Lost confidence after being called out in front of class

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Call the manager of the gym and call her/him out! Find out the name of regional manager and contact them. Go on yelp and call out on there. Don't skirt and hide....fight back and regain your dignity while dream of punching the douche in the face!
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    If she isn't fired yet and has multiple complaints, you need to contact someone who will fire her, like owner or like disboohead said "regional manager." If she did it to you, she will do it to other people. And the person that you complained to doesn't seem to care or else he would have fired her. I would get fired if I said something like that at my gym.
    This is not right. I hope this doesn't deter you from going to the gym. If it happens again, have some sarcastic comments on your mind that you can say like, I maybe uncoordinated but at least I'm not rude or a *kitten* like you. I'm sure other people here have better sacastic comebacks for you. Good luck. I'm proud of you for going to the gym. Don't let anyone deter you from going to the gym.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Definitely warrants a complaint.
    Don't let this spoil your plans. That instructor is a nobody to you
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Tell him/her/them that you paid for the class and that you can do whatever you want.

As a student in university, I get a bit of this attitude from some instructors to. Sorry, but I'm the one handing over the money, therefore you give me what I want.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Did you pay to attend this class? Did you demand or were offered a refund? The manager was not great if he did not actually do anything. I would pursue writing a letter to whoever owns that place or leaving negative reviews.
    Sounds like you had positive experiences at your regular gym. Don't let one person keep you from doing something you like. No one starts something new and is perfect at it.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. I've been doing bodycombat for over a year and I'm still pretty bad at it: I'm missing moves here and there, and using my left arm when I should be using my right...and I've never felt anything other than completely welcome and valued as a class member.

I *think* that Les Milles, which offers the bodypump/bodycombat classes, is an entirely separate franchise from whatever gym you attended. You might complain to Les Milles as well; they surely don't want instructors abusing attendees in this manner. I did not exaggerate and this is absolutely abusive.

Good luck on your fitness goals. I hope you're not stalled in your progress by this.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    This is a real bummer. Instructor is a real tool. Hang in there and let it go.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I'm sorry this happened to you. You have proof from the manager that the problem is the instructor, NOT YOU. Don't let one person stop you from meeting your health and fitness goals. Unfortunately, we all meet people who demotivate us in one way or another, intentionally or accidentally. Don't give them the power to control your progress. Seek out others who will support you and listen to them. Post motivational quotes on your mirror or other place where you will see them daily. It's not always easy, but absolutely necessary.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Glad to hear she lost her job!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    alveenar wrote: »
    Thank you for the support everyone :) just to let you know ..... she got fired, I spoke to a regional manager and he took it very seriously.

I still feel shaken up but determined to go on and succeed no matter what.

You made a difference in the world! She had already done this to many people despite complaints and presumably warnings. You made sure this wouldn't happen again to some other person by having the courage to speak up and keep pursuing the matter.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    I'm sorry this happened to you. It must of been humiliating. It says more about her than it does about you.

Unfortunately we all face people like this which is why its important that we do what we do for ourselves and nobody else; at the time it can be hard to remember this. You showed great courage in tackling the issue and it's that courage which will ensure that you achieve your goals. Don't let bullies ruin your fun along the way
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Progress is not a straightforward process. There are setbacks and hurdles.
    This is one for you.
    Don't give up the progress you have been making.
    Get back to that class. You'll get a little bit thicker skin, and you'll be making progress not only in your fitness but in your psychology as well.
    We all know how you feel. But you must keep forging forward.
    Good luck!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    WHAT! These people are supposed to have people skills, not bully their students. Even if some time had passed, I would call up and demand a refund and report the instructor for inappropriate conduct. The instructor works for you; you're not there to keep up a series of steps for her. You're paying her to give you a good fun workout, not to shame you for inexperience. And especially not in front of the entire class.

I took a couple zumba/dance classes when I was overweight and I've never kept up with the steps, but I've also NEVER been called out. This is not normal instructor behavior.

So yeah definitely call the gym and tell them what happened, and keep doing your fitness thing. In the meantime work on processing your feelings, remember you were being awesome and they were being *kitten*, and that other instructors will surely be more professional and more encouraging. You have every right to come back and keep taking these classes.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    I'm sorry this happened to you. It must of been humiliating. It says more about her than it does about you.

Unfortunately we all face people like this which is why its important that we do what we do for ourselves and nobody else; at the time it can be hard to remember this. You showed great courage in tackling the issue and it's that courage which will ensure that you achieve your goals. Don't let bullies ruin your fun along the way

P.s. this! Classic bullying behavior.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    That instructor is a jerk and the people who laughed along are jerks as well. I would be horrified if I was attending a group class and the instructor spoke to me or another member in that way. Classes like those are meant to be for all levels and a go at your own pace type deal! I'm absolutely disgusted at the way the instructor spoke to you. I would write an email to the gym location complaining again so they have it in writing. This person should be fired. You have every right to be upset and are definitely not being overly sensitive. Know that the majority of instructors are not like that. They're supposed to be there to encourage you and help you succeed in their class! I would bring it up to your instructors at your normal gym as well- they may have some good feedback to help you build that confidence back up. You're obviously killing it in the class because you're seeing results so to heck with anyone who feels the need to say otherwise!
  • bluesmanhart6679
    bluesmanhart6679 Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2017
    the moment that you stop worrying about others belittling you, and do it JUST for you, you have won!
    The instructor was a total jerk, and should find different work if they are not there to encourage and lead the class.
  • Point me in the right direction Ill throw my dumbbell at their fricken face.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    alveenar wrote: »
    Thank you for the support everyone :) just to let you know ..... she got fired, I spoke to a regional manager and he took it very seriously.

I still feel shaken up but determined to go on and succeed no matter what.

:+1: