40 inch waist really that bad for a male?

1235»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Just a note that pant size <> waist size. I can get into 36W, but my waist is over 40". I've got a ways to go yet.

Yupper. With the possible exceptions of Santa Claus and Gomer Pyle, few men wear their pants up around the actual waist.

Guess I'm one of those guys. I have a measured 39 inch waist and wear either 40's or 42's depending on what I've got stuffed in my pants(I generally carry a pistol IWB)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    My sons 17 years old and size 40.. it does look like he needs to lose weight.. He isomer 6ft tall so not what I consider huge but yeah is too big. But I am lost as what to do for him.. The more I try to control him the more he sneaks junk.
    O
    You're in denial. A 17 year old with a size 40 waist is huge. Remember the pants size is generally the bigger than the waist size, so his actual waist is probably more like 42-44.

The OP actually did say in his first post that his waist is 42". I don't know what happened there unless he meant 40 is the suggested cutoff and he is "only" 2" larger than that or something?

But yeah, to everyone answering, to back and re-read...his waist is 42".
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Just a note that pant size <> waist size. I can get into 36W, but my waist is over 40". I've got a ways to go yet.

Yupper. With the possible exceptions of Santa Claus and Gomer Pyle, few men wear their pants up around the actual waist.

Guess I'm one of those guys. I have a measured 39 inch waist and wear either 40's or 42's depending on what I've got stuffed in my pants(I generally carry a pistol IWB)

We'll add you to the list then.

Total count so far: three, and two are imaginary creations.

BTW, Gomer Pyle stuffed, too.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    Can I just point out that the perspective of OP’s belly is quite distorted from the angle of the pic.

I absolutely agree this is not a healthy looking body, as per my previous posts, but keep in mind the degree of ‘gut’ and has been accentuated in this particular image.

True, but even his before picture from January when he "only" had a 37" waist he had a protruding gut. Not as flabby, but even that was an unhealthy belly in my untrained opinion.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    My sons 17 years old and size 40.. it does look like he needs to lose weight.. He isomer 6ft tall so not what I consider huge but yeah is too big. But I am lost as what to do for him.. The more I try to control him the more he sneaks junk.
    O
    You're in denial. A 17 year old with a size 40 waist is huge. Remember the pants size is generally the bigger than the waist size, so his actual waist is probably more like 42-44.

The OP actually did say in his first post that his waist is 42". I don't know what happened there unless he meant 40 is the suggested cutoff and he is "only" 2" larger than that or something?

Misread: nothing to see here!
  • Shorelivin42
    Shorelivin42 Posts: 22 Member
    O

Yes my waist is 42". The 40" that I mentioned in the subject line was in reference to an article I read saying that a waist size of over 40" creates risk of health issues.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited November 2017
    Can I just point out that the perspective of OP’s belly is quite distorted from the angle of the pic.

I absolutely agree this is not a healthy looking body, as per my previous posts, but keep in mind the degree of ‘gut’ and has been accentuated in this particular image.

True, but even his before picture from January when he "only" had a 37" waist he had a protruding gut. Not as flabby, but even that was an unhealthy belly in my untrained opinion.

You are right, but again consider the optical difference a change in posture makes.

Allow me to use myself as an example:
    drlq81qq49wh.jpeg
    li3nijv7yfcu.jpeg

• Shorelivin42
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...those hardish bellies that look like the guy is pregnant or just swallowed a basketball.

Whenever I see those bellies (and that's quite frequently, actually, and on younger and younger guys these days) I automatically think heart attack and low testosterone. It just flashes into my mind first thing. And not in a judgmental way. I feel concern, like, "I hope that guy's gonna be alright...looks like he's on the way out." (I've known several round-bellied guys with serious early-onset health complications, like diabetic-related sepsis at age 28, heart attack at 33, etc...) I know a person is not their body, but as a health-conscious person, it's an association I make unconsciously. I keep it to myself in RL, though. No need to hurt anyone's feelings. :/

I know you are trying to be helpful but honestly your posts on here have been a bit over dramatic. Listing off anecdotes of people you know who have almost died from X and you causally linking that to them having a gut is not actually accurate medical advice. What matters is the population averages and epidemiological studies that have been done associated with weight and they aren't nearly as dire as you are making them out to be. Having a gut as a young man doesn't mean you are "on your way out". Is it perfectly healthy? No. Would they benefit from losing weight? Yes. Are they about to die? No, come on. There is no need to blow it out of proportion. A person can be encouraged to take action without the need to fear-monger unnecessarily which can often be demotivating. I mean are you intending your posts to be encouraging? I'm guessing the guy has a doctor and when he goes into the doctor I'm guessing the doctor has eyeballs. If the guys condition was really as dire as you seem to be implying solely based on his gut do you not think some sort of intervention from his doctor would have occurred?

OP if you happen to still be reading don't read me the wrong way here, you definitely should endevour to lose some weight for your overall future health.

I've actually been to see my physician since I've put on the weight for other reasons. She noted that I had gained 15 lb. but the last time I had been there was over two years ago. She didn't suggest losing any weight or anything of that sort so I guess I thought nothing of it. I probably would have acted sooner had my doctor said it was becoming an issue.
  • Shorelivin42

You are right, but again consider the optical difference a change in posture makes.

It is probably the least flattering photo of me. I'm sitting and the angle is sort of underneath. The pants I'm wearing are definitely much too tight. I thought twice about posting but figured I shouldn't hide it if I'm looking for honesty. I don't look nearly as big standing up of course!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited November 2017
    ^^ those pics are about 30 seconds apart.

And no, not pregnant. Just been eating wheat and this bloating is part of what it does to me.
  • Shorelivin42
    ^^ those pics are about 30 seconds apart.

And no, not pregnant. Just been eating wheat and this bloating is part of what it does to me.

I bloat quite easily too! lol but you are clearly in good shape!