40 inch waist really that bad for a male?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    As much as we all disdain BMI as a health metric, this is a good example of where it can actually come in handy - to help people who don't know they may be overweight at least ask the right questions.

I have to disagree. If people don't realize they are overweight after looking in the mirror and seeing bodies like those shown in this thread, no type of metric like BMI is going to help. Nothing is going to get through that level of denial.

Specific benchmarks can be helpful, even if those benchmarks are somewhat questionable. Take the OP for example, he did not realize he needed to consider his weight until he became aware of a specific metric (waist size) to compare himself against.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    First thought, "Well, duh, you can wear your jeans below the belly." Fewer consequences for males. Women can't get away with that.

Second thought, "ooooo sexy"

After reading your post, well yeah. You are at a higher risk. Carrying around that sack of potatoes has also got to be hard on your back, your knees. You won't be doing a marathon any day soon.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    As much as we all disdain BMI as a health metric, this is a good example of where it can actually come in handy - to help people who don't know they may be overweight at least ask the right questions.

I have to disagree. If people don't realize they are overweight after looking in the mirror and seeing bodies like those shown in this thread, no type of metric like BMI is going to help. Nothing is going to get through that level of denial.

Specific benchmarks can be helpful, even if those benchmarks are somewhat questionable. Take the OP for example, he did not realize he needed to consider his weight until he became aware of a specific metric (waist size) to compare himself against.

I get your point. He ignored the mirror but the 40 inch waist thing got him thinking, I suppose a high BMI might help some other people in denial.

It still shocks me that people can see a huge gut and think they aren't overweight or at risk health-wise. I wear size 30 pants and sometimes worry I'm a little too soft in the middle.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    You're 24. As you go through your 30s, 40s, 50s you'll experience increasing health issues related to your obesity - many of them major. Overweight is a risk factor for heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, back problems, joint problems, sleep apnea, and more. You have plenty of time now to make permanent lifestyle changes that will keep you healthy and happy for the rest of your life. I'm 70, and wish I had done so 40 years ago rather than waiting until my 60s to get my act together (I'm at 187lbs, 36 inch waist down from 265lbs and a 44 inch waist, and can stand to lose some more weight).
  • Shorelivin42
    Shorelivin42 Posts: 22 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    First thought, "Well, duh, you can wear your jeans below the belly." Fewer consequences for males. Women can't get away with that.

Second thought, "ooooo sexy"

After reading your post, well yeah. You are at a higher risk. Carrying around that sack of potatoes has also got to be hard on your back, your knees. You won't be doing a marathon any day soon.

True marathons aren't really my thing LOL but I could def. stand to start walking or jogging and will probably get back to the gym and pay more attention to what I eat every day. My metabolism isn't what it was a few years ago! I'm finding out out the hard way!
  • Shorelivin42
    edited November 2017

I get your point. He ignored the mirror but the 40 inch waist thing got him thinking, I suppose a high BMI might help some other people in denial.

It still shocks me that people can see a huge gut and think they aren't overweight or at risk health-wise. I wear size 30 pants and sometimes worry I'm a little too soft in the middle.

I don't really feel like I have a huge gut honestly. I definitely softened up a bit and got a little round but never thought it was that bad! Which is kind of why I was shocked about 40 inches being considered so awful. But reading up on it did bring it to my attention. So that's true! Because my BMI isn't bad so I never even thought I could be considered overweight -- until I read about waist circumference.
  • Shorelivin42

I definitely noticed I had softened up and gotten a bit round but I just didn't realize how unhealthy it was. But reading up on waist size being such a serious health factor helped me understand that. I still don't feel like I'm insanely out of shape but thanks to the community here, Im feeling enlightened and I could certainly stand to lose a bit at least. I may have been in denial but reading up on waist size helped me realize I should do something..
  • Shorelivin42

I don't really feel like I have a huge gut honestly. I definitely softened up a bit and got a little round but never thought it was that bad! Which is kind of why I was shocked about 40 inches being considered so awful. But reading up on it did bring it to my attention. So that's true! Because my BMI isn't bad so I never even thought I could be considered overweight -- until I read about waist circumference.

You didn’t think you looked overweight in the picture you posted? How would you describe your look in that picture?

Not trying to be a jerk, just struggling to understand.

Basically, what I said in the OP. I had gained 15 or so pounds and knew I put on a little. I wouldn't refer to myself as skinny anymore but I didn't think I was outrageously out of shape either. I have some rolls when I sit and don't really fit in my pants I bought last year so yeah I knew I gained weight. I didn't know it was that bad is what I'm saying
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Hey all,
    Recently put on some weight and was reading up about waist size. I was a little shocked to find out that my waist size is unhealthy and apparently puts me at risk. I am 24 yo, 5'10", 181 lbs with a 42 inch waist. I've gained about 15 lbs in the last 8 months or so and probably 5 inches on my waist. I'm okay with it but I know I've got a little beer belly now :o and I'm definitely a bit softer in the middle than I was LOL but I was shocked to see that a waist over 40 inches is considered very unhealthy. Should I consider losing weight for health reasons? Is anybody else surprised?! LOL

I'm a bit more than double your age, and exact same height. My waist is 32, but occasionally reached 34 where it never stayed too long. You definitely should consider getting it under control now while you're still young.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    My sons 17 years old and size 40.. it does look like he needs to lose weight.. He isomer 6ft tall so not what I consider huge but yeah is too big. But I am lost as what to do for him.. The more I try to control him the more he sneaks junk.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    My sons 17 years old and size 40.. it does look like he needs to lose weight.. He isomer 6ft tall so not what I consider huge but yeah is too big. But I am lost as what to do for him.. The more I try to control him the more he sneaks junk.

At 17, you're not going to be able to "control" what your son eats. All you can do is manage what's available to eat at home and set an example by your own healthy habits. He's old enough that he will have to make the decision to get to a more healthy weight on his own.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Just a note that pant size <> waist size. I can get into 36W, but my waist is over 40". I've got a ways to go yet.

Yupper. With the possible exceptions of Santa Claus and Gomer Pyle, few men wear their pants up around the actual waist.

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Can I just point out that the perspective of OP’s belly is quite distorted from the angle of the pic.

I absolutely agree this is not a healthy looking body, as per my previous posts, but keep in mind the degree of ‘gut’ and has been accentuated in this particular image.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    A 40 inch waist is fine if you are 7 feet tall

You a fat man or pregnant.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    mygrl4meee wrote: »

You're in denial. A 17 year old with a size 40 waist is huge. Remember the pants size is generally the bigger than the waist size, so his actual waist is probably more like 42-44.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    the waist size differs on different people at different heights and different body composition.
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    The stats given in the original post suggest a BMI of just on 26, but the pic looks closer to 33 or so.