Best 3 lifts?

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    VERY NICE!
  • UncelDolan09
    UncelDolan09 Posts: 22 Member
    Not sure about 1RM, but in 5x5 I worked my way up to 180lbs Squat, 150lbs Deadlift (never did it before, so started at 65), and 160 bench, then caught the flu, didn't work out for a few weeks...worked my way back up to 195lbs squat, 160lbs deadlift, 170lbs bench - now broke some ribs and can't work out again. So frustrating. I weigh about 181 lbs currently (lost 7 lbs by just not eating like a maniac anymore since I hurt my ribs).
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    Age 48. Don't do 1RM's but here's my best lifts this year:
    Squat 300 lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps (also did 320 for 3 sets of 3 reps)
    Deadlift 340 lbs for 5 reps (also did 355 lbs for 3 reps).
    Bench 125lbs for 5 reps (1 count pause) - coming back from 2016 shoulder injury (not a weightlifting injury).

Goal is 1000 lb club... hopefully by age 50.

Dang! Nice work on the dead lifts and squats. I have been doing those two exercises for almost a year - with three extended "vacations" (due to horrible form | injuries). Now my form is really good - in part due to the "stupid" that I put myself through. But great progress. I hear from lots and lots of folks that "you should not lift heavy - you are too old!". Well, I disagree. And, apparently, so do you! I consider that "advice" just like "chicks should not lift heavy because they will get bulky"! Not allowed to write what I think of that! :smiley:

Do you do accessory work for squats? For dead lifts? I do adductors for squats (because when I am going heavy my knees do cave in a little bit....and my adductors are indeed the weak link in my body - funny story there....later time) and I do a few accessory work for dead lifts (hip thrusters - yep, a dude that does them - and good mornings and GHR).

Hey, thanks! I had a young guy beat my deadlifts today so needed a boost. Honestly, I know I should be deadlift more given my squat but can't seem to get better.

My squat routine is:
    Wed: Squat 5 rep sets heavy (3 to 5 sets)
    Fri: Squat with 2 count pause at bottom for 4 reps (3 to 5 sets)
    Sun: 3-0-3 tempo squat for 8 reps (3 to 5 sets)

This is detailed if you do an internet search for Barbbell Medicine the their free program "The Bridge". I'm a proponent of Starting Strength and the low bar squat and came across this from that avenue.

I'm enjoying these assistance exercises very much- feel they are building lots of "stability" in my knees and back. I had a back scare recently after squatting heavy so had to back off the weekly attempts at beating PR's... think this gets dangerous as an intermediate.... long story.

I do rack pulls mid shin, 7 reps for sets once per week in addition to deadlifting once per week.

My opinion on the biggest benefit of lifting heavy for older guys is- hormonal. You want to keep your T levels... what you gonna do... run?

Best wishes in your strength training.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    44 yo female. 100kg back squat and 100kg deadlift, now working on bench press.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    squat - 265 lbs.
    DL - 225 lbs.
    bench - 105 lbs.
    @ 110 BW
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    44 yo female. 100kg back squat and 100kg deadlift, now working on bench press.

Very nice. Lifting heavy is a good thing for women. I just don't understand the thought process about "chicks lifting heavy and looking like a dude". Just not gonna happen! Keep up with the awesome work!

What program - if any - are you doing?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    squat - 265 lbs.
    DL - 225 lbs.
    bench - 105 lbs.
    @ 110 BW

Very very very solid numbers, Peaceout! Very solid! What program are you following? How many times a week do you dead lift vs. squat?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Age 48. Don't do 1RM's but here's my best lifts this year:
    Squat 300 lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps (also did 320 for 3 sets of 3 reps)
    Deadlift 340 lbs for 5 reps (also did 355 lbs for 3 reps).
    Bench 125lbs for 5 reps (1 count pause) - coming back from 2016 shoulder injury (not a weightlifting injury).

Goal is 1000 lb club... hopefully by age 50.

Dang! Nice work on the dead lifts and squats. I have been doing those two exercises for almost a year - with three extended "vacations" (due to horrible form | injuries). Now my form is really good - in part due to the "stupid" that I put myself through. But great progress. I hear from lots and lots of folks that "you should not lift heavy - you are too old!". Well, I disagree. And, apparently, so do you! I consider that "advice" just like "chicks should not lift heavy because they will get bulky"! Not allowed to write what I think of that! :smiley:

Do you do accessory work for squats? For dead lifts? I do adductors for squats (because when I am going heavy my knees do cave in a little bit....and my adductors are indeed the weak link in my body - funny story there....later time) and I do a few accessory work for dead lifts (hip thrusters - yep, a dude that does them - and good mornings and GHR).

Hey, thanks! I had a young guy beat my deadlifts today so needed a boost. Honestly, I know I should be deadlift more given my squat but can't seem to get better.

My squat routine is:
    Wed: Squat 5 rep sets heavy (3 to 5 sets)
    Fri: Squat with 2 count pause at bottom for 4 reps (3 to 5 sets)
    Sun: 3-0-3 tempo squat for 8 reps (3 to 5 sets)

This is detailed if you do an internet search for Barbbell Medicine the their free program "The Bridge". I'm a proponent of Starting Strength and the low bar squat and came across this from that avenue.

