What’s the deal with Dairy

I’m new to this place, but I have a question I hope y’all can answer. Should I continue to eat dairy? If not, then what alternatives are the best? Thank y’all for your time!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Why wouldn't you?

I eat loads of Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, protein powder. I could go on.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Do you have a reason to not eat dairy?

I eat yoghurt, cheese, and drink milk nearly every single day. I don't think I could cut it out unless it was for a very good reason
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Do you have a reason to not eat dairy?

I eat yoghurt, cheese, and drink milk nearly every single day. I don't think I could cut it out unless it was for a very good reason

i would be VERY sad if i had to cut out dairy... cos cheese...
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    If you are lactose intolerant, cut it out, yes.

If not, there's no logical reason. Dairy is a good source of calcium and protein.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I love my dairy. Yoghurt, cheese and cottage cheese are a regular part of my diet and a great source of calcium and protein. I have however swapped milk for almond milk for no other reason than I prefer the taste.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Diary is fine for many humans, we've been eating it for years.
    Some people have an intolerance, so it's better for that specific group of people to avoid it.
    For the rest of us - don't overthink it, just enjoy it as part of a varied and healthy diet.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    If you don't have a real reason to cut it out (medical, ethical, doesn't fit your preferences) then don't. It's got all kinds of good stuff in it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Dairy has no weight gaining properties other than the calories it contains.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I love cheese! I do find that I need to limit my dairy; for some weird reason if I consume large amounts of it random, large, scary bruises begin to show up all over my body. I have never heard of this happening anyone else.

However, there is really no reason for anyone to completely eliminate dairy from their diet. Especially women.

Woof, I have never heard of that before - that stinks! But yeah, assuming you can fit it in your calories and don’t have an intolerance of some kind, dairy is great and has lots of good stuff for your body.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    In my coffee I choose unsweetened cashew milk because it’s only 25 cals, tastes good, and I drink several cups that are about half coffee and half cashew milk so I like the lower calories for these. I still have yogurt though, cheese, and occasional ice cream. There’s tons of dairy alternatives if you want to branch out but like everyone else said...apart from an allergy or intolerance you don’t NEED to cut out dairy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If you have medical (lactose intolerance) or ethical issues, cut it out.

If not, no need to.

Substitutes would depend on how you consume it. For example, if you use it as a source of protein you'd need different subs than if you just like the taste in oats or coffee.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Assuming no medical condition then you should eat any food you like that fits your calorie goal.
    You can eat smaller amounts or reduced fat dairy if calories are your only concern.

I choose not to drink milk but eat cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, butter pretty frequently.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I depend on dairy to hit my protein targets. So in my world, nothing at all wrong with it. I always have cheese and yogurt in the house.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Do you have any actual reason to avoid dairy? Maybe you could be more specific about your dairy concerns? If it is just because you read some stupid Dr. Oz article or some instagram post that dairy = bad - then no. Eat the dairy if you like it, it fits your calories and other goals, and you want to eat it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    If you have been eating diary and can tolerate diary, why cut it out? If you are trying to demonize diary, no need to. Milk, it does a body good. So does cheese, yogurt, etc. Nut milks are just flavored water, not much to those at all for me.