Pre-made spaghetti squash

Hi there - Has anyone found a pre-made spaghetti squash? I'm hoping there's a frozen variety but not finding. Thanks!

Replies

• brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    I’m getting into that stuff because of the low calories and I haven’t seen any frozen but I just made from scratch yesterday, it’s super easy. I made it in a regular oven but apparently you can also cook it in a microwave.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I would love a frozen version. It may be easy to make but I don't trust myself with sharp objects. :)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    It's super easy in the microwave...cut in half, bit of water in the center, microwave for five minutes, scrap innards out with fork. I don't know of any frozen...I imagine it would turn out soggy when prepared.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I've seen bags of it in the fridge at Target lately but it's so easy to deal with fresh I never felt like paying the extra. Also in the bags it's in chunks which takes half the fun away :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I've seen bags of it in the fridge at Target lately but it's so easy to deal with fresh I never felt like paying the extra. Also in the bags it's in chunks which takes half the fun away :)

I think it would have to be in chunks since it doesn't get stringy until it's cooked. Maybe one whole side could be peeled and frozen.
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    thanks for all the ideas! trying not to sound lazy but sometimes i am and don't want to deal with the shredding... haha
  • Need2Exerc1se
    hughjazz74 wrote: »
    thanks for all the ideas! trying not to sound lazy but sometimes i am and don't want to deal with the shredding... haha

Frozen or fresh, not sure how could get around that except to simply eat it in chunks. Which is fine, it tastes good in chunks. It just won't look like spaghetti.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2017
    I haven't seen it around here, but if you're into other vegetable swaps, I know some publix stores have started selling pre-cut zucchini, yellow squash, and sweet potato noodles. Also, you may find riced cauliflower and/or broccoli in the freezer section.

Oh! And a good tip for cutting the spaghetti squash (because holy crap they are ridiculous hard to cut), just use a little saw from a 99cent pumpkin carving tool set! Works great. Bonus tip: try cutting the squash horizontally like this: https://eatwithinyourmeans.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash/ The "noodles" are longer this way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    hughjazz74 wrote: »

Huh?

You don't have to shred spaghetti squash. Once its cooked, you just pull it out of the skin with a fork - comes out easily - and it comes out in spaghetti-like strands all by itself.

It's not like spiralizing/shredding regular winter squash. Spaghetti squash just grows that way. The flesh looks solid until you cook it, then it just comes apart in strands.

I just cut in half - using a heavy knife that I tap with a hammer if the squash is an especially solid one, scoop out the seeds (you can roast those later), put the halves cut side down on a lightly-oiled cookie sheet or pizza pan, roast at 375F until it softens (takes quite a while, 30-60 minutes or so, poke it with a knife to check), then pull out the strands with a fork.

You can also boil or microwave whole (stab a couple holes in it so steam can escape!) then take out the seeds after.

Easy!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    It was years ago, but I think I remember cooking and feeling a bunch in batches, and it was fine reheated (just had to drain off the extra moisture).
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    This guy cooks several squash at once and freezes some for later use. Not as easy as store bought, but it is pretty easy.
    http://cavemanketo.com/video-spaghetti-squash/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It's super easy and takes no time (but for the cooking), and I'm like the laziest person ever. The pulling it out with a fork is not difficult.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    A little off topic but if you're looking for pasta subs I found frozen spiraled carrots at Trader Joe's a couple of month ago. They were tasty and very easy to prepare.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Shiratke noodles and broccoli slaw are both things I sub for spaghetti, partly bc they are really fast. I like the broccoli slaw seasoned like pad Thai, and I eat the shiratake as Mac n cheese, or w marinara. I love spaghetti squash, but I don’t like cooking it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Buy whole bunch when on sale, cut, roast, pull, portion and freeze. Enjoy year round.

Does that work? Seems like it might get too mushy in the freezer if it's cooked before freezing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Buy whole bunch when on sale, cut, roast, pull, portion and freeze. Enjoy year round.

Does that work? Seems like it might get too mushy in the freezer if it's cooked before freezing.

Experiment ;) but yea it does work. Just done overcook it. I like to cook mine until its still a tough. Then pull and let it rest a bit.
    Also just buy cut and freeze. Cook later in the instant pot from frozen. High pressure at 6 minutes and quick release.

I wasn't going to try it. I was just wondering. It's so simple to cook from fresh and has such a long shelf life the whole idea seems a little crazy to me.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Funny.

I've tried spaghetti squash a couple of times but there's something about it that I just can't stand. Never finished it and have always thrown most of it down the disposal.

Of course, I don't buy or make it anymore. ;)