Which foods make you feel full longer?

I eat a lot of junk food at night so I decided to have dinner a little late than usual and I need some suggestions. This may sound stupid but I really don't know which foods make me feel full other than boiled eggs and oatmeal because I never tried to eat healthy and feel full before. I am thinking about having 2 boiled eggs and oatmeal with milk for dinner. Would it be unhealthy if I eat the same things for dinner for a few weeks? Also any food suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I'd be miserable on 2 eggs and oatmeal for dinner - why aren't you aiming to get a variety of foods, or try different things to see what makes you full? I load up on veggies, along with protein and some fats. That helps me feel full.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    For dinner, I eat a lot of chicken and veggies ... often with rice, and perhaps a low cal soup for a sauce and flavour variety.
  • Kailuadude
    Kailuadude Posts: 7 Member
    Sweet potatos are great for filling you up without too many calories. Only 140 calories in a medium sweet potato. They taste great without butter or any toppings. Okinawan sweet potatos (purple inside) are also great. Bake them in the oven for best results, eat the skin too.
  • Experimenting to see what makes you full is a good idea because it's probably not going to be the same as what makes the next person full.
    Typically I eat some kind of meat (chicken or lamb, about 100g) and lots of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, peas, corn etc.) or a broth based soup for dinner. That's what I like to eat, it fits my calories and it's satiating to me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    Don't worry about what foods make you full.
    Just replacing some of the junk food with real food, will help a lot.
    Varying your food choices will help even more.
    Balancing your meals should make you comfortably full (not stuffed).
    You're supposed to become hungry again before the next meal.
    Eating what you like will make you happy.

What foods do you know about? What can you get? Go to the store. Look at food. What looks good? Buy and eat.
    There are no specific foods for satiety (or weight loss). As humans, we need sufficient nutrition; how much, depends on age, size, activity level, but each person has their own preferences for taste and meal times. Preferences can also change over time, with exposure and surroundings.

Yes, eating the same things for dinner every day, is unhealthy, unless of course dinner is the smallest meal and you have a wide variety for the other meals.
    It's not just going to be unhealthy, it's going to be boring. This can be both good and bad news - you will seek out more variety, so if you're prepared to find that in real food, you'll be eating better, but if you haven't prepared yourself, you'll go back to junk food, and eat some more just to make up for lost time.

Do you know how to compose meals to make them balanced, nutritious and delicious? If so, do that. It's not rocket science. If not, google "meals". Healthy meals just look "right" (to me) and they are often colorful, from fruit and vegetables, not from dye and packaging.

Eating in a new way can take time to get used to. Try new things in your own pace, don't force it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Kailuadude wrote: »
    Sweet potatos are great for filling you up without too many calories. Only 140 calories in a medium sweet potato. They taste great without butter or any toppings. Okinawan sweet potatos (purple inside) are also great. Bake them in the oven for best results, eat the skin too.

your idea of 'medium' and someone elses might be completely different...

163g of raw sweet potato is 140 calories... that's a pretty small amount.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Add a *kitten* ton of veg to whatever you eat and that'llfill you up. :smiley:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    It's different for everyone.

Fat and protein tend to fill me up nicely. A breakfast of bacon and eggs keeps me going much longer than carbs like pancakes or toast.

You'll have to do some experimenting. Keep a mental note of when you eat a particular meal and how quickly afterwards your hunger returns. You'll soon figure out what your body finds filling and what it doesn't.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    For me, personally, I end up very satiated for sometime on my usual dinner of Chicken breast, baby new potatoes with butter, a hard boiled duck egg and a good portion of vegetables. I find potatoes to be very filling for me personally, but rice, pasta, bread, not so much.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    For becoming satiated, proteins and fats will do it for me: meats, seafood, nuts, etc.

For getting a full and stretched stomach then veggies and starches will do it... a full stomach does not often satiate me though.
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Complex carbs and foods low on the glycemic index!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    For overall diet, I need a combo of protein and fiber. As far as individual foods, I find oatmeal with PB and berries, or potatoes with a little butter or oil (like roasted potatoes) next to a small portion of meat or fish are the two most filling things I can eat.
  • nelle6192
    nelle6192 Posts: 1 Member
    I have the problem of being hungry after dinner too. My solution was to make myself a sweet healthy snack instead having candy or ice cream or something. I make frozen yogurt granola cups. Simple a cup of granola with a tbsp of honey. In the bottom of 12 cupcake papers. Then i too them with a couple spoonfuls of yogurt and a piece of fruit. Then freeze them. Eating dairy before i go to sleep also keeps me from being as hungry for breakfast the following morning. If i dont want sweet i usually just have a small cup of cottage cheese.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Zeta000 wrote: »
    I eat a lot of junk food at night so I decided to have dinner a little late than usual and I need some suggestions. This may sound stupid but I really don't know which foods make me feel full other than boiled eggs and oatmeal because I never tried to eat healthy and feel full before. I am thinking about having 2 boiled eggs and oatmeal with milk for dinner. Would it be unhealthy if I eat the same things for dinner for a few weeks? Also any food suggestions are appreciated.

Nothing wrong with eggs and oatmeal for dinner if that's what you like. And no, nothing wrong with having the same foods for dinner for a few weeks if that's what you like.

I find fiber keeps me full longer. Protein tends to fill me up quickly. So I try to get both at every meal.