Best Running Headphones

Folks - looking for recommendations for running headphones. I must have strange ears. Have always used apple products but the in ear seems to never stay put for me. Maybe I have sweaty ears

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I use YurBuds and I really like them. They're comfortable for long runs and they stay in my ears no matter what.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    For wired, I like the Sony MDR AS200 series that I switched to when Earhuggers brand went away.

I'm still looking for a good set of wireless.
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    I have the exact same problem, any headphones I buy even the smallest earbud falls right out! Bought some i-hip bluetooth athletic headphones the other week for £10. Didn't need anything fancy, just the ability to do my dance fitness at 5am without disturbing anyone & something that would hook up to my laptop. Have to say I am astounded. The sound quality is clear as a bell & the have these jelly ear pieces that don't fix into your ear canals (just sit there) & the bits that hold it in actually fix into the creasy bit in your cartilage. I bounce around for 40-50 mins each session & they don't budge one bit. Being cordless too is a real bonus.
  • FitForSam13
    FitForSam13 Posts: 6 Member
    Sounds brilliant will have a look at these. Many Thanks people

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    Check Tanga.com for Yurbuds, there are a number of different styles there for <$10/pair. Have had the same pair of the around-the-ear iron-man branded ones for a few years. Pretty decent sound quality, rarely come out, use them for running, lifting, and cutting the grass.
  • briancurtis7
    briancurtis7 Posts: 1 Member
    Are you looking for wired or bluetooth? YurBuds are a good go to, I've used them for years with minimal issues. If you really wanna shell out the money (like $150) and go bluetooth, I currently use the JayBirds (freedom?). Sound is AMAZING. I also own a pair of powerbeats, but they drive me crazy. The sound quality for beats are good.... if they stay in. This is where the JayBirds shine. Downside with JayBird is their user manual is extremely vague and lacking in info, so be prepared to have a little learning curve with them.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Plantronics Backbeat Fit for running. They're not earbuds so you don't have to worry about them falling out of your ears and they let enough ambient noise in so that you can maintain awareness of what's going on around you.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2017
    For working out, I really like my JBL Reflect wireless earbuds. I don't use them for running, but they'd be just fine for that.

SOL Relays get an honorable mention, but aren't as secure as the JBLs.

Yurbuds get a footnote because they are as secure as anything I've used, but the sound quality is terrible.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    These are great and light. They are bulky, though, so they don't work well with winter hats (if you have to deal with that nonsense). I've used them for 3+ years and run quite a bit.
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2017
    The only earbuds I've found that stay in my ears are the Bose earbuds. They sound decent, don't fall out, and are comfortable enough that I can wear them for hours.

People either seem to love them or hate them - I'm just happy they don't fall out. I've tried lots of other styles and brands but these are the only ones that seem to work for my ears.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I like powerbeats3 mostly, but they're a bit on the bulky side (at least compared to airpods)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I like to run with non-earplug-style headphones only. When you plug the ear canal the cord transmits sound to your ear very efficiently, meaning you hear it flapping against your body. If you don’t believe me, try it with the sound off. This applies to my Bluetooth headphones, which still have a wire between them and fall out of my ear anyway. The ones I like are standard Samsung plastic earbuds which don’t completely plug the ear. Unfortunately, they keep breaking, but you can buy them very cheaply on amazon. I’m still searching for the perfect long term solution.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I actually like bone conduction headphones for running. I have these, but there are others: https://www.amazon.com/Aftershokz-AS600IG-Titanium-Conduction-Headphones/dp/B018XNGPD6

They don't go in your ear, but rest against the side of your head just in front of your ear and transmit the sound through the bone. Since your ears are open, you can still hear everything around you. Sound quality is good I guess, I mainly listen to podcasts and old time radio shows when I exercise and not music so much.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I like to run with non-earplug-style headphones only. When you plug the ear canal the cord transmits sound to your ear very efficiently, meaning you hear it flapping against your body. If you don’t believe me, try it with the sound off. This applies to my Bluetooth headphones, which still have a wire between them and fall out of my ear anyway. The ones I like are standard Samsung plastic earbuds which don’t completely plug the ear. Unfortunately, they keep breaking, but you can buy them very cheaply on amazon. I’m still searching for the perfect long term solution.

Have you tried something not noise-cancelling that allows ambient noise? I am obsessed with my Plantronics Backbeat Fit headphones because they fit in such a way as to allow some outside sound to filter in, which is both safer and less irritating if you're sensitive to the sound of the cord. They're Bluetooth, water resistant, have a solid battery life, and sturdy. I sing their praises all over MFP but they really are great outdoor headphones.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    After going through a million pairs of cheap headphones I bought these at Best Buy about a year ago and I love them. They weren't that expensive. I think I paid $20 for them. They've held up well and I sweat like a pig...it's a miracle they haven't shorted out or something.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-as210-sport-earbud-headphones-black/5581070.p?skuId=5581070
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    After going through a million pairs of cheap headphones I bought these at Best Buy about a year ago and I love them. They weren't that expensive. I think I paid $20 for them. They've held up well and I sweat like a pig...it's a miracle they haven't shorted out or something.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-as210-sport-earbud-headphones-black/5581070.p?skuId=5581070

I got mine at target, but yeah. They're fairly stout.
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2017
    I agree with a couple of the above posters on Yurbuds. I absolutely LOVE mine, have been using them for the last five years or so.

ETA I have not tried any of the Bluetooth versions so I cannot speak to those.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I had the Jaybird Freedom ones and they were decent. I just shut them in my car door though and popped one of the pods open. Currently has a hair tie around it but now I lost on of the silicone covers and I don't have any more left as they pop off too easy and disappear. If you get those ones, be careful of the covers, maybe find a little case or baggie to carry them around in.
  • mrswiggum
    mrswiggum Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have been through so many headphones/earbuds, ranging from $20 to $150, over the years. The best ones I've found are the Bose SoundSport wireless earbuds with Bluetooth. They have different sizes of silicon bits to fit your individual ear size, the way they're shaped helps them stick in your ears while you run, they are comfy and soft, they have really good sound quality, and they have no cord to attach to your phone/music player for you to whack and break. They are a bit pricey, but absolutely worth the extra money, in my opinion. I literally have nothing bad to say about them AT ALL, and I'm SUPER picky about my headphones.

Amazon link here.