want to go to gym but can't afford/have baby

I'm 24 y.o and go to school part time. I have a psw certificate but haven't worked yet. I also have a 6 month old who I take care of from 7am-3pm and pretty much all day and night when his dad comes home from work at 3pm.

I really wanna join the gym . it would be $40 a month for a month to month membership and there's also a joining fee. i can't decide if I should take the plunge because my child's father is always complaning about having to look after our son and just wants to come home and relax. I feel bad but I'm still overweight a bit and have to lost about 15lbs to be my pre pregnancy weight. I don't want to join and then waste my money.

I don't know if I should save my money and just go to the workout room in my apartment
building which has an elliptical, treadmill, dumbells and rowing machine.

I haven't been motivated to go there and he is always putting me down about my weight and how I can't achieve anything.

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    You have a lot going on! And a baby puts stress on a relationship! I say forgo the gym and concentrate on eating well first. I lost 25 lbs through diet alone, and then added in walking. If you can do videos/YouTube at home, that's better. While gyms are nice, you also have to factor in the time to get there and get home. With your time crunch, may be easier to do stuff at home when the baby is asleep....or early morning, after he's had breakfast, and can just hang out in a bouncy seat while you get 20 mins of exercise. Hang in there...it does get easier!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Don't get a membership and not use it. Keep doing what you are doing to stay the course with your food intake and your calorie deficit, this will be your main way to lose fat.

That said, as others stated, go on walks with your little guy, and there are plenty of at home things you can do. YouTube; Fitness Blender; body weight routines like the ones below

- You are your own gym
    - Convict Conditioning
    - Nerd fitness beginner body weight routine
    - StrongCurves Booty-Ful
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    cheeri0z wrote: »
    I'm 24 y.o and go to school part time. I have a psw certificate but haven't worked yet. I also have a 6 month old who I take care of from 7am-3pm and pretty much all day and night when his dad comes home from work at 3pm.

I really wanna join the gym . it would be $40 a month for a month to month membership and there's also a joining fee. i can't decide if I should take the plunge because my child's father is always complaning about having to look after our son and just wants to come home and relax. I feel bad but I'm still overweight a bit and have to lost about 15lbs to be my pre pregnancy weight. I don't want to join and then waste my money.

I don't know if I should save my money and just go to the workout room in my apartment
    building which has an elliptical, treadmill, dumbells and rowing machine.

I haven't been motivated to go there and he is always putting me down about my weight and how I can't achieve anything.

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. You can get that by consuming fewer calories, burning more calories through exercise or a combination. You don't have to join a gym to lose weight.
    Enter your information into MFP and choose a goal no more than 1 lb a week. .Losing 5 lb a week might be more reasonable. Log what you currently eat and drink as accurately as you can. Make small changes over time.
    Protein, fats and fiber can help you feel more satisfied.
    You can exercise by walking, running, biking, exercise videos, dancing, swimming, roller skating, etc. There are tons of free workout videos on you tube.
    If you already have access to a workout room and no extra money or time it makes sense to use that for now. Put your money toward child care or savings to get a better living situation for yourself.
    You do have significant issues with your child's father putting you down and not sharing in child care. I'd think about the value of that relationship long term.
    Look for mom groups in your area. Check out programs at local churches or libraries.
    See if a friend of family member could help you out sometimes.
  • BobPulaski
    BobPulaski Posts: 56 Member
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. Half an hour in the comfort of your own home and they probably cost about $10 each. I've lost over 80 pounds with those DVDs and of course watching my food. A local library might even have them.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Many gyms, the YMCA for example have discounts for people who cannot afford the regular gym price and they also have child care while you are working out. Call your local gyms and ask them if they have discounts for students or for people who can't afford the full cost.
    And the baby's father.....it's his kid, too. Sorry, but the guy is an immature jerk.
  • BobPulaski
    BobPulaski Posts: 56 Member
    Additionally, to make a huge difference at a gym you need to REALLY know what you're doing. How often do you see people lazily pedaling a stationary bike while reading or spending an hour on an elliptical and not breaking a sweat? If you get one of the DVDs I mentioned (or any DVD) all you do is follow along and they tell you exactly what to do. Very simple and there's no travel time/bad weather to deal with so you're more likely to do it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Does the school you're attending have a fitness center and/or childcare/childshare options
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    edited November 2017
    I’m with mitch16 and LZminor....I also won’t comment on your relationship...you will figure that part out on your own. As for your apartment gym...I live in an apartment. A few months ago I visited about 4 gyms because I was thinking about joining. One of them has childcare. I decided on none of them because I have a workout facility where I live and I utilize it frequently. I have 3 small children and I have them all day by myself so I narrowed down my workout option times:

1. Before they get up 5am-7am
    2. After they go to bed - after 7/8pm
    3. While they nap - between 10-11 am or 2-3pm
    4. While they are running around. Lol! (This isn’t fun but it’s doable)

The last two options are in the apartment so some days I just have to do Pinterest, YouTube or use my creativity.

I wanted a strict schedule and to workout at the same time everyday because that’s what I used to do. I FINALLY accepted that’s impossible for me and my situation so it fluctuates from day to day and the important thing is just that I get it done.

It does get easier my dear. Know your options and go with one. Hang in there.

Oh and I forgot to mention I do often, when the weather permits, push them around in the complex in their stroller. They like it and I love the leg work. Winner!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    As a stay-at-home mom, who works full time from home I understand the difficulty finding time to workout. But, there are things that you can do. The YMCA offers child care. So, if you have one of those around you, and you really want to join a gym, that may be a better option than the one you are considering. You could invest the money you would spend on a gym in a jogging stroller -- this is what I did. I bought a used stroller from craigslist. It was still expensive, but has been worth every penny. You could invest in a BeachBodyOnDemand membership. That gives you a lot of workouts to choose from and you do them right in front of your computer. You can workout while the baby naps. If I had the option of a free gym, that's what I would use. I'd put the baby in a baby carrier or bouncer and bring the baby to the gym with me while he naps.

You have to figure out what will work best for you and then just stick with it. More important than working out is making sure your diet is right. Working out is good for your heart and important for your health, but doesn't make a huge difference with weight loss.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    I had a baby last year it was hard to get motivated and I'm sure even harder if no one supported me. I found it hard to get to the gym too with the baby so I worked out at home. I do Fitness Blender workouts on YouTube and go on walks. Track your calories too. Some days I wouldn't finish a workout because the baby needed me but I kept doing it as much as I could. Just do what you can each day and if it doesn't go perfect then tomorrow is a new day. As for your boyfriend he seems to have expected you would go back to what you looked like before the baby maybe. Tell him that is only possible for celebrities because they are rich and can afford chefs and trainers and nannies. If he wants you to be healthy and lose weight tell he needs to watch the baby or you you'll have to pay for a sitter. Dads don't babysit they should parent their kids. Good luck.