Complete waste of calories

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Desserts in most restaurants. So frustrating. You decide to splurge and it's completely not worth the calories. Seriously, how can you make cakes, puddings, and pies, that taste like artificial supermarket stuff? It's not like it's hard to mix eggs, flours, and sugar...

The last example is that pretzel croissant sandwich from Dunkin Donuts. Was really looking forward to it, tossed it after a couple bites because all I could taste was salt. Yuck.

And that croissant I got from a cafe that tasted like supermarket croissants too (I'm used to the good buttery stuff). Such a waste (like most croissants in croissant sandwiches, to be fair).

I've felt the same for things I DID enjoy but really didn't fill me up though, like fish sandwhiches from fast food places. It's like eating air for 450 calories.

You need to go to better restaurants. I pick restaurants based highly on their dessert menu... And I look around at what other people are receiving to judge what looks good!

Unfortunately there aren't many convenient options that have great desserts around here.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    IMO, a waste of calories would be eating/drinking something you DIDN'T enjoy. While of course there are foods that hold little to no nutritional value, TASTE and ENJOYMENT do matter in my life too.

That is exactly my point :)
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    If I end up buying something and not liking it, 99% of the time I finish it, then not buy it in the future ... I hate to waste food. That 1% I do throw out has to be completely inedible or toxic, not just a non preferential experience.

Same.

If it's something that other people might like I'll take it in the break room or pawn it off on the nieces & nephews.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    I'm going to assume other people have experienced this but the feeling when you make yourself something - or grab something to go - and you're eating it and it just does not fufill the expectations of the meal? I find that moment to be almost infuriating. I have literally thrown away food after two or three bites because it is ... well. gross... which is not something I would have done six months ago. Pizza for instance - pizza is my achilles heel. Before my overhaul, I would not have walked away from a slice of pizza, regardless of how not awesome it was. Now? No question. Is this gross? Then I'm not eating it.

I was talking about this feeling recently with a friend, how something so disappointing was a complete waste of calories because I only get so many a day, so I'm not going to waste them on something that doesn't cut it. It's pretty much a budget.

Which goes in line with the other part of my mental overhaul on food: food is 10% entertainment (holidays, parties, going out with friends) and 90% energy source.

Anyway. Today it was the salad. Some kind of chipolte ranch dressing, cheese, and the whole thing tasted like plastic. four bites in and tossed in favor of pinapple. I love salad. I was trying this new brand of prepped salad because I didn't have a chance to make my meals today. Never again.

What have you felt like was a waste of calories?

Pizza for me. I always crave it and then when I have it as a treat meal it just doesn't satisfy. I don't know why I keep craving it
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    This is one of the reasons that I am a very picky and unadventurous eater. I stick to what I know and usually don't stray far from what I've already had before. I'm willing to take a bite of someone else's plate if it's something new and it looks good. Luckily, my boyfriend is a really big foodie and is always happy to share.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Yes I do this all the time! If it’s not worth it then I don’t waste the calories. Nuts and potatoes are a couple that come TJ mind. I like them but they are not worth the calories to me. I’d rather save it for some CHOCOLATE!
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Yes I do this all the time! If it’s not worth it then I don’t waste the calories. Nuts and potatoes are a couple that come TJ mind. I like them but they are not worth the calories to me. I’d rather save it for some CHOCOLATE!

oh my god, i find i am soooo picky about chocolate now. I used to have a questionable love for reeses, and now i can't eat it, it literally tastes like plastic. Same with a lot of other kinds of chocolates and sweets. It's pretty much high end or nothing. Halloween this year was not hard to get through - I tried one mini-snickers and spat it back out.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    For me it would be beer, I do enjoy a glass of wine here or there but when everyone heckles me when we are out and drinking it can be hard for me to explain that I would rather be eating ice cream then drinking my calories.

I understand this because I get the reverse. People giving me the stink eye when I turn down dessert because I'd rather have more wine.

You are my people. Wine is my dessert! :lol:
  • GemstoneofHeart
    enyagoboom wrote: »

oh my god, i find i am soooo picky about chocolate now. I used to have a questionable love for reeses, and now i can't eat it, it literally tastes like plastic. Same with a lot of other kinds of chocolates and sweets. It's pretty much high end or nothing. Halloween this year was not hard to get through - I tried one mini-snickers and spat it back out.

Amen to that!! I got a weird Andes thing today and hated it. I dug in to my ferrero rochet instead.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited November 2017
    Often cheese. I like a little cheese to add flavor, but not a solid layer of it. If it’s not good quality, it hardly has any flavor anyways. I usually wind up trying to scrape it off.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Any prepackaged snack cake, like Little Debbies or whatever. They always look so tempting, but after a bite or two I can't get past the waxy feeling they leave in my mouth. Except for Sno-balls. Sno-balls are perfection.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Donuts. They leave the roof of my mouth feeling greasy, which cancels out any delicious taste.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Cake. I've yet to find one that I can actually say was worth every calorie. And sadly, I used to decorate them for extra income...

Pizza. I crave it, then I eat it and I'm like "why did I bother?". The cheese and grease ends up making me feel gross.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    most cakes/cupcakes aren't as good as they look!!!!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I'd say anything TASTY but that has a miserably sad portion size.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Funnily enough, I've always been that way. Not for the same reason (waste of calories), but if something is gross or I just don't like it I've never been able to make myself eat it. And there is so much food that I just don't like. I'm actually discovering that I'm much more of a picky eater than I previously realized. Anyway, so it's not the same thing, but I do get it.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I don't usually come across things so gross I can't even eat them, but when I do, I toss them. I hate wasting food and I do try to avoid it (buying only what I need at the grocery store, bringing baked goods to work instead of letting them go stale or eating them, etc.), but if I've already wasted the money, why let it take a chunk of my valuable calorie allotment too?

One example was a veggie hummus wrap from Togos. I was SO proud of myself for choosing that lower-cal option instead of the #16 Italian (710 cals) that I've chosen every single time since the age of...whenever I was old enough to chew. The wrap was soggy and the veggies were wet and mushy- so gross! I was angry at having to toss it, but toss it I did. Now I stick to my #16 Italian but I get the smaller one and usually only eat half. THAT is worth it. Another time was this expensive sushi at this swanky place in Vegas. The sushi was amazing except this one piece of albacore that was totally water-logged. I honestly almost gagged and haven't been able to eat albacore sushi ever since :'(

I do struggle when it's something someone else has cooked though. If someone serves a dish I cannot stand, I usually choke it down to be polite.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    About a month after I started counting calories I stopped eating meat, eggs, and most dairy products. I never liked those foods, I just thought that was what I was supposed to be eating. So I decided to stop forcing it, especially when I could be eating my calories in the form of foods I like. I have a hard time getting myself to eat a lot of things that used to be a part of my regular diet because they just aren't worth it anymore.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    Funnily enough, I've always been that way. Not for the same reason (waste of calories), but if something is gross or I just don't like it I've never been able to make myself eat it. And there is so much food that I just don't like. I'm actually discovering that I'm much more of a picky eater than I previously realized. Anyway, so it's not the same thing, but I do get it.

Me too!! I used to think I wasn’t picky at all, but I have realized from logging everything I’ve eaten the past year, that indeed I am very picky!