Snack Ideas????

Options
I'm 5'2 and about 170 lbs. I've been trying to lose weight for some time now. So I'll do really good with eating healthy, but I seem to get bored easily and fall back into eating unhealthy snacks. Hot cheetos are my weakness. I can never seem to just eat a little bit of them though. I tend to go through the whole bag. So I really want a lot of snack ideas that are actually good and satisfy my cravings for salty/spicy snacks.

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with chili powder and pepper. Add carrot sticks for crunch.

Rice cakes with a thin layer of hummus and sriracha sauce.

Air popped popcorn with rosemary salt.

A single serving size bag of your favorite Hot Cheetos if they exist in single servings (scratches the itch but since it's a single serve you can finish the bag without worries. Do not have more than one bag at home if you can't moderate them yet.)

• Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I’d try air popped popcorn with some of that cheddar seasoning and some chipotle powder.
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese with chili powder and pepper. Add carrot sticks for crunch.

Rice cakes with a thin layer of hummus and sriracha sauce.

Air popped popcorn with rosemary salt.

A single serving size bag of your favorite Hot Cheetos if they exist in single servings (scratches the itch but since it's a single serve you can finish the bag without worries. Do not have more than one bag at home if you can't moderate them yet.)

Rice cakes and hummus with Sriracha are awesome. I have also been on a big celery /carrot with hummus kick lately. I've found that veggies help me get through snacking better than anything else. I can eat a lot of them without the feeling of eating empty calories
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you get bored easily with "healthy" eating - you aren't eating healthily. If you feel virtuous, and call the food you like, "unhealthy", that is a dead giveaway! A healthy diet is appealing, tasty, balanced and varied, and thus, easy to stick to. Demonizing foods you like, will just make you crave them more. Having tempting foods around, deeming them off limit, trying to eat boring food, trying to lose weight? Not a sensible approach if your goal is improved health and lower weight.

Maybe you could look into structuring your eating differently, but then you need to think differently. To do that, you need more information, but not more of the same - new information. You don't need snacks, but you need enough food. Junk food is designed to be irresistible. Eating a whole bag is not difficult. Eating more in line with your values will make you feel more in charge, and when you feel in charge, you'll be better able to resist temptations. But willpower is a limited resource, so spend it wisely. Do not surround yourself with too tempting foods. Eat well, eat normal food most of the time, and have reasonable portions of anything you want, occasionally.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    dried/cured meats wrapped around some veggie sticks
    spicy nuts (just watch the serving size)
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have some items (like the hot cheetos for example) that I just cannot buy because I know I can't control myself and only eat a single serving. However I found that if I buy the item, portion the whole thing into baggies/containers and label each one with the calorie content on there it really helps a lot. You may still have times where you eat more than one of the portioned out baggies but at least it makes you more mindful of the amount of calories you're consuming if you have to keep opening baggies. As far as some healthier alternatives, what I did was I sat down and made a list of things that were about 100-150 calories for a serving. This way I feel that I have a lot of things to choose from when I want a snack.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn works great with spray oil and all sorts of flavor combos. Personally, I love Tajin on mine, (and on my fruit strips, eggs, corn on the cob...)
    Sargentos balanced blends, fruit dipped in yogurt, baked fruit and vegatable chips, 100 calorie packs of cookies and treats. Saltines with light sour cream smeared on top...
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    you'll laugh but sardines and crackers.....
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    curiousgp wrote: »
    you'll laugh but sardines and crackers.....

No laughing here - a classic pairing! They are even better with a touch of hot sauce.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Rye crispbreads or rice cakes, with hummus or Laughing Cow cheese.
    Individual bags of popcorn or pop chips, or goldfish.
    Half an apple and some cheese.
    Couple squares of dark chocolate.
    Cup of almond or cashew milk blitzed up with some ice and PB2 and sweetener, half a banana if you have the cals.