Atkins Support Group

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    I'm so used rotisserie chickens being a no no food-so I never thought of that! All i have been eating for the last few months is skinless chicken breast :/ Do you eat the skin on rotisserie chickens on Atkins?
    Tuna and egg salads! Great idea!
    Thanks guys

You can eat the skin if you want on Atkins. I usually don't just because I don't like it. But its added fat.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Suprised to find this as i thought atkins was shunned here.
    There will always be people who are ignorant and like to make blanket statements and claim that this is a terrible diet for everyone, that it's only for people who don't want to exercise, yadda yadda yadda.

But if it works for you, and you feel great and have more energy, then it's the perfect diet. For YOU! And for me! Sure, it's sometimes hard dealing with a carb craving. But I never experience those nasty carb comas. I have a ton more energy. And I don't retain nearly as much water as on a traditional diet. AND! I exercise. So take that, naysayers!
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Hey guys!

I just posted a new topic if you are interested:

Basically its a place to buy sell and trade clothing... since yall are all getting so skinny ;)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/307790-buy-sell-trade-hcg-clothing
  • dittiepe
    There will always be people who are ignorant and like to make blanket statements and claim that this is a terrible diet for everyone, that it's only for people who don't want to exercise, yadda yadda yadda.

But if it works for you, and you feel great and have more energy, then it's the perfect diet. For YOU! And for me! Sure, it's sometimes hard dealing with a carb craving. But I never experience those nasty carb comas. I have a ton more energy. And I don't retain nearly as much water as on a traditional diet. AND! I exercise. So take that, naysayers!

I'm with you! I mean, hell, I'm currently doing a 1k/day calorie burn including the 30DS, and if it was like they all claimed, I shouldn't be able to finish any of that. Right?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    MIM is allowed in induction. :) Flax meal is basically zero net carbs because they are almost all fiber.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

I did induction for several months and had a MIM nearly every morning for breakfast. I like to add a tablespoon of cocoa powder in place of the cinnamon (same net carbs). It's very tasty!
    OMG tried it this morning and LOVED it! Especially with butter; I can't wait to try the variations of it. I need to mix it a little more, though cause I had some eggy bits. However, I mixed it and was like, This isn't going to work. It looks yucky. How's a minute in the microwave gonna help?? Well I took it out and it had risen almost to the top of the mug and popped out like a dream!! If you haven't tried it- give it a whirl. Thanks so much for the link!!
    I'm so glad you liked it. I think it's awesome! I've made a savory version using granulated garlic and onion that I microwaved in a bowl. I then sliced it lengthwise and used it to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Yummy!

One suggestion I might make is to wash out the cup immediately or at least fill it with water to soak. The mixture sets like cement. :)
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    I also tried the MIM this morning for the first time and LOVED IT! I'm so glad there is a substitute for bread, as I'm a bread lover although it was sabotaging my weight loss
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Why do people think that this Is a diet for people who don't want to exercise?? I have more energy to exercise doing this diet than when I was eating sugar..
  • SueInAz
    Why do people think that this Is a diet for people who don't want to exercise?? I have more energy to exercise doing this diet than when I was eating sugar..
    Because it's easy to bash something you haven't tried based on things you've heard about it. I still get a laugh out of people who call Atkins a "fad" diet. A fad is something that's here today and gone tomorrow. Atkins has been around for over 30 years which makes it the very opposite of a fad.
  • cobylea
    Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a sweet snack? I'm in the induction phase and get a craving for something sweet every once in awhile. The most that I've tried is an Atkins Advantage bar or a diet soda. There must be something else??
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    I've been toying with they idea of doing Atkins since I joined MFP @3 weeks ago. It worked for me several years ago and this past winter I was on it for about a month and lost 10-15 lbs but didn't keep it up. I was under a lot of stress at work and couldn't stay away from bread and pastries! Now I don't have that job anymore and since I have been paying attention to my calories and avoiding sugar, sweets, pastries and most processed foods I think I am ready to take the next step to Atkins. I have to weigh in tomorrow and if I don't see what I hope to see (as I think I won't) then I am starting my day off with steak and eggs for breakfast! Everyone's posts on this thread have been so inspiring! :)
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a sweet snack? I'm in the induction phase and get a craving for something sweet every once in awhile. The most that I've tried is an Atkins Advantage bar or a diet soda. There must be something else??

