Took 10.5 months to lose 22.2 lbs, just 39 days to lose another 15.8 lbs

lchadwick3
lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
edited November 2017 in Success Stories
I began this year at 227.2 lbs and worked steadily to lose weight. I joined Zwift and have been biking on a trainer and now running on a treadmill every day. If you don't know about Zwift ask me. I'd be happy to tell you about it.

I got down to 220 and hit a wall, busted through and got to 215 and hit a wall, busted through and so on ... I finally got to 205 on Oct 17th while running in the Bourbon Chase Ragnar run. But for all the working out I did I should have been losing more weight. On the way back from the run, I talked to a friend who is doing keto. He has a blog and we talked about what I was doing and just how close I was to reaching my goal but what was holding me back. So that next day I really started.

For breakfast, I've been having scrambled eggs (probably 4), 1 slice of cheese, 4 strips of bacon and 2 sausage links. I'll drink 16 oz of coffee with vanilla flavored unsweetened almond milk as creamer and have been adding a heaping spoon of coconut oil.

For lunch I usually have a cheeseburger, no bun and a salad. My favorite has been a handful of shredded lettuce, and handful of spinach, pico de galo, and ranch dressing (2 g sugar per serving). I have been drinking water and vitamin water zero (sweetened with erythritol).

At night I'm not that hungry but if I want something I have a spoonful of peanut butter and it usually tides me over. Really, I'm not hungry.

It took me 10.5 months to lose 22.2 lbs but just 39 days to lose the last 15.8 lbs. Today I weighed in at 189.2 lbs. I don't know when I've ever weighed this. Probably Navy boot camp 1991. I feel great and have plenty of energy. Enough that every morning I ride my bike on a trainer for 30 - 45 minutes and run 30 - 60 minutes before work. This works!!!

I started keeping a diary of meals on MFP and it helped to find meals that would meet the macros for keto which are 75% fats, 20% protein, 5% carbs. Thanks MFP.

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Zwift fan here! and well done!
  • lchadwick3
    Thanks. Do you do any of the ZSun rides? The ride leader, Monica Holmes is the best!!
  • pdawnfloyd
    pdawnfloyd Posts: 33 Member
    I've been researching this way of eating. I'm putting a plan together to start. Thanks for sharing and congratulations.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    lchadwick3 wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you do any of the ZSun rides? The ride leader, Monica Holmes is the best!!

I haven't - I'll check them out!
  • lchadwick3
    pdawnfloyd wrote: »
    I've been researching this way of eating. I'm putting a plan together to start. Thanks for sharing and congratulations.
    It worked for me just keeping it simple. No bread, pasta, sugars. The vitamin water zero drinks are really good. And using MFP can be time consuming but it really opened my eyes to what I was eating and what it would take to go ketogenic. Good luck.
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    Did you change your calorie intake?
  • lchadwick3
    brig220 wrote: »
    I don't think overall calorie intake changed, but the macros certainly did. And it turns out that all the calories are consumed at breakfast and lunch and not very much after that. I've not put in a food diary in a couple of weeks but feel free to see the last few. They are good representations of what I've been doing.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I don't think overall calorie intake changed, but the macros certainly did. And it turns out that all the calories are consumed at breakfast and lunch and not very much after that. I've not put in a food diary in a couple of weeks but feel free to see the last few. They are good representations of what I've been doing.

We're you tracking and logging before you started keto?
  • lhub2
    lhub2 Posts: 18 Member
    Good for you! Very happy for you. How does Keto work for someone who is doing very intense workouts like CrossFit? I lost 30 pounds last year doing low carb (not Keto, just low carb) and I’d burn out quickly when I’d try to work out. I’d like to lose another 20 pounds but don’t want to give up CrossFit and lifting. Is Keto any better when it comes to exercise?
  • lchadwick3

I did but it had been a while. What changed the most the last 40 days has been cutting out breads, pasta, and really cutting back sugar as much as possible. Even without getting to a true 5% carbs I've had great results. There are exceptions for those with diabetes or who have had a gall bladder removed but for the most part this works and I just want to help however I can so as many people can know as possible. I'm loving how I look and feel.
  • lchadwick3
    lhub2 wrote: »
    Good for you! Very happy for you. How does Keto work for someone who is doing very intense workouts like CrossFit? I lost 30 pounds last year doing low carb (not Keto, just low carb) and I’d burn out quickly when I’d try to work out. I’d like to lose another 20 pounds but don’t want to give up CrossFit and lifting. Is Keto any better when it comes to exercise?

I'm not doing crossfit but I'm working out very hard at least 1:30 or 2:00 every morning before work. After a few days of my body getting used to the drop in carbs and sugars I got all the energy back and then some. I'd say try to push through the lack of energy days and keep going. Getting enough fats will help with energy and reduce hunger. That was the key for me. Just cutting carbs wasn't the key. It was replacing it with enough good fats to compensate. That was the ticket over the last 40 days.
  • lchadwick3
    pdawnfloyd wrote: »

Thanks and you're welcome. I love talking about the progress and learning new things about Keto and how it can work for everyone.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    I'll drink 16 oz of coffee with ... and have been adding a heaping spoon of coconut oil.

This is not the first time I've heard this, but I have a legit question:

Is it true....that adding coconut oil to your coffee has significant improvements on bowel movements uhh.. the digestive system in general?
  • lchadwick3
    I'll drink 16 oz of coffee with ... and have been adding a heaping spoon of coconut oil.

Is it true....that adding coconut oil to your coffee has significant improvements on bowel movements uhh.. the digestive system in general?

You know? I hadn't really been paying attention but come to think of it, yes. It's been much easier. I was having some issues prior to the last 40 days. It could very well be the coconut oil. I've lost weight and changed other things so its hard to say that it's definitely that.
  • livingleanlivingclean

I haven't found any difference between coffee with or without coconut oil. Coffee does that for me regardless of what's in it.
  • livingleanlivingclean

I did but it had been a while. What changed the most the last 40 days has been cutting out breads, pasta, and really cutting back sugar as much as possible. Even without getting to a true 5% carbs I've had great results. There are exceptions for those with diabetes or who have had a gall bladder removed but for the most part this works and I just want to help however I can so as many people can know as possible. I'm loving how I look and feel.

Which likely meant you were naturally eating less calories. It's not really possible to compare two different WOE from a weight loss perspective if you haven't kept calories consistent
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    I've been Keto for 3 weeks and have lost 14 lbs. I love my morning coffee with coconut oil. An added benefit is it moisturizes the lips. I also usually have 24 oz of water with half a lemon squeezed into it.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Weight loss is just about keeping one's caloric intake lower than one's caloric intake. You've reduced your CI by going Keto.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    First awesome work and results. How tall are you? I am 5'10" and started this year at 227lbs. I have not been consistent until Oct. 1st and currently I weigh about 212lbs. I have been slowly losing the weight which is fine with me. My goal is between 170-180lbs and I have not weighed 180lbs since I got out of the Army in 1991.
  • RoseJaneNB
    RoseJaneNB Posts: 34 Member
    Great!!! Is it not a bit limiting? I’m not keto but I took out all “big” carbs like pasta, bread rice. I eat lots of veges and eggs. I doubt I’m keto because I eat a lot of tomatoes and onions which MFP tells me is high in sugars. But I would miss them too much. I’ve been slowly losing weight, lost around 13 pounds (not huge but it was not shifting any other way, I tried!!) and am the lightest I’ve been in maybe 9 years :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!