I'm enjoying these assistance exercises very much- feel they are building lots of "stability" in my knees and back. I had a back scare recently after squatting heavy so had to back off the weekly attempts at beating PR's... think this gets dangerous as an intermediate.... long story.

I do rack pulls mid shin, 7 reps for sets once per week in addition to deadlifting once per week.

My opinion on the biggest benefit of lifting heavy for older guys is- hormonal. You want to keep your T levels... what you gonna do... run?

Best wishes in your strength training.

Ha! Exactly! Now, the funny thing is about five years ago I was running 13 miles (at a pretty good pace - did it in 75 minutes, which was about 10 minutes slower than the 25yo dudes....so, not bad) and - is this TMI Tuesday? No, it's not? Okay - let's just say that there was no issue! LOL! Well, I was also in the gym and could bench a truck (and the kitchen sink). I was a little bit of a hybrid there.

I am working back to strength. I - as everyone in the entire World knows now - was out for three months. It is funny what happens in three months! But, getting back in the saddle. Funny....saddle is still made of leather and still chaps my, er, um, how do I say this?, bum! So, that has not changed. My strength will come back. I am betting that it comes back before the competition! Now, that would be good timing!

Thanks, man! I am gonna check out "The Bridge". I have heard a little bit about it. Gonna follow my three programs (just for the experience) and will then look for a program tailored to meet my needs (which, hopefully, will be power lifting).
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    NEVER let the young guys beat you! EVER! It happens, though. Where is your sticking point in the Dead Lift? Check out a dude from Maryland named Brian Alsruhe. He is a Strong Man but has an amazing youtube channel. Dude is just killing it in life....good dude, good human being. Anyway, he has a three-part "How to" series for Bench Press, Dead Lift and Squats. Very useful info. He goes over form and then he goes over "issue is <here>? this is what you do to improve there" for each of the sticking points in each of the three skills. Good stuff....
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    edited November 2017
    Haven't maxed out in forever, and I'm currently in week 7 of 5/3/1, but my last maxes were:
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 455
    Dead: 500
    Bodyweight: ~230lbs
    I'm very confident that my current numbers are above that. Just last week I was able to get 310x3 on bench, 435x5 squat, and 480x6 on deads
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Knees shot so all I have left is bench.
    Age 51 6'3 155 lbs
    Flat bench - 410 lbs
    Incline bench - 360 lbs
    Flat bench reps 315X12, 225X35
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Age 51 6'3 155 lbs
    Flat bench - 410 lbs
    Incline bench - 360 lbs

That's some serious upper body strength dude! Nice job.
    I'm the same age and fighting hard to break 250 for a single flat bench. My shoulders get angry with biceps tendonitis if I press more than once a week so breaking the plateau is a real struggle.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Woohoo! Raw bench PR is 265 effective today with lots of witnesses.
  • Shaylaurkoski
    Shaylaurkoski Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2017
    Finally not eating at a deficit after losing 50 lbs in the last year. Never tested 1rm but here's where I'm at after just 2 months

Squat 135 3 sets of 5 reps (I feel like this should be higher)
    Deadlift 225 for 3 reps
    Bench 95 for 3 reps is the best I've done

32 yo female 130 lbs
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Finally not eating at a deficit after losing 50 lbs in the last year. Never tested 1rm but here's where I'm at after just 2 months

Deadlift 225 for 3 reps

32 yo female 130 lbs

Very nice! The squats will come. Oh, my, they will come. Are you following a program?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Woohoo! Raw bench PR is 265 effective today with lots of witnesses.

Awesome, dude! 265 is a lot more than what people think.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Age 51 6'3 155 lbs
    Flat bench - 410 lbs
    Incline bench - 360 lbs

You're 155lbs and benching 410?! Holy crap!!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Age 51 6'3 155 lbs
    Flat bench - 410 lbs
    Incline bench - 360 lbs

You're 155lbs and benching 410?! Holy crap!!

Typo I assume, seeing his profile pic. 155 @ 6’3 would be a stick unless the “knees shot” means missing legs. ;)
  • Shaylaurkoski
    Shaylaurkoski Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2017

Deadlift 225 for 3 reps

32 yo female 130 lbs

Very nice! The squats will come. Oh, my, they will come. Are you following a program?

Currently doing strong curves gluteal goddess program. Increased squat again today to 145 for 5 reps. Also benched 95 lbs for 5 reps today! I was stoked about that! Tomorrow will be deadlift!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited November 2017

Deadlift 225 for 3 reps

32 yo female 130 lbs

Currently doing strong curves gluteal goddess program. Increased squat again today to 145 for 5 reps. Also benched 95 lbs for 5 reps today! I was stoked about that! Tomorrow will be deadlift!

Very cool, girl! Anything from Bret and Kellie will kick "*kitten*"! Ha! Ha! See how I did that? LOL! And great job on the squat increase. That will go up, too. Now, the bench is what impresses me most. Chicks just never do chest. And, I sorta get that, but don't entirely. So, continue with the chest work. Your boobs will not go away! Do you also do dumbbell bench? That will give you a really good stretch. Anyway, ENJOY!