If you can find Land o Lakes whipped cream in the cans it is sweetened with Splenda and has 0 carbs. Otherwise, regular canned whipped cream has about 1 gram of carbs per serving and as long as you don't eat the whole can it is not too bad. I bought a whipped cream maker on amazon and make my own. You can use Splenda or stevia for a sweetener plus you can add your own flavorings as long as they are zero or low carb.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member

I'm with you! I mean, hell, I'm currently doing a 1k/day calorie burn including the 30DS, and if it was like they all claimed, I shouldn't be able to finish any of that. Right?

Exactly. I guess my husband who has been doing Atkins for 7 years shouldn't be able to do crossfit daily, run regular 5k's, etc. if Atkins causes you to have no energy. Not to mention the fact that his cholesterol is perfect. The ignorant statements that are made by some people make me want to beat my head againist the wall.
  • SugarBaby1987
    I've been toying with they idea of doing Atkins since I joined MFP @3 weeks ago. It worked for me several years ago and this past winter I was on it for about a month and lost 10-15 lbs but didn't keep it up. I was under a lot of stress at work and couldn't stay away from bread and pastries! Now I don't have that job anymore and since I have been paying attention to my calories and avoiding sugar, sweets, pastries and most processed foods I think I am ready to take the next step to Atkins. I have to weigh in tomorrow and if I don't see what I hope to see (as I think I won't) then I am starting my day off with steak and eggs for breakfast! Everyone's posts on this thread have been so inspiring! :)

Good for you! We are always here to help & be supportive. You can add me as a friend if ya want to. Whatever the scale says tomorrow don't get discouraged. It's only temporary, and you have the power to change it. :)
  • SugarBaby1987

My husband likes to take 4 ounces of cream cheese, and then put a packet of Splenda on it. It tastes so close to cheesecake & it's so good. You can also find a lot of GREAT Atkins recipes at www.genaw.com. She has everything from main meals, to desserts.
  • Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a sweet snack? I'm in the induction phase and get a craving for something sweet every once in awhile. The most that I've tried is an Atkins Advantage bar or a diet soda. There must be something else??
    This was in one of the newer atkins books: whip 2 tbs heavy cream with 1 tbs. Baking cocoa and 1 packet splenda. OMG the best 'chocolate mousse' around!
  • cobylea
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm sure I'll be trying them all lol. When I get a sweet tooth it drives me nuts! Im going to have to try something so i dont cave in and have that chocolate bar. I feel so much better eating this way and the daily bloating has subsided. I'll definitely have to check out that website.
  • SueInAz
    I have found some great sugar free chocolate and other treats out there. They are made with sugar alcohols (sorbitol, etc.) which don't impact your blood sugar, so you don't count them as carbs. Russel Stover's makes some good ones but you can also find sugar free Lifesavers, jelly beans, etc. I am not a big chocolate eater, but I love fruity sweets! You can't eat too much of them because of the sugar alcohols (which makes you have to run to the bathroom if overeaten!) but they are great as a way to kill a sweet craving.

I also like sugar free Jello topped with some Reddi-Whip or other regular whipped cream.
  • dittiepe
    1/2C part skim ricotta cheese, 1 packet of splenda(or truvia), 1/2 tsp of vanilla. Mix it up, put a little whipped cream on top. Yummy Ricotta Creme for 3 net carbs.
  • dittiepe

My husband likes to take 4 ounces of cream cheese, and then put a packet of Splenda on it. It tastes so close to cheesecake & it's so good. You can also find a lot of GREAT Atkins recipes at www.genaw.com. She has everything from main meals, to desserts.

Oh! I have a low carb cheesecake recipe that is absolutely wonderful. Here it is:

Crust:
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped pecans
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped almonds
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup almond flour
    2 Tablespoons melted butter

Filling:
    3 8oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup Splenda
    2-3 eggs at room temperature
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    8oz sour cream

Taste the mixture before you pour it into the pan to cook. You may need to make some of your own adjustments, most likely a little more splenda. but for me this is pretty sweet as it is.

Mix all nuts and almond meal with melted butter and press into a springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, set aside to mix filling.

beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low. Add the sugar substitute a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add vanilla and lemon juice, Add the sour cream last until just blended in.

Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan.
    Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    When time is up, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door and leave in oven for another hour. Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake also. Let cool to just about room temperature for another hour. Refrigerate.

1 slice is 4 net carbs.
    If you make with crust it is 319 calories. Without crust is 231.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    I'm low carb but am considering Atkins...I'd love to have some friends on here who're roughly my height (5' 1") and who'd be willing to let me see their diaries so I can get ideas of what I can/should eat, in what quantities, etc...? The only thing really holding me back is my love of dairy (I have skimmed milk in coffee, maybe 3-4 a day) and yohurts, though they're usually 0% Greek.