iifym

I searched the internet for a TDEE calculator and found one but am now being 'encouraged.... a lot' to buy a program IIFYM. The program promised to work for everyone and is on sale for $97 to give me my macros.
Advice from others who have tried this way would be most welcome. I know it's only $97 but don't want to spend money if I don't need to.
My macros are currently set at
Calories 1500
Carbohydrates 113g 30 %
Fat 50 g 30 %
Protein 150 g 40 %
I am female 53yrs 155cm I walk 10,000 steps each day but sit for work.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    I don't know what IIFYM, but given that you've signed up here you've already got a really valuable tool that you didn't have to pay for. I'd say save your money and log your food in MFP.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Haved you actually looked at what the free MFP offers both on web and app? I'm not sure why you would need or want something else. MFP will calculate your calories based on BMR and NEAT and then gives you a running total of all your macros, which you can personalize, along with your daily calories. It has a large database of foods to choose from including barcoding with the app. You can add on your steps as well although I haven't done that. Check it out before you spend your money. There is a a lot of support here and most people find it an extremely effective way to lose weight and stay healthy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    IIFYM is simply eating whatever you like that fits in those macros. Honestly, the macros Myfitnesspal suggests are standard US recommended macros and they work fine. Why did you decide you needed 40% (150g) of protein? You don't mention how much you weigh(?) or what your goal is.

MFP uses 50% Carbs, 30% Fat, 20% Protein.
  • MDAJACMAC
    MDAJACMAC Posts: 11 Member
    I weigh 81kg. I listen to The Half Size Me podcast and I think those macros were suggested there (maybe).
    I am trying to find my maintenance calories at the moment so I can take a 15-20% deficit to lose.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    MDAJACMAC wrote: »
    I weigh 81kg. I listen to The Half Size Me podcast and I think those macros were suggested there (maybe).
    I am trying to find my maintenance calories at the moment so I can take a 15-20% deficit to lose.

Why not just use mfp to get your deficit?
  • MDAJACMAC
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    Haved you actually looked at what the free MFP offers both on web and app? I'm not sure why you would need or want something else. MFP will calculate your calories based on BMR and NEAT and then gives you a running total of all your macros, which you can personalize, along with your daily calories. It has a large database of foods to choose from including barcoding with the app. You can add on your steps as well although I haven't done that. Check it out before you spend your money. There is a a lot of support here and most people find it an extremely effective way to lose weight and stay healthy.

Yes I have looked at what is offered but you know I am being marketed to!
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    I honestly don't think it's worth the money. I used the same calculator and get aggressive emails now almost daily. It kind of feels like the guy is bullying me. Your macros should be fine as they are, just adjust them yourself as you see fit
  • MDAJACMAC
    Thanks I totally agree his emails are getting pretty annoying. Might be time to block him.
  • MDAJACMAC
    Just unsubscribed! Now back to small sustainable changes.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    You don’t have to buy a IIFYM program in order to do IIFYM.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What are you supposed to get for those 97 dollars? Still curious - happy to hear you've decided against it; just want to throw this at you so that you can feel certain that you're doing the right thing now:

Nobody gives you your macros, that's absurd. Your diet is just what you eat, and you have needs and preferences. Because you're a human, and operate according to the laws of physics, there are certain ranges to stay within (your needs), and because you're an individual, you have to figure out the finer details (your preferences) yourself. The real job is to stick to whatever you've decided (if it's something far off from your preferences, it's going to be a difficult job; if it's a way you like to eat, it's going to be a breeze), and you're the one who decides to stick to it or not.

MFP is great in that it just tells you how much you have to eat to lose (or maintain, or gain) weight, and lets you decide what, how and when to eat.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited November 2017
    MDAJACMAC wrote: »
    I searched the internet for a TDEE calculator and found one but am now being 'encouraged.... a lot' to buy a program IIFYM. The program promised to work for everyone and is on sale for $97 to give me my macros.
    Advice from others who have tried this way would be most welcome. I know it's only $97 but don't want to spend money if I don't need to.
    My macros are currently set at
    Calories 1500
    Carbohydrates 113g 30 %
    Fat 50 g 30 %
    Protein 150 g 40 %
    I am female 53yrs 155cm I walk 10,000 steps each day but sit for work.

As soon as you're told that something works for everyone, you're justified in giving it the side-eye. We humans have thousands of individual complications -- height, age, medical conditions, eating preferences and physical abilities, among others -- that change what kind of diet and macro split works best for each of us.

And "on sale" for $97, when MFP is free and you get to tweak things as you learn what works best for you? Nope, you don't need to spend that money.

Welcome to MFP, and I wish you lots of success!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    IIFYM .com can be pretty aggressive once they have your email address. I had to unsubscribe. I thought some of his articles were interesting but not worth the daily emails. I honestly don't know what value their "program" has, but you could get some great workout gear or gym membership or meal prep containers for that money.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, and macro distribution can help you feel full or help with some fitness goals. You can get all that for free :drinker: