Is it wrong to eat the Kangaroo - Our National Animal?

Had a brilliant Aussie Day.
Rode the motorbike to the beach, watched test cricket on TV and enjoyed Kangaroo fillets, asparagus and Australian Rose for lunch.
Kanga meat is super tasty, very low in fat, packed with nutrients, super high in protein and completely free range.
It's on our coat of arms.
Would you eat the National Animal?
Cheers

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I already do.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    It’s too gamey. Sits heavily in my belly and makes it ache. I feed it to my dog though.

Wonder if wallaby would be more tender?

Sounds like a nice Sunday. I went to Bunnings. That’s pretty Aussie in itself.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    lizery wrote: »
    It’s too gamey. Sits heavily in my belly and makes it ache. I feed it to my dog though.

Have you ever tried it in bolognese or chili? I find cooking it that way hides the taste a lot.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited November 2017
    I like it, but not as a steak. I eat it in chillis and bolognaise and as an entree, but I find it to gamey for a main meal. I hhave also eaten Emu, Crocodile and Witchety Grubs.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I'd try it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    I like it, but not as a steak. I eat it in chillis and bolognaise and as an entree, but I find it to gamey for a main meal. I hhave also eaten Emu, Crocodile and Witchety Grubs.

One of our supermarkets stocked Croc for a while... I liked it! I think there's a local butcher who sells it too, but it's not in a shopping centre I go to much.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    @livingleanlivingclean maybe I’ll try some ‘roo chilli. I don’t mind some of the ‘roo sausages on occasion.

I had crocodile years ago when I was deep in croc territory (The Daintree Rainforest). I wondered if I was tempting fate lol
  • NotEmphatic
    NotEmphatic Posts: 59 Member
    This food choice had me wondering...why don't we totally eat more kanga and croc?
    These animals are sustainable, not endangered and free, I think, of the nasties I suspect are in beef, pork, chicken and some fish.
    Should we promote this food as Aussie, clean and healthful?
  • NotEmphatic
    NotEmphatic Posts: 59 Member

Have you ever tried it in bolognese or chili? I find cooking it that way hides the taste a lot.

Hi,
    The trick to get tender kanga is a short cook. There is so little fat that the moisture disappears rapidly.
    I reckon I will add chilli.
    I also want to try it with bush tucker foods like quondong and lemon myrte (if I can find it).
    Kanga meat built this early country!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited November 2017

Hi,
    The trick to get tender kanga is a short cook. There is so little fat that the moisture disappears rapidly.
    I reckon I will add chilli.
    I also want to try it with bush tucker foods like quondong and lemon myrte (if I can find it).
    Kanga meat built this early country!

Slow cooking is good for me - I don't find quick cooking steaks makes it tender, just blue. By chili I mean chili con carne, not just adding spice to the steak!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    I had camel meat the other day. I wouldn't eat it again, but to be fair, I just dislike meat in general. It was too lean, but oddly a little bit more flavorful than beef, which I hate. Might have been the spices, which were good. I suspect I would have hated it if it weren't ground, spiced right, and cooked with lots of chopped tomatoes (a local dish eaten with bread like a dip).
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I don’t eat it - because I don’t like the flavour.
    If you enjoy the taste, I think it’s a good thing to eat, there is no shortage of them.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    100% would try. I want to try all the meats. Well, most meats.

tumblr_n1qtv1sai51r84zejo2_250.gif
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member

Aren't Grubs a bug??? What do they taste like? :o
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I wouldn't eat it, I don't eat Lamb either, just the smell of it makes me want to retch. There's enough meat choices out there without having to eat our national emblem, what's next.. Roasted Koala??
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    This food choice had me wondering...why don't we totally eat more kanga and croc?
    These animals are sustainable, not endangered and free, I think, of the nasties I suspect are in beef, pork, chicken and some fish.
    Should we promote this food as Aussie, clean and healthful?

We should. It's all the things you say as well as lean. It's also very cheap, but it hasn't overly caught on.
    dsboohead wrote: »

Not a lot, really! They're more of a texture than a taste.
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member

dsboohead wrote: »

Not a lot, really! They're more of a texture than a taste.

Slimy, yet satisfying?
  • I wouldn't eat it, I don't eat Lamb either, just the smell of it makes me want to retch. There's enough meat choices out there without having to eat our national emblem, what's next.. Roasted Koala??

Yeah but we keep having to cull kangaroos (at least in some areas) whereas koalas are, if not exactly endangered , under threat.
  • I've eaten it, yes. I don't feel particularly sentimental about it and I like that they're free range. I quite like the taste but I'm not a big meat eater in general.