how many calories do you eat a day?

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    I'm 5'6, 145-150. My averages for the past few weeks have been between 2,000-2,200 and I have been maintaining. I am trying to cut down to 1,850 with the goal weight of 130. The weight is coming of 0.2 by 0.2 at a time but if I went any lower I would be so hungry. I am hoping I can make 1,850 my new normal.
  • momagsg1
    momagsg1 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 5'1" and currently fluctuate between 110-112 pounds. I do 30-60 minutes of cardio kickboxing probably 4 days a week. I aim for 1700 calories a day, though I think I'm usually closer to 1800-2000, but I guess I'm not actively trying to lose weight or anything. I have an office job so I sit most of the day. Whenever I've calculated my daily calorie needs, it always says I should eat no more than 1400ish to maintain my weight. Umm sorry....WHAT??!! That is so low and whenever I have tried to eat 1400 or less, I feel super restricted which makes me want to eat all the foods. I love to bake and sorry, can't give sweets up ;)
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    @momagsg1 I’ve been sooo tempted to try cardio kickboxing, but everywhere I look, it’s insanely expensive!
  • 5K85
    5K85 Posts: 98 Member
    I’m 5”6’ and I eat probably 1300 a day. :)
  • vinxvenus
    vinxvenus Posts: 4 Member
    1300-1400. Physical activity is 5-6 days out of the week.
  • active_kate
    active_kate Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2017
    Depends on the day, and what I'm doing.

My target is 1,200. Yesterday, I ate 410 calories. I was around 2,000 a few times in the past month, had two days where I only ate 300 calories worth of Ramen, and a treat/binge day that topped out at 4,300 Calories.

When I'm involved in something, I lose track of time. Yesterday, I had breakfast and started working on building a bed frame. I finished up around 6PM, was tired, so I went to bed. All I had was a breakfast sandwich, and that was fine - I had no real hunger to speak of. This morning, I'm starving, so I'm going to go get breakfast at subway.

On my exercise days, I can end up eating a lot of calories just trying to keep my deficit reasonable. At 6'8", it's pretty easy to burn calories, and 25 mile bike rides (or an hour or two of Dance Dance Revolution) burn a lot of calories.
  • mfpmishka
    mfpmishka Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2017
    5'8, 126lbs, 33yo, active woman (workouts 4-6xper week). I eat around 1800 on weekdays, around 3500 on weekends, my weekly average is between 2300-2600. I get angry and energy depleted when I eat less.
  • bribucks
    @mfpmishka Wow - and my 6’3” husband struggles to get 3000 in a day! Would you mind sharing some of the things you eat to get in that many calories?
  • mfpmishka
    edited November 2017
    @brianneangell08 I eat 3000 only on weekends, not everyday.
  • mfpmishka
    edited November 2017
    @brianneangell08
    Maybe you should ask @sardelsa, this superwoman eats 3000 each day ☺
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    mfp gives me 1450 for 1/2cal/day but i end up with 1550
  • jasminnatale
    jasminnatale Posts: 30 Member
    I’m 5’4, 144 pounds and 36. I had been at 1200 a day doing kickboxing 4 or 5 times a week and couldn’t seem to loose anything past 6 pounds so I just recently went up to 1400 after reading up on my BMR. I would like to loose 10-15 more pounds, and tone up. So hopefully this works! Getting a bit frustrated
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Haha @mfpmishka thank you, but I am no superwoman!

@brianneangell08 if your husband is struggling, he might be eating too many vegetables or high fibre foods. Don't get me wrong, nutrition is important, but when you are eating that many calories, it isn't going to be more beneficial at that point. Also too much protein can be filling, so as long as he is getting 0.8-1g per lb lean body mass/bodyweight, that is good.

Calorie dense food helps.. oils, butters, avocado, nuts, nut butters, granola. Carbs - bagels, pasta, dried fruit, candy .. and higher fat cuts of meat and fish. And of course the fun foods.. ice cream, cookies, kid's cereals.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    5' 5" with 6 more lbs to get to my goal weight

I try to stay in between 1200 - 1400 calories.

MFP has me at 1360 calories, losing .5 lbs a week

Feel free to add me :)
  • bribucks
    @sardelsa He really doesn’t eat too many vegetables, just has never been a big eater. For lunch he usually has just a ham sandwich and pretzels, even though I tell him he should take something with more calories like chicken & rice or pasta. But I guess, you can lead a horse to water but can’t make him eat haha!
  • Zeuggma
    Zeuggma Posts: 157 Member
    I always love seeing threads with other stats to compare. Helps me fine-tune my intake to myself. :)

I'm 5'3" and weigh 143 currently. I started at 170 lbs and have eaten around 1500 a day to get to where I am this time around. Trying to get down to 135, but mostly aiming for 20% bf, where ever that is. I'm active 5-6 days a week, so I don't plan on adjusting my calories, but just to let the weight come off slower.
  • brendajfg
    brendajfg Posts: 6 Member
    I'm 5ft 2. I shoot for 1200 a day but I'm on a ketogenic diet (for MS) so it's hard to get in all those calories and keep my macros in sync.