Can you gain weight without ingesting anything or is my scale busted? lol

Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So Ive been wondering about my scale for a while but I tested out of curiosity today. Took my weight twice before I left twice when I came back from somewhere. All I ingested was a sip from a water fountain and one chip between leaving and coming home. Same clothes, same spot on the floor where I weighed - I gained 1 lb. lol. Also, any scale recommendations? I was considering just rebuying the one I have but maybe not. I have a Bowflex Caloric and BMI Scale. Someone said water retention and not my scale...that's why I asked in the title. But retention within a few hrs without drinking much of anything? o_o

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    I dont take the small amounts that seriously. I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day if I dont drink enough fluids. If you are like me and have the habit of stepping on the scale every time you pass it, you might want to slow down. I keep telling myself I will stop it, but so far NOPE. I just dont take it seriously.

Pick a time of day to weigh and stick with that. I swear I am going to not weigh myself the whole month of December.
  • Verity1111
    edited November 2017
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I dont take the small amounts that seriously. I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day if I dont drink enough fluids. If you are like me and have the habit of stepping on the scale every time you pass it, you might want to slow down. I keep telling myself I will stop it, but so far NOPE. I just dont take it seriously.

Pick a time of day to weigh and stick with that. I swear I am going to not weigh myself the whole month of December.

The point was to see if it's working right due to weird readings though. You can gain weight without eating or drinking anything???
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    My weight normally fluctuates 1-4lb depending on the time of day and it is completely normal for me regardless of what I’ve eaten or done on that specific day

Literally without drinking even water?? It seems impossible o_o I cant recheck now to see how its working tho I drank a giant diet coke but still Lol at the time I had nothing but 1-2oz water which obviously weighs 1-2oz and then 1 chip (like 5grams lol) so I dont get how I could go up 16ounces.
  • Verity1111
    edited November 2017
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Your scale's probably a little wonky. If it has a changeable battery, putting a new one in might be a good idea :)

This seems more likely to me. It has been a long time for the battery. Good idea...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Home scales aren't accurate to a pinch, and environmental factors can affect. I don't imagine that you could gain a lb without ingesting a single thing, but if the temperature changed in the room where your scale is between those times, that could be enough to affect the inner workings and have it give a slightly different result.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    water weight!! drink more water!! consume less sodium

She didn't drink any water between weighing...
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Step away from the scale. Do not weigh yourself repeatedly.

Seriously.

Once a day, morning, after your potty chores, naked or in the same pajamas each day, will give you the most consistent reading possible. When them it can vary by several pounds based on digestive rate and water retention. This is why experienced folks look at the trend over time and ignore the small jumps up and down every day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Something as simple as standing in a slightly different position on the scale can cause that. I've stepped off the scale and then right back on and gotten different readings.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    So Ive been wondering about my scale for a while but I tested out of curiosity today. Took my weight twice before I left twice when I came back from somewhere. All I ingested was a sip from a water fountain and one chip between leaving and coming home. Same clothes, same spot on the floor where I weighed - I gained 1 lb. lol. Also, any scale recommendations? I was considering just rebuying the one I have but maybe not. I have a Bowflex Caloric and BMI Scale. Someone said water retention and not my scale...that's why I asked in the title. But retention within a few hrs without drinking much of anything? o_o

If you don't eat, or drink anything, or use the bathroom then no your weight really shouldn't change too much. You can lose water from sweating, and breathing, but that shouldn't be too much in a short period of time unless you are working out or an excessive sweater. The problem with people and scales is that they don't understand that most scale can change each time you step on it, just because it's a stupid scale and has a margin of error.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Also, you are thinking about this way to much, and you don't seem like somebody who can actually handle weighing yourself so often. Some people can, but most people it's not good for their mental stability in this journey. If you think you can handle and understand how the body fluctuates everyday, weigh yourself every morning naked right after you wake up after going to the bathroom, and leave it to that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Put a known weight on it. Like a dumbbell. It's how I check mine.

But yeah, you need to not think about this stuff so much.
  • Verity1111
    Shalaurise wrote: »
    pogiguy05 wrote: »

The point was to see if it's working right due to weird readings though. You can gain weight without eating or drinking anything???
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    My weight normally fluctuates 1-4lb depending on the time of day and it is completely normal for me regardless of what I’ve eaten or done on that specific day

Literally without drinking even water?? It seems impossible o_o I cant recheck now to see how its working tho I drank a giant diet coke but still Lol at the time I had nothing but 1-2oz water which obviously weighs 1-2oz and then 1 chip (like 5grams lol) so I dont get how I could go up 16ounces.
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Your scale's probably a little wonky. If it has a changeable battery, putting a new one in might be a good idea :)

This seems more likely to me. It has been a long time for the battery. Good idea...

Not sure why you asked since you already knew what answer you would accept.

Notice the extra questions as in IF incorrect HOW is the other possible. Somehow you missed that.