2»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Peas, lentils and beans come to mind...
  • luna3h
    luna3h Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2017
    Nuts and seeds! Nut butters. And protein powders for yummy, green smoothies, which can also include flax or chia seeds, nut butters, or spirulina if you don't mind the taste. Those are my favorite vegan/real-food/plant-based protein sources.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Greens, beans, and nuts. can of greens has ab the same protein and calories as a filet of tilapia.

I've seen this typed a couple of times lately. A tilapia filet (around 4oz) has around 20g protein. A regular 15 oz can of greens (turnip, collard) has around 6g protein, unless they have ham or bacon or meat broth or something. Spinach might have 10g.

They may have roughly, approximately the same number of calories per gram of protein, but you have to eat around 2 to 3 cans of greens to get the amount of protein in one tilapia filet. And the greens are an incomplete protein, whereas the tilapia has complete protein.

You can debate about which greens are in the can and how big a filet, but for any normal definition, one can of greens does not have equal protein to a tilapia filet.

P.S. I'm not a meat or fish apologist. I'm a vegetarian. But this is just incorrect info. Also, canned greens are overcooked and icky.

Lol.. so you just pair them w some beans. It’s not that hard. It’s more protein and a lot more fiber.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Greens, beans, and nuts. can of greens has ab the same protein and calories as a filet of tilapia.

I've seen this typed a couple of times lately. A tilapia filet (around 4oz) has around 20g protein. A regular 15 oz can of greens (turnip, collard) has around 6g protein, unless they have ham or bacon or meat broth or something. Spinach might have 10g.

They may have roughly, approximately the same number of calories per gram of protein, but you have to eat around 2 to 3 cans of greens to get the amount of protein in one tilapia filet. And the greens are an incomplete protein, whereas the tilapia has complete protein.

You can debate about which greens are in the can and how big a filet, but for any normal definition, one can of greens does not have equal protein to a tilapia filet.

P.S. I'm not a meat or fish apologist. I'm a vegetarian. But this is just incorrect info. Also, canned greens are overcooked and icky.

Lol.. so you just pair them w some beans. It’s not that hard. It’s more protein and a lot more fiber.

Yes, pairing it with beans would help someone get more protein but that doesn't make the original statement (a can of greens has the same protein and calories as a piece of tilapia) any more accurate.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Things like Seitan and Tofu can be a help, as well as Legumes and tree nuts (or nut butters).

For those with celiac disease who don't already know, seitan is pure gluten.
  • janejellyroll
    vingogly wrote: »
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Things like Seitan and Tofu can be a help, as well as Legumes and tree nuts (or nut butters).

For those with celiac disease who don't already know, seitan is pure gluten.

No indication that OP has Celiac though . . .
  • Sunnybrooke99

Yes, pairing it with beans would help someone get more protein but that doesn't make the original statement (a can of greens has the same protein and calories as a piece of tilapia) any more accurate.

It already roughly does have as much protein, depending on the type, and fewer calories, but it’s not a “complete” protein. It’s only an example, and I’d never suggest the a vegetarian soley eat greens as a protein source. I don’t get why ppl get so excited ab tearing apart a suggestion..
  • janejellyroll

It already roughly does have as much protein, depending on the type, and fewer calories, but it’s not a “complete” protein. It’s only an example, and I’d never suggest the a vegetarian soley eat greens as a protein source. I don’t get why ppl get so excited ab tearing apart a suggestion..

According to a post above, a can of greens has about 6 grams of protein and a filet of tilapia has about 20. I'm not familiar with canned greens because it's not a food that I eat (I prefer fresh), but what greens are you basing this claim on? Canned greens don't have as much protein as a piece of fish unless you're eating multiple cans or a very, very small piece of fish.

Are you sure you're looking at the right entries for both canned greens and fish?

I wouldn't consider 6 grams and 20 grams to be "roughly" the same amount of protein, so I think we might have a miscommunication here based either on the nutritional information you're referencing or a difference in how some words are being used.

• Sunnybrooke99

According to a post above, a can of greens has about 6 grams of protein and a filet of tilapia has about 20. I'm not familiar with canned greens because it's not a food that I eat (I prefer fresh), but what greens are you basing this claim on? Canned greens don't have as much protein as a piece of fish unless you're eating multiple cans or a very, very small piece of fish.

Are you sure you're looking at the right entries for both canned greens and fish?

I wouldn't consider 6 grams and 20 grams to be "roughly" the same amount of protein, so I think we might have a miscommunication here based either on the nutritional information you're referencing or a difference in how some words are being used.

Wow, yeah. I need to find a different source for logging tilapia. Whatever I’ve been using said a filet has 9!
  • janejellyroll

Wow, yeah. I need to find a different source for logging tilapia. Whatever I’ve been using said a filet has 9!

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I personally can't get enough protein without losing my sanity on a vegan diet, but that's because of my limited access to the highest vegan protein sources (I've given up on that and just eat whatever without trying for protein when I have to eat vegan, like now for the Nativity Fast). If you have access to things like fake meats, tofu, and tempeh, it shouldn't be hard. For vegetarian, it's much easier. Eggs and low fat dairy can be very high in protein without being too high in calories and you get to buy whey protein powder which is cheaper and more available.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Have you tried Quorn products?
    Their chick'n cutlets are amazing! Easy to chop and put in wraps, salads, etc. The Turk'y roast is yummy too. Ugly, but delicious.
    And the protein is derived from mushroom protein, so its not soy based.