Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Will you log foods on Thanksgiving or no?

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Nope. I’m cooking, so I know what the calorie bombs are. I’m going to try and be strategic, but...meh. I’m going to the gym Wednesday, will try and get a run in Thursday morning, and try to workout Friday. So it shouldn’t derail maintenance by that much.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    I will be mindful of my portion sizes, but I am not bring a scale to dinner...
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I will log. Since I'm not cooking it, at best it will be a rough estimate. But at least I will have a record of the things I ate, if not the exact quantity or macros.
  • Zeuggma
    Zeuggma Posts: 157 Member
    For holidays and treat days--I leave it to intuitive eating. If you've been losing or maintaining weight for a while, you know how much and what you should be eating from day to day anyways.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    No Thanksgiving Day where I am, but what's the difference? I always log ALL meals.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    i'll maybe attempt some semblance of logging but i won't be relying on its accuracy. i'll likely do a long run in the morning and then drink a lot of wine and fill up on appetizers as per usual.

I'm so jealous, I wish I could get a run in :( but the weather tells me otherwise and I have to get the house ready for guests.

I lost my mind and signed up for a turkey trot :o First ever organized 5K. It's supposed to rain. I expect I will be useless starting directly after dinner.

We are ALL useless after dinner on Thanksgiving! Which is why I'm thankful for the additional NFL game to watch.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    I do because I always log, every day, every single thing. It's more for routine and honestly, I look and am like, wow, I really outdid myself today! And then, that's it.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    heck no.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Ill log but it will all be general entries from the data base, and I don't plan on going crazy.

Ill enjoy the day and eat what I want and will probably be over

This is how I'll be, I try not to stuff myself, but food happens, and I've been logging for 27 days and want to keep my roll going
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I'll log, but I'll guesstimate and irregardless the numbers won't bug me either way. That's why I log food and weight every day. Psychologically, it makes it easy to treat one negative data point as not that big a deal.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Yep. Just another day to me.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Why would you NOT track ... you do it every day, after all. So what if it ends up being over calories (or macros) ... it's just one day that adds to the total.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2017
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Why would you NOT track ... you do it every day, after all. So what if it ends up being over calories (or macros) ... it's just one day that adds to the total.

Some may not be able to estimate what they’re eating. Some may not want to see the damage done. Some may want to focus on spending their time with loved ones instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't always track, I mostly don't at maintenance, although I am now tracking most of the time (at Cron). Right now I'm more interested in some nutrient things I know I will hit on Thanksgiving, also.

I don't care about being over calories, that has nothing to do with it, but I don't feel like it's that important for me to track every day so long as I have awareness of what I am eating, and it's not possible to track accurately on Thanksgiving (dishes I did not make, don't want to weigh and create recipes for things I did weigh, I will eat family style, which I ordinarily do not -- that means dish up on the table or nearby vs. have a prepared plate with no seconds). Thus, logging seems like a lot of tedious work in trying to guess things that won't be accurate anyway. Same reason I now estimate 1000 cal or some such rather than try to reconstruct restaurant meals.

I could as easily ask why would you track, it's just one day, but I understand we all have different approaches and some really get something out of never missing a day, so would not ask that.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member

Because some of us are in maintenance and don't need to be strict with the calories, AND can control portions and choices.
    Because some people will not be cooking on Thanksgiving Day or they will be eating at a restaurant and estimation and calories counting would be difficult and too time consuming.
    And the list goes on and on.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Imma show up at my parents house with my travel food scale. But I plan on only eating one meal that day, so I just need to stay under 1700. Calories won’t be hard, macros will.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited November 2017

I can't answer this question for everyone, but here's my reason for not logging that day.

I really don't feel like measuring out the recipes of everything I'm making that day and putting them in the recipe builder and then using the food scale and measuring my portions.

Nor do I feel like entering a WAG because it's just one day, though I suppose I could do this just to say I logged, but this seems silly to me, and I'm terrible at this sort of thing so it seems like a pointless exercise to me.

It's not that I care if I'm over (I wouldn't), it's just that I couldn't be bothered.

This about sums it up for me, except I pre-log 3500 calories for the day, to remind myself later that this is the number of calories I would have to eat over maintenance to put on a single pound.

eta spelling