50kg loss (115 to 65kg) in 1 year my story, a quick summary

Styggian
Styggian Posts: 465 Member
On the 25th November 2016, my NHS Doctor's surgery carried out a 'Health Check'

Using the politest and most professional language they gave me the results which when translated; “you're fat and if you don't stop shoving food in your mouth you're going to heaven a lot sooner than you think!”

Then handed me two books along with some specific advice on dieting , from the information I gave them, the advice was to adjust my portion sizes.

The books were 'skim read' and I proceeded to diet.

Mid December I checked to see how much I had lost and unbelievably the scales said I had gained 3kg, this was a total shock to me.

Actually reading the books, I decided too much information was there to digest. So I 'parked' the exercise portion and focused on the dieting.

The information I further split into parts, then put each part into practice till it became a routine.

Eventually walking and cycling was added to diet regimen.

The loose skin I was expecting but the loss of physical upper body strength was a surprise, (was expecting to be stronger).

To get some upper body exercise have volunteered to help with some gardening, hoping that digging and carrying will help in developing my strength.

For the future am hoping to go to a wall climbing club and maybe yoga class, if anyone has any advice for developing upper body strength it would be appreciated.

BTW am 58 years old man and don't like weight training

Will post some photos later once I figure the technology.

Replies

• MyRoadto195
    MyRoadto195 Posts: 51 Member
    Way to go :)
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    Great job!
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Great stuff. Congrats
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Good for you!! Keep at it!
  • nwachim
    nwachim Posts: 111 Member
    Good Job!! By the way your second paragraph was so hilarious!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Awesome success, man! And, I really like how you focused on nutrition. Exercise is important, but if your nutrition is off then all of the exercise in the world will not really help. Success is made or lost in the kitchen.

It is amazing how much (mis)information there is out there. I started getting really serious about nutrition and training about two years ago and I am fairly intelligent and have been an athlete all my life (high school and college and then just super athletic | active all my life minus a five-year time frame). And, a medical doctor is - all things being equal - the absolute last place to go for nutritional advice (clearly, there are exceptions to that statement - like there are for just about everything).

So, kudos to you for focusing on nutrition first. And, then once you get that down (healthy first, then fit - right?) you can start adding some sort of exercise.

Nicely played, sir! Nicely played!!!!
  • Awesome work. I myself have lost 52 kg in this last year. Main focus had been on nutrition. I do actually strength train twice a week. Jog 5k 3 times a week and do Bikrem Yoga 3 times a week. If you wanna try yoga I love bikrem but it's not for the faint hearted lol.

If you hate weights try kettle bells. They're small versatile and mix strength and cardio together. Can be kept at home and when used correctly work all the muscle groups. I'm rather partial to them
  • Styggian
    Wow thanks everyone, have worked out how to take a selfie, you all look so good that my inner media manager has immerged and deemed my selfie not fit for public viewing.

In case my therapist is following this, the positive I take out of this experience I look taller in the photo and I feel really great about that ;-)

Will tweek with some lights am hoping to get some images up when I get home
  • Styggian
    Well this technology stuff is harder than I thought, am up early again so could not wait to sort out the perfect selfie.

@ LiftHeavyThings27105 I agree, though you put it so much more eloquently than I ever could, am still learning.

@ meljanehayes1980 Big GZ on losing your 52 Kg, am looking for a gentler style of yoga something like 'Fluffy Puppy Yoga' but the names am seeing at moment sound like extreme combat Yoga ;)

@ nwachim Thanks that paragraph took a few re-writes

and again ty everyone else for your positive messages.

Now for the before and after photo, I did wear the same gear but could not duplicate the lighting.

2nvtcn3gidxb.png

Tried to get good photo showing my loose skin, but my tech skills let me down.

cerxvx19v1cf.jpg

I was warned about loose skin so no surprise that I got some, don't intend to have surgery but will do some kind of strength training hoping for some better definition but am at an age where health is more important to me than looks.

I will declare that I am sucking my stomach in but the image has not been 'photoshoped', honestly :)

Going to get a full height 'before' image loaded along with a better quality image of my loose skin so it can be compared after a few months of strength training.

Meeting my Doctor next week specifically to talk about nutrition and the next phase of exercise, will pass on anything interesting.

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Wow. The before and after pics are amazing. Amazing job!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on you loss and improving your health. There are other ways to do strength training besides weightlifting. Not sure exactly what that means yo you. Try Resistance bands, body weight, and lots of dumbbell routines that might not be classic weightlifting. You do need to lift progressively heavier things to build muscle and there are lots of ways to do that, but you won’t make tons of progress with yoga and gardening. Those are good exercises for other goals.
  • Styggian
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    Wow. The before and after pics are amazing. Amazing job!

Thank you so much :)
  • Styggian
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on you loss and improving your health. There are other ways to do strength training besides weightlifting. Not sure exactly what that means yo you. Try Resistance bands, body weight, and lots of dumbbell routines that might not be classic weightlifting. You do need to lift progressively heavier things to build muscle and there are lots of ways to do that, but you won’t make tons of progress with yoga and gardening. Those are good exercises for other goals.

Thanks for so many suggestions, am hoping to build up my strength first, to give you some perspective at the moment I need both hands to carry the vacuum cleaner up stairs.

So I thought gardening would help with some upper body strength and Yoga get me flexible, my end goal is to join a wall climbing group.
  • Styggian
    Ok found some photos of me standing up so I can show a 'belly comparison', next goal is to tone up. I intend to take photos at regular intervals to see any Improvements.

Will start another post to document my strength training (am assuming this will 'tone' my muscles up :) )

lnvozp44yjsq.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!