Thoughts on dumbbell only workout plans??

Want to try this one: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3-day-full-body-dumbbell-workout

I've never done a dumbbell only plan before so want to make sure I'm not forgetting about anything. Goal is to lift heavy while on maintenance.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i've done this one on and off and had pretty decent results buti'm not a dedicated lifter and use it in conjunction with triathlon training
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Want to try this one: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3-day-full-body-dumbbell-workout

I've never done a dumbbell only plan before so want to make sure I'm not forgetting about anything. Goal is to lift heavy while on maintenance.

I'm using a similar one from that website to supplement my running. So far so good.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I love that one. It’s the one I started with and then I modified it as time went on, but most of my workout is still done with dumbbells. My left side is stronger than my right so dumbbells makes sure I can’t overcompensate with my stronger side.
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Will have to try this
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    The best thing about d.b. is it forces equal work for muscles and better isolation workouts. Your stronger side can't over compensate.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Looks good to me :)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    I prefer using dumbbells if I can. I also work out during lunch at work and using the dumbbells is just easier. I am going to give this a go! Thank you for sharing!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I use dumbbells rather than barbell for Rows, bench press, and overhead press. It makes it quicker & easier to superset in with legs. Harder/more expensive to add fractional weight, so I have to up reps a few times before I can up the weight (previously with barbell, I just added fractional weight plates).
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    The best thing about d.b. is it forces equal work for muscles and better isolation workouts. Your stronger side can't over compensate.

Do you mind explaining this a little more? Because for dumbbell curls, I can usually do more reps with my right arm than with my left. However, if done with a barbell, I would do both for the same amount of reps.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

Do you mind explaining this a little more? Because for dumbbell curls, I can usually do more reps with my right arm than with my left. However, if done with a barbell, I would do both for the same amount of reps.

It means that every time you lift with the barbell, your strong arm will be helping the weak one out a little bit. It can't do that if using dumbbells.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Looks pretty good. And if you're short on time, the last three exercises for each workout can be eliminated or supersetted. Most of them are isolation exercises - the close-grip DB press hits the same muscles (albeit a slightly different way) as the reverse grip DB press.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member

As ritzvin stated your stronger or more dominate side will compensate for the weaker side when the weight is shared on the barbell. Dumbbells will allow you isolate your weak side for more symmetrical growth and strength. Dumbbells are a little better for range of motion for certain workouts as well since you don't have a bar across your body restricting some range of motion. Workouts such as "Seated Arnold Press" .

• alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member

As ritzvin stated your stronger or more dominate side will compensate for the weaker side when the weight is shared on the barbell. Dumbbells will allow you isolate your weak side for more symmetrical growth and strength. Dumbbells are a little better for range of motion for certain workouts as well since you don't have a bar across your body restricting some range of motion. Workouts such as "Seated Arnold Press" .

Oh, this makes sense now! Thank you all for your input. Starting today for workout 1.

• Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Bump
  • jbm10389
    jbm10389 Posts: 4 Member
    Dumbbells are ok but it you are looking for better gains in strength Barbell movements are much better especially when you stick to the main lifts Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Overhead Press
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    jbm10389 wrote: »
    Dumbbells are ok but it you are looking for better gains in strength Barbell movements are much better especially when you stick to the main lifts Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Overhead Press

Depending on where their strength is to start, dumbbells will give good strength gains as a starting place. I do all of those compound lifts with dumbbells and did from the start. Now I’ve maxed out my dumbbell availability for deadlifts, so I’m moving onto barbell.
    But unless they start off bench pressing over 100lb on day one why not start with dumbbells and then progress to barbell when your strength gains bypass dumbbell availability?

I mean, a 10lb strength gain is a 10lb strength gain either way right? I’m not sure how one can be better than the other unless you stop doing progressive overload.
  • how do You record any of this? I cant seem to find anything in the search, and im just starting out and it is already frustrating me. Thanks
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    I love dumbbell only workout. I actually use Body Beast DVD by Beachbody. Been doing this for about a year. Found good dummbells on different apps that sell items.