Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are abs made in the kitchen?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2017
    FAAB_too wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I believe you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. I think it takes both nutrition and exercise.

What about a mediocre diet, can you exercise your way out of that? A decent one? Where's the line?

I was more speaking of fast food as a staple, fried foods, sweets, a bag of chips, very high calorie foods, etc...Like if you eat 5000 calories a day and only burn 2000 sort of thing. I wasn't saying you had to be full on salad and pine nuts. I was speaking of good choices and moderation. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

the only part of this that is actually accurate is the eating 5k calories and only burning 2k...the rest is invalid as far as it goes.

you can eat fast food all the time and still maintain/lose weight same as other foods oh and hit macros consistently.

I am sorry I commented. I was obviously speaking from my own experiences. That's why my original comment started with I believe....i thought these forums were to share experiences and what works for us. I apologize for upsetting the flow.

This is the debate forum so no it's not to share personal experiences, it's to debate a topic. That's all anyone who replied to your post was doing.

Quick tip - If you search for titles in the "Recent" list and don't like to be challenged, make sure you take a glance at which forum the post is in before responding. Although, unless you are in "Motivation & Support" if you post something that can be easily disproven by science and state it as a fact, you will be challenged. That's just kinda how we roll :drinker:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I believe you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. I think it takes both nutrition and exercise.

What about a mediocre diet, can you exercise your way out of that? A decent one? Where's the line?

I was more speaking of fast food as a staple, fried foods, sweets, a bag of chips, very high calorie foods, etc...Like if you eat 5000 calories a day and only burn 2000 sort of thing. I wasn't saying you had to be full on salad and pine nuts. I was speaking of good choices and moderation. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

the only part of this that is actually accurate is the eating 5k calories and only burning 2k...the rest is invalid as far as it goes.

you can eat fast food all the time and still maintain/lose weight same as other foods oh and hit macros consistently.

I am sorry I commented. I was obviously speaking from my own experiences. That's why my original comment started with I believe....i thought these forums were to share experiences and what works for us. I apologize for upsetting the flow.

This is the debate forum so no it's not to share personal experiences, it's to debate a topic. That's all anyone who replied to your post was doing.

Quick tip - If you search for titles in the "Recent" list and don't like to be challenged, make sure you take a glance at which forum the post is in before responding. Although, unless you are in "Motivation & Support" if you post something that can be easily disproven by science and state it as a fact, you will be challenged. That's just kinda how we roll :drinker:

Even in Motivation and support, some stuff will be challenged... MLM/Herbalife, cleanses, VLCD, etc.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Not for me. While the deficit is the important driving factor, I lost my weight without exercise and ended up with a high bodyfat % no abs or definition to be seen. Next time around I incorporated strength training with the deficit and it made a huge difference.

I second this! I've been into working out since I was a kid and have counted my macros consistently as long as I can remember. For me, abs were not made when eating at a deficit and doing endless cardio. My abs finally popped through when I started lifting heavy, doing heavy core workouts and focusing on eating at maintenance to build all that muscle.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Even in Motivation and support, some stuff will be challenged... MLM/Herbalife, cleanses, VLCD, etc.

Fair point. I rarely go in there! At least though the argument "But I thought we were all supposed to be supporting each other!" has some merit there LOL
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

Fair point. I rarely go in there! At least though the argument "But I thought we were all supposed to be supporting each other!" has some merit there LOL

I try to be a bit nicer when I'm over there... and I don't even bother with Keto or Diet of the week woo.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    rchelen wrote: »
    The scale won't move with diet alone for me. I have to workout every single day to see any losses. :(

then you are logging inaccurately...

exercise is not a requirement for weight loss otherwise lots would be in trouble and not losing weight and then there are those who lose and don't exercise...

For me personally, it seems to be a requirement for less-painful weight loss. I knew that by exercising, I was managing my stress better. Which meant less stress-eating. Because I exercise 'long' rather than 'intense' (2 hour walks? Yes please. 20-minute runs? No thanks.), I had less time on my hands. Ergo: less boredom eating.

And I liked the extra calories; even eating back half of them I didn't feel hungry and I was losing pretty steadily.

For three days after the surgery, I was... disinclined to exercise. I'm on medical restriction not to lift over 3lbs for the next week, so there goes strength training. And my oncologist is referring me to a hospital dietician to work out a safe exercise program for core, because he's not sure what bodyweight exercises are okay right now. More than that, I had a catheter in me and didn't really want to go walking outside in case of... embarrassment.

I figured: no biggie. Just eat the base 1240 I'm on now to lose 1lb/week and forget the exercise calories. I was hungry. Okay. So I'd revise it to 1/2 lb/week and eat around 1450. Still hungry.

Monday, the catheter came out. Tuesday, I went for a walk. And suddenly, the hunger became controllable again. It wasn't even a long walk by my standards. (An hour. Like I said, I often do two.) But it was enough to get back in the saddle.

