I eat carbs and am still loosing weight

Hi
I basically have been eat (vegetarian) like I usually do and I just cut calories. That’s working for me. I’ve lost 25 pounds in 6 months. I don’t deprive myself of much. Let’s get this straight... I don’t eat candy or junk food but do eat carbs! If I want a treat I have been having a bowl of Cheerios peanut butter and chocolate with rice milk for my bedtime snack. That’s been working for me. I’m sure if I cut carbs and more fats in be loosing more but I lost a pound the day after thanksgiving!! Just wanted to share that it is possible to loose weight and eat carbs. Thanks for listening

Replies

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Thanks for sharing your story, @Halloweenmom31. Similar situation for me - I lost 40 lbs in 2016 without giving a hoot about macros. Macros only really started playing a role in my lifestyle / eating habits once I started Maintenance because then my mind shifted to recomp and I needed the protein to support lifting heavy things and building that muscle!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Most definitely! I hit my protein and fat goals every week and eat as little or as much carbs as I need/want. In my case, my carbs come from everything from vegetables to candy. I'm maintaining, but I've eaten this way since I started losing weight, and I've never had any issues. It's sad that low carb fads/misinformation have convinced many that eating carbs will stop weight loss. Indeed, some people might find it easier to stick to their deficit with much less non-vegetable and non-fruit carbs, but in the long term (i.e not after a week or a month), weight loss should continue normally.
  • Halloweenmom31
    Halloweenmom31 Posts: 56 Member
    Thank you for all the support!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Good job!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Absolutely! I love carbs. I did experiment with less carbs and more fat when I was in a deficit for a little while. The fat did help me feel fuller longer. But I never gave up carbs and now I eat plenty of them that I'm in maintenance.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Absolutely, so did I.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Yes, of course.
    Why would you think otherwise?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    YESSSSSS!!!!!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical issue, lack discipline and/or just simply enjoy a high fat no carb diet, there is absolutely no reason why you should get rid of carbs. That is a *kitten* myth perpetrated by snake oil salesmen who promote their low carb diets and come up with nonsense like carbs make you fat. What makes you fat is eating over your maintenance calories, that's it unless like I said earlier that you have a medical issue which only a doctor can tell you. I lost around 30 lbs earlier this year despite eating over 200 g of carbs and doing no cardio whatsoever.

Cosigned!
  • JonnyKowalczyk
    JonnyKowalczyk Posts: 9 Member
    Hi
    I basically have been eat (vegetarian) like I usually do and I just cut calories. That’s working for me. I’ve lost 25 pounds in 6 months. I don’t deprive myself of much. Let’s get this straight... I don’t eat candy or junk food but do eat carbs! If I want a treat I have been having a bowl of Cheerios peanut butter and chocolate with rice milk for my bedtime snack. That’s been working for me. I’m sure if I cut carbs and more fats in be loosing more but I lost a pound the day after thanksgiving!! Just wanted to share that it is possible to loose weight and eat carbs. Thanks for listening

What you eat has absolutely nothing to do with how much weight you lose, you could eat 1200 calories of nothing but pigs lard and you would lose a hell of a lot of weight, you are either in a calorific deficit or a surplus, anybody telling you any different is full of crap. x
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    People who tend to benefit by reducing carbs are those with an underlying health issue or few. For someone who's body is working exactly as it should there will be no need to reduce carbs.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    CICO Correct?
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Interesting discussion, thanks everyone!