Chardonnay....30g of carbs!! No way!!!

BrownsFan19
BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
So I’ve only been on lchf for 2 weeks now, but I’m all in. Totally loving it. Lost 7 pounds so far and more importantly i feel freaking smazing! I haven’t cheated at all!
So today , my husband and I had a date and I decided I wanted a couple glasses of wine. I knew to stick with the dry wines, so grabbed a Chardonnay first. It was gross. Not good. So halfway through I switched to pino noir. Yum. Delicious. I finished both glasses. Anyways.... just went to enter them in to my food diary and holy cow!!! The pino noir was only 3.4 g carbs which was fine. The nasty Chardonnay.... 30 g of carbs! Seriously!!! I haven’t had that many carbs on an entire day since I started. Plus it was gross! I seriously could have had a small McDonald’s fries for less carbs than that wine. Ugh. I wanna cry....

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    That seems wrong. What entry did you use?

One example:
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-wines-chardonnay_f-ZmlkPTEwODM4OQ.html
  • BrownsFan19
    It was Woodbridge Chardonnay. One of the mini 5oz bottles
  • BrownsFan19
    I just looked at another site and it says 5g. Wow! I hope this second site is correct!!! Headed to do more research. .....
  • BrownsFan19
    kirkor wrote: »

I think you are right! Looked on their website and it’s only 3.8!!! Thank you so much for your post. I’ve been pissed off for over an hour!!!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Oh man, so glad that got cleared up! Yeah 30g seems high. But I've had it happen before where I didn't check something first and it backfired!

A restaurant put bbq sauce on my bunless burger and I thought it might be 3-4g carbs, but got home to discover it was 16g! Bummer.

Glad your gross chardonnay wasn't a double whammy of disappointment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Some people ADD carbs to their wine entries (thus ruining things for others). Someone posted once that their trainer or dietician or whatever TOLD them to do that.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Good reminder to always cross check all MFP database entries to be used in our diaries. It is absolutely FULL of incorrect entries. I wish MFP would remove the option to "share" user entries including user recipe entries though others may find that option favorable. Can't please all the people all of the time. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    yeah unless it was a sweet wine, even if it was 30 seems really high. the dry wines are typically 2-5g per 5 oz glass
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Some people ADD carbs to their wine entries (thus ruining things for others). Someone posted once that their trainer or dietician or whatever TOLD them to do that.

Yeah I agree, all wine should be put in at zero carbs, that's a much better way to go, it would save me drinking quite so much gin!! :D
  • BrownsFan19
    yeah unless it was a sweet wine, even if it was 30 seems really high. the dry wines are typically 2-5g per 5 oz glass

Thank goodness because if I had to choose between being overweight and wine...Wine may win! hahahaha
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,751 Member
    Don't trust MFP data, go to this web site instead. BrownsFan19, I agree wine might just win :D

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • ekfulton
    ekfulton Posts: 24 Member
    I made the same mistake and was horrified at the carb count- figured it was an error
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Good reminder to always cross check all MFP database entries to be used in our diaries. It is absolutely FULL of incorrect entries. I wish MFP would remove the option to "share" user entries including user recipe entries though others may find that option favorable. Can't please all the people all of the time. :)

I just wish there were some kind of sort function on the database. There's no rhyme or reason to the way entries come up.
  • kpk54

I just wish there were some kind of sort function on the database. There's no rhyme or reason to the way entries come up.

Agree and the same is somewhat true for "recent foods" and "frequent foods". I'm sure some folks wonder why I've gone to the trouble of creating my "Top Foods" list under "My Meals" when there are MFP categories such as "frequent foods" and "recent foods".

I've not found much use (though there is some) in regards to "frequent" and "recent". 6 months ago I may have eaten MCT Oil "frequently" enough for it to still be on my "frequent" list but I've not used it for at least 6 months and it is still there. Additionally, my food choices are intentionally varied enough that many/most of the foods appearing on my "recent" foods might be recent but will not be eaten on the day I am creating my food diary.

Both the recent and frequent lists seem to have a numerical limit to them (not sure since I don't use them regularly). By finding a food item in the data base that I eat often enough, taking the time to verify the entry is correct, then saving it by an appropriate measure (such as 1 ounce) as a single item under "my meals", I have eliminated the need to search the database over and over.

I have my default set to "My Meals". If I am having peanut butter, I'll type "pe" in my search and peanut butter and peanuts come up. AND it is the type of peanut butter or peanuts I buy AND the entry I used to create it, is correct. All I do is enter the amount. Done.

I've been here 4 years and still keep a food diary most of the time. More by choice than by need. My "hack" was well worth the time it took to create. :)

Back to wine and database errors. Sorry for the diversion.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Wow, @kpk54! Sounds like a bit of work. That's why I gave up logging a while ago. I just got pissed off. I use a ton of different food items and stuff just kept falling off my lists and I'd have to re-find it in the MFP main foods database. Forget it! I also cook a lot by whatever is in the fridge at the moment, so my Chili (for instance) will never have the same amounts of the same things twice, lol. And My Meals are not always the standard 3 items on the plate (or whatever), sometimes I will take a portion of that meal (1 part of the recipe) and pair it with something else that strikes my fancy at the moment instead. Fortunately I just know generally by now what is low in carb and good for me to choose. And if it's new to me I carefully read the Nutrition Facts or look it up on a better curated site. Luckily I am at or barely above maintenance goal for the past while.
  • kpk54
    edited November 2017
    Ugh. I know. I never save meals either. I rarely combine the same things in a meal so why save it.

What I save (repeating myself to claify) is individual foods under the "my meals" category. "My Meals" seems to be the best spot for it though illogically titled for my purpose. At least so far, nothing has been dropped unless I purposely deleted it (unlike the "Frequent" or "Recent" lists). I have about 130 food items from almonds to zucchini. Additionally it can be sorted unlike the "my foods" list. I use it alphabetically.

Tonight's dinner was a smorgasbord of fish mostly: wahoo, grouper, mahi, sheepshead (a fish), potato, cauliflower, butter, avocado oil. I have "My Meals" set as my default. Clicked on each of the 8 food items. Changed each from 1 ounce (or tablespoon) to the appropriate quantity as needed. DONE. 5 seconds.

My diet is such that I don't split hairs over some things. I change yogurts frequently but the brands I purchase are very similar. Always Greek, always plain. Always the same fat percent. So if I happen to be having Taste of Inspiration brand, it will get entered as Fage since that is the one I saved. Close enough!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Ugh. I know. I never save meals either. I rarely combine the same things in a meal so why save it.

What I save (repeating myself to claify) is individual foods under the "my meals" category. "My Meals" seems to be the best spot for it though illogically titled for my purpose. At least so far, nothing has been dropped unless I purposely deleted it (unlike the "Frequent" or "Recent" lists). I have about 130 food items from almonds to zucchini. Additionally it can be sorted unlike the "my foods" list. I use it alphabetically.

Oh, darn it so the couple of hours I've just spent re-creating and putting things in my foods I should have put into my meals for ease of use! When I'm feeling stronger I'll have a look :'( especially if it can be sorted and deleted!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I too use guesstimates when logging some foods, as most of the brands in Japan are different from US ones. If I can log via the bar code, sometimes the product is already in MFP, which is handy.

And while we are on the topic of wine.... don't do as I did last Thursday and go out with the gals... I am such a lightweight drinker now, that 2 glasses is about my liver's limit. I got rather inebriated, to say the least. Beware people topping up your glass! cheers
  • kpk54

Oh, darn it so the couple of hours I've just spent re-creating and putting things in my foods I should have put into my meals for ease of use! When I'm feeling stronger I'll have a look :'( especially if it can be sorted and deleted!

Maybe not. I started my list a few years ago in "My Meals" and have just continued with it over the years in that category. I've not spent time in the "My Foods" category over the last couple of years.

I recall from years ago, when I would search the massive database and note that something was incorrect (usually did not have sodium entered), and would EDIT it (by answering the prompt "is this correct"), the food (as corrected for my purposes) would automatically go to "My Foods". Keeping in mind I don't use the "My Foods" list currently, I see that now it has an "edit" feature that may come in handy. Good example would be updating to include potassium if someone wants to keep track of potassium. Most database entries do not currently have potassium since it has not been required on food labels. Effective July of 2018, potassium will be required. If I had everything under "my foods" versus "my meals" it APPEARS as though I could update the micro nutrients more easily.

I have lots of things on today's "To Do" list that I DON"T want to do and can be done later. I might just spend the day procrastinating. Instead of completing my "to do" list I might explore some of the newer features in MFP and how it CURRENTLY works. Right now I am sitting here at my desktop with tablet and cell phone on different screens. It appears that one can do some things in the desktop (website) but not the app and visa versa (which has always been the case).

Whether one saves under "my foods" or "my meals" might be subject to which version of MFP one uses most frequently...to be continued...maybe...I realize that for many people this discussion gets an "I don't care"...LOL.