I agree with you 100% that you can lose weight without exercise. I've done it before. But I find that for me, exercise makes it a lot easier.

yes less painful weight loss but not weight loss.

I exercise..a lot...but that's stress relief and so I can eat my treats when I want.

The point is that exercise is not a requirement for weight loss...it might make it easier but it's not a requirement.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    I’ve read countless articles that say diet is 80% and exercise is 20% of the weight loss factor. There are even articles that say exercise is only 10%. How true is this? Have you lost weight without exercise? Are abs really made in the kitchen?

Nope. People who have formulas are just trying to sell them to you.
    Either it's an article, a diet, a book or whatever, they're interested in you believing that things are more complicated than they actually are.

The kitchen is where you make a choice between calorie deficiency or surplus.
    Everything else is work.

No one develops muscles by going to a Brazilian Steakhouse and loading up on "protein".
    No one gets ripped by going on an 800kcal day diet. You may get skinny, but not ripped.

I've swung from 7% all the way to 34% body fat after a bad knee injury.
    My abs were better displayed when I was around 12%.
  • zt27
    zt27 Posts: 11 Member
    You have to build them to have them, but you need low body fat to see them.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    ilfaith wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

Brownies are also made in the kitchen.

The struggle is real.

maxresdefault.jpg

this is my favorite post I have ever seen on this site.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    I'm under the opinion that we all have good abs but they're just covered by body fat. Getting your abs to show through is a case of being below a certain body fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    I'm under the opinion that we all have good abs but they're just covered by body fat. Getting your abs to show through is a case of being below a certain body fat.

believe it or not some can't have a six pack due to genetics...
  • PAFC84

believe it or not some can't have a six pack due to genetics...

Its OK. I plan on keeping mine covered up with some fat lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

I didn't have a good muscle base when I first started out so no, not for me.
    This is me, years ago..almost underweight. I wouldn't call that good abs. I don't know my bodyfat but I really had nothing left to lose.
  • PAFC84

This is me, years ago..almost underweight. I wouldn't call that good abs. I don't know my bodyfat but I really had nothing left to lose.

I stand corrected. Although to be honest, I've no real interest in having visible abs
  • sardelsa

I stand corrected. Although to be honest, I've no real interest in having visible abs

Just for fun, this is me now, 3 years later, about 10lbs heavier. No crazy abs but they are definitely larger due to muscle growth. I would imagine if I wanted them to be very pronounced progressive overload during my bulk cycles would help bring them up. But that is not a goal of mine so I don't train them very often.
  • PAFC84

Just for fun, this is me now, 3 years later, about 10lbs heavier. No crazy abs but they are definitely larger due to muscle growth. I would imagine if I wanted them to be very pronounced progressive overload during my bulk cycles would help bring them up. But that is not a goal of mine so I don't train them very often.

The extra weight suits you; you've got an athletic figure. Hope that doesn't come across creepy. What are your goals? To be strong and healthy?
  • sardelsa

The extra weight suits you; you've got an athletic figure. Hope that doesn't come across creepy. What are your goals? To be strong and healthy?

Thanks! :)

Right now.. build muscle (especially in the glutes), get stronger, get more fit, have fun!
  • PAFC84

Right now.. build muscle (especially in the glutes), get stronger, get more fit, have fun!

Strong glutes are hugely important. I'm guessing you lift. If so, what do you find fun about it?

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a lower back issue- ironically I've had my neck adjusted which was causing my left pelvis to be out of sync and my left leg to be shorter than the right. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to lifting weights next year as its been almost 18 months without.
  • sardelsa

Strong glutes are hugely important. I'm guessing you lift. If so, what do you find fun about it?

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a lower back issue- ironically I've had my neck adjusted which was causing my left pelvis to be out of sync and my left leg to be shorter than the right. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to lifting weights next year as its been almost 18 months without.

Ah sorry to hear that. The good thing is if you were doing it before, it comes back (usually pretty quickly).

Well I wasn't always into lifting, I was more about the cardio in the past. I still do love being active and fit.. but now my focus has changed a bit.. it's fun to see results, gain strength, my programming is fantastic and has tons of variety so I always look forward to being in the gym.
  • PAFC84

Ah sorry to hear that. The good thing is if you were doing it before, it comes back (usually pretty quickly).

Well I wasn't always into lifting, I was more about the cardio in the past. I still do love being active and fit.. but now my focus has changed a bit.. it's fun to see results, gain strength, my programming is fantastic and has tons of variety so I always look forward to being in the gym.

Yea that's what I'm hoping for. I'm going to get my new friend whose a strength coach to check my form. It was a long standing issue which I should have had looked at. It could have been a lot worse though.

Like you say, I think having fun is half the battle. Trying new things to keep you challenged etc.