasses were so tiny that we split a bottle of wine and it took 6+ of her tiny glasses. For those of us who drink ritually, a smaller glass could really make a difference.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited November 2017
    ljockimo wrote: »
    naomiday85 wrote: »
    I've managed to limit myself to 2 glasses of wine each evening. Awesome job to everyone who has cut back completely! I'm not quite there yet. Baby steps for me.
    2 glasses in my house is a bottle...

I was just going to say something like this! I was at a friend's house last night and her glasses were so tiny that we split a bottle of wine and it took 6+ of her tiny glasses. For those of us who drink ritually, a smaller glass could really make a difference.

It really helps me. I switched to small wine glasses that fit in my dishwasher, and do 2-4oz at a time. It helps so much. So does really strong hibiscus tea at room temp, between glasses. It’s dark red and sour. I’d use non alcohol wine, but I can’t find it where I live. I’ll have to stock up the next time I’m in the neighboring state.

Oh, my faux martini was good. I used 2oz vermouth 1tsp gin, and 1tsp olive juice. Still has alcohol, but not quite as much as a normal martini, and fewer calories. I really just love the taste of them.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Well, the wine order arrived and the gaps in the wine racks are filled. Now we see how effective the self control, helped by these challenges, really has become. Keep on keep'n on!!
    So far so good today.
  • lauzjacobs
    lauzjacobs Posts: 21 Member
    OMG two beers & I'm like give me a pizza now! no self control what so ever
    So I'm taking control. limiting to 2 beers Thursday night & have dinner portioned over from night before.
    Keeping apple juice in the fridge (put into a wine glass) if friends drop in unexpectedly no one suspects its not wine.
    Check back next week let see if it goes to plan
  • cmrose23
    cmrose23 Posts: 8 Member
    Today is the first time I’ve had a drink in November. Two mixed drinks and that’s it! Relaxing at home, I think I deserve it.
  • IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    I’m failing. I need a plan.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    I’m failing. I need a plan.

Are you more worried ab calories, or alcohol consumption?

Consider satisfaction, rituals, and being buzzed (I have to admit.. I like the buzz :P but I do go past where I need to just bc I’m holding a glass)
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Good call. I'm a heavy drinker but haven't had any so far in November. I'll see if I make it to the end of the month or not.
  • naomiday85
    naomiday85 Posts: 38 Member
    First weekend in such a long time that I haven’t had a drop of alcohol, that’s right... not one drop
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Hello all I would love to participate in this challenge and you all are very inspiring as well. I feel this is one of the reasons I am not succeeding in my weight loss. This weekend so far no wine or other alcoholic beverage. :)
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    edited November 2017
    Friday - went out to dinner with friends. I volunteered to drive. Had one small glass of wine and that was it.
    Saturday - off to a film with hubby and dinner afterwards... Had mineral water instead of an aperetif but did have half a bottle with the meal. He was treating me and I wasn't driving!
    Sunday - home cooked low fat venison thai curry with 2 glasses of white wine so a bit naughty.
    This week
    Monday - aiming to have no alcohol tonight
    Tuesday - out with a friend and driving so no alcohol
    Wednesday - at home with hubby so could be tricky...may have one glass of wine with meal. But will I stick to one?
    Thursday - out with my cousin over from Canada but driving so no alcohol
    Friday - home alone so no alcohol

I rarely drink when on my own - more a social thing for me so maybe I need an alternative prop when out socially.....

That is the intention! Lets see how it goes :-)
  • FattieBabs
    You guys inspired me, no wine tonight, had pomegranate tea. It was hard but I'm looking forward to a restful nights sleep.

did it work?
  • FattieBabs
    Jenny that is amazing! well done - do let us know if this is reflected on the scales - you deserve it .
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    Jenny that is amazing! well done - do let us know if this is reflected on the scales - you deserve it .

Thanks so much. The support really goes a long way! Knowing I was going to come here to give an update, knowing I have accountability partners IRL, my hubby supporting me....it really helps.

I haven't really seen a huge difference in the scale. But I've also been focusing on strength training and weights, so I tell myself I'm getting more muscle and try not to focus to much on the scale. But I can *see* the difference in my belly, for sure. MUCH less bloated and puffy. Since I got back to a regular workout routine/schedule and stopped drinking (literally since Nov. 1 for both), I've only lost about 3lbs on the scale. But my body already looks different and hubby said he can already see a difference.

Again, thanks for the kudos. They really help! :)
  • FattieBabs
    That is great to hear Jenny. I can't exercise easily due to hip injury but am finding this thread is really making me think about my consumption... I need to get my hubby on board as, sadly, he tends to derail me... But when home alone I am not tempted so am relieved by that! I do appreciate everyone's honesty on here as it is a difficult thing to discuss amongst one's own friends... Would love to have a less bloated tummy!
  • IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    Still have not made my first no alcohol day.... maybe today.
  • rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    I know I'm late to the party (very late) but I would like to try this also.