40 inch waist really that bad for a male?

Replies

• theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited November 2017
    Very similar proportions to my husband.
    Except he is 53 and lives in the land of Denial.
    That is until recently.
    As a type two diabetic, he has been eating what he wants.
    Taking medication and laughing about his Beer belly.
    That is until he was told he will now be on Inslin for the rest of his life and that he has permanent liver damage.
    You have the opportunity to reverse your Beer belly!

That is toxic fat that is choking your internal organs and damaging them.
    You might be young, but that won’t guarantee you can’t contract disease because of belly fat.

Act now. Lose that belly fat and do it now-
    Before your second chances are gone.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    thats more than a little beer belly ;)

my Fiance is 47 years old, 5'6, 150 and a 28/30" waist.

work on bettering your health, before you start to have problems. :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    tyrindor wrote: »
    Your gut looks much bigger than 5' 10" 181, no offense. It's definitely not healthy. You need to lose weight, so stop making excuses! For reference, I currently have a 44" waist and I am 23 pounds into the "obese" category. At my current rate, I will be out of obese in about 6 weeks.

You want a <36" waist as a male. That doesn't mean get 36" and stop either, 36" is the upper limit of healthy. You want to be about 150-160 at your height, if you do no lifting.

Don't know where you're getting that. 39.5/40 is what all the current research says.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2017
    Your post made me giggle simply because you remind me of my boyfriend.

He is 6 feet tall and 226 pounds, I took this picture of him the other night...

j240mjlye4ug.jpg

He keeps saying "Its not that bad" and i keep saying to him "Okay, whatever you need to do to rationalize it"
    He too says he doesn't consider himself over weight and backs it up by adding that he has a better body then other guys close to 40 with big fat stomachs.. His pants are size 40 but he still uses a belt to keep them up so my guess is he isn't quite to a 40 inch waist yet.. however, When i met him he was 198 pounds, he is excessively over eating on calories (clearly) however won't take any of my advice because he believes the 30 min of cardio every second day that he is doing is fine. I worry about him because he's pretty deluded about life in general so until he gets sick, he won't change. I hope you are more willing to listen to the advice here then he would be.

It isn't just the waist measurement, the "beer bellies" in all of the pictures on this thread are there due to visceral fat. Much healthier to have the uglier jiggly fat than those hardish bellies that look like the guy is pregnant or just swallowed a basketball.

Oh.. yes, we are expecting twins.. he's even picked out some very terrible names. lol

Lol hard to believe he almost kinda sorta had abs before he met me.. im like krytonite lol

qtjtoxtqu9o4.png
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member

It isn't just the waist measurement, the "beer bellies" in all of the pictures on this thread are there due to visceral fat. Much healthier to have the uglier jiggly fat than those hardish bellies that look like the guy is pregnant or just swallowed a basketball.

yep, all of this. my husband is not overweight, in fact he's slim, apart from developing one of these (as did his dad). However he has recently tackled the problem, and is back into size 34 work pants, and they are held up with a belt. It's a very unhealthy for men to develop a stomach like this, it places a lot of stress on the internal organs or so I've read?
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    ginababin wrote: »
    does....he know you're posting his pics here?

Yeah, he doesn't care. lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...those hardish bellies that look like the guy is pregnant or just swallowed a basketball.

Whenever I see those bellies (and that's quite frequently, actually, and on younger and younger guys these days) I automatically think heart attack and low testosterone. It just flashes into my mind first thing. And not in a judgmental way. I feel concern, like, "I hope that guy's gonna be alright...looks like he's on the way out." (I've known several round-bellied guys with serious early-onset health complications, like diabetic-related sepsis at age 28, heart attack at 33, etc...) I know a person is not their body, but as a health-conscious person, it's an association I make unconsciously. I keep it to myself in RL, though. No need to hurt anyone's feelings. :/
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Hey all,
    Recently put on some weight and was reading up about waist size. I was a little shocked to find out that my waist size is unhealthy and apparently puts me at risk. I am 24 yo, 5'10", 181 lbs with a 42 inch waist. I've gained about 15 lbs in the last 8 months or so and probably 5 inches on my waist. I'm okay with it but I know I've got a little beer belly now :o and I'm definitely a bit softer in the middle than I was LOL but I was shocked to see that a waist over 40 inches is considered very unhealthy. Should I consider losing weight for health reasons? Is anybody else surprised?! LOL slwu8hcqf450.jpg

Very unhealthy. With that much around your waist, you probably have a significant amount around your heart.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Thanks for the advice all! The honesty has been sort of a reality check. I've got to get back to eating healthy and staying in shape

Best of luck.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Just a note that pant size <> waist size. I can get into 36W, but my waist is over 40". I've got a ways to go yet.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20120605/waist-size-alone-may-predict-diabetes-risk#1

Waist size is the best predictor of diabetes. You are 22x (twenty-two times) more likely than a healthy male to get diabetes, which would make you much more likely to die each year of a heart condition, go blind, or lose your feet.

If I were you, I would start a daily walking program and start modifying my diet today.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    As much as we all disdain BMI as a health metric, this is a good example of where it can actually come in handy - to help people who don't know they may be overweight at least ask the right questions.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    As much as we all disdain BMI as a health metric, this is a good example of where it can actually come in handy - to help people who don't know they may be overweight at least ask the right questions.

But BMI has nothing to do with waist measurement.