“Red light foods”

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Ice cream is my kryptonite, I can eat it all, and I want to eat it all. I am like a wild animal. So, much to my dismay, I only have ice cream when I go out to dinner. It is better that way.
    Other foods I can eat mindlessly, but not to as much excess as ice cream, are: chocolate, biscuits (cookies), cheese, the vegetarian gummy sweets from Marks and Spencers (omg so good), and most sugary things actually.
    I try not to have that stuff in the house because all it takes is a stressful day or a moment of anxiety and I have inhaled a million calories which makes me feel worse.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Potato chips.

If they are in my house, I will eat them until they are gone. If they are not in my house and I buy a small bag with only two servings, I will want another bag and think of nothing else. And even though I have enough calories to be able to fit 2 small bags of potato chips into a day, it would throw off everything else: nutrients, protein, important things.

The funny thing is I don't miss them. I'd rather have a small bag of curly fries if it comes down to it (and have done so a couple of times,) but fries don't set off the craving in the same way.

Yup, I'm another one with a chip weakness. I've gotten quite good at self-moderation if I do say so myself, but chips I will eat until I feel sick, so I mostly avoid them. The 2.5 serving size bags are probably my biggest downfall.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Peanut M & M's.

I want to see if I can buy a bag of them in fun size bags and moderate them, because that just might work.

I do currently buy them every now every now and then going through the check out in the grocery store in a single serving package, but I can't keep a family bag to share with my husband in the house.

This for me as well. I was given one of those huge bags of peanut M&Ms from Costco and I ate the entire bag in the same day. I couldn’t stop eating them. I don’t buy them at all anymore.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I'm learning self control. Pizza was hard. The first time I went to a pizza parlor I ate 3 large pieces and chicken and fries and beer for 3 times my calorie budget. Now I'm down to being able to eat one piece and some other lower calories foods with it and a single beer which is a rare treat. Wine was very hard as mine was a nightly habit. Had to quit completely at first, but now got that down to occasionally a drink or two. Still avoid potato chips as I probably would over indulge, although I made some tortilla chips myself yesterday with guacamole and only ate the 6 and was fine. Ice cream I do fine with. My favorite now is a Breyer's Carb Smart fudge bar. I find bars are easier to control amount than scoops. I eat after dinner nightly and am good with it. The nice part is they are high in fiber (6 grams) so for those counting carbs they are nice and for people like me that are just low on fiber they are better tasting and higher than fiber supplements for not many more calories (70). I used to eat a bag of licorice and now can get away with two or three pieces. I think really we all have the ability to control our cravings....it just takes work and desire.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Pasta, cookies, anything chocolate
    When you go to a mexican restaurant and they give you chips and salsa... i just cant stop.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    sdolan91 wrote: »
    Pasta, cookies, anything chocolate
    When you go to a mexican restaurant and they give you chips and salsa... i just cant stop.

Omg, and queso...
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    My wife and I decided to start grocery shopping together (partially because I'm a list-only shopper and she just flies by the seat of her pants) to help keep each other accountable for the type of foods we bring into our home and increase the likelihood that one of us will be an adult and say "Yes, I see they're on sale... put the oreos back".

Being diligent about making sure something is planned for dinner is the big piece of the puzzle for us. So long as we have something defrosted (we get a lot of frozen chicken breasts and parcel out pork chops into entree-sized portions to freeze) we are far far less likely to say "screw it, let's get pizza (or thai, chinese, chipotle, smashburger, etc.)".
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I'm learning self control. Pizza was hard. The first time I went to a pizza parlor I ate 3 large pieces and chicken and fries and beer for 3 times my calorie budget. Now I'm down to being able to eat one piece and some other lower calories foods with it and a single beer which is a rare treat. Wine was very hard as mine was a nightly habit. Had to quit completely at first, but now got that down to occasionally a drink or two. Still avoid potato chips as I probably would over indulge, although I made some tortilla chips myself yesterday with guacamole and only ate the 6 and was fine. Ice cream I do fine with. My favorite now is a Breyer's Carb Smart fudge bar. I find bars are easier to control amount than scoops. I eat after dinner nightly and am good with it. The nice part is they are high in fiber (6 grams) so for those counting carbs they are nice and for people like me that are just low on fiber they are better tasting and higher than fiber supplements for not many more calories (70). I used to eat a bag of licorice and now can get away with two or three pieces. I think really we all have the ability to control our cravings....it just takes work and desire.

I enjoy the Carbsmart ice cream, chocolate, and I buy those rinky dink little ice cream cups/cones that are lighter than air and are like 20 calories. A serving of the ice cream in the cone is totally reasonable and hits the spot so good.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Ice-cream and gummy candies. If I buy a pint I need to budget that entire pint into my calories because I may not be able to stop.
    I haven’t eaten a single gummy candy in the 6 months I’ve been back on MFP because I WILL eat the entire bag.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Pretzels, crackers, chips. I adore snacking! Now I just eat veggies and cheese and take a walk until the urge passes.
  • thegeans
    thegeans Posts: 42 Member
    Cheese. I tried to have in moderation, but I just can't have it in the house, I've learned.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Cheetos and nutella.....NO NO!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Sugary drinks. I usually didn't drink them, but the times I did they were gone in a flash.

I gave up all mammal meat a year ago, but even if I started eating it again I would stay away from pork ribs. Binge history.

I am back and forth about Chocolate Moose Tracks ice cream. I could eat it in moderation but I have some binge history with it also. Part of me wants to exorcise that demon and show that I have control but another part of me thinks that's a really bad idea.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Ice cream is my kryptonite, I can eat it all, and I want to eat it all. I am like a wild animal. So, much to my dismay, I only have ice cream when I go out to dinner. It is better that way.
    Other foods I can eat mindlessly, but not to as much excess as ice cream, are: chocolate, biscuits (cookies), cheese, the vegetarian gummy sweets from Marks and Spencers (omg so good), and most sugary things actually.
    I try not to have that stuff in the house because all it takes is a stressful day or a moment of anxiety and I have inhaled a million calories which makes me feel worse.

You can get vegetarian gummies? I am so jealous.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I totally forgot about my lust for crust. I was the guy who massacred the cobbler at the buffet to get more crust than fruit filling.