Tips for feeling Sooo Hungry all the time!

Hi all, do you have any tips besides drinking water or eating celery to fill the feeling of being hungry? I feel hungry all the time, am I just going to have to get used to this? Even adding veggies would put me over my calorie goal. I'm getting all the protein, carbs and fats allowed and eating veggies and fruit, just been eating like a fool for too long I guess!?

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    If you just started monitoring your intake, you may go through an adjustment period. Have you tried volume eating? I can't see your diary so I can't really give you any advice on things you may want to do differently. What is your calorie goal? What are you fitness, if any, goals?
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    What's your daily calorie goal?
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Go for a walk. It sounds crazy, but it will show you whether you're hungry or just munchy. If you've been cutting sugar, you're going to crave it for a week or two, and it FEELS like hunger. Walking will take your mind off of it if it's a craving, and if you're legitly hungry you can earn some calories to eat something.

What you're putting in your mouth will affect how hungry you feel. If you have no carbs, yes, you're probably going to feel hungry all the time. Watermelon is a great low-cal snack that curbs hunger if you don't mind the carbs. I personally eat a sandwich for lunch on oatmeal bread and it keeps me feeling pretty full until late afternoon.

I recommend a fitbit. Take steps, earn calories. More calories, easier to stay full.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    How many calories per day are you shooting for? How much do you weigh? How tall are you? Male or female? Age?

I suspect you've set your daily calories way too low and that's why you're hungry all the time.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    I had a short period of adjustment after starting my calorie-restriction. I think your body does get used to it. I also did some adjusting to what I eat and that has helped in the long run. I no longer eat cereal for breakfast, even though it would fit in my calorie goals. I eat things that will keep me feeling full for longer. Same with other food choices. I switched my snacks to items that were lower in calories but made me feel satisfied. And yes, I am constantly drinking water or tea throughout the day - it really helps! It takes some time and some experimenting but you will get there!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited November 2017
    Snacks! Plan your meals out, including snacks, the day before. Do you exercise? An hour walk in the evening will give you more calories to play with.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Diary not open... that said..

How long has it been since you started your calorie deficit?
    How many pounds did you setup MFP to lose each week?
    Do you exercise?
    Have you tried to work with meal timing?
    Have you tried working with different variations of foods that provide you with the most energy balance (finding foods that provide you with satiety.. balance of proteins, healthy fats and mix of carbs?)
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    I just started again 2 weeks. It's been many years since eating healthy, so yes I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with my body getting used to it. My calorie goal is 1200 which would only give me a 1 pound weight loss per week with my 5'3 172 body. I saw a nutritionist and she set it at that as well. I would like to lose 35 pounds and I'm 54. Unfortunately I am not able to exercise due to a muscle condition but I can do short 5 minute walks, or walking with a cart a little further.
  • trackme
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What are your macros? Many people find that more protein and fewer carbs helps satiety. Try adjusting that balance by 5-10%. Swapping protein for carbs won't affect your total calories.
  • trackme
    Aplant77 wrote: »
    I had a short period of adjustment after starting my calorie-restriction. I think your body does get used to it. I also did some adjusting to what I eat and that has helped in the long run. I no longer eat cereal for breakfast, even though it would fit in my calorie goals. I eat things that will keep me feeling full for longer. Same with other food choices. I switched my snacks to items that were lower in calories but made me feel satisfied. And yes, I am constantly drinking water or tea throughout the day - it really helps! It takes some time and some experimenting but you will get there!

What do you eat for breakfast and snacks that are more satisfying?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    1 pound a week might be too much at this point, with only 35lb left to lose. Go for .5lb/week, it'll give you a bit more calories every day. Also, if you're going to see anyone go see a registered dietician, not a nutritionist.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Drink lots of water!!! Sometimes we assume that the feeling in our stomach is that we need food.

If you definitely need to eat a snack, choose fruit or veggies!
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    I find the easiest way is just to not eat when I'm out and about, at work, or otherwise busy. It's easier not to during those times and then you get used to and more comfortable with the feeling of hunger, and over time your appetite shrinks and you don't feel as constantly hungry.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    edited November 2017
    Exercise is important and curbs the appetite. You say you have a condition but there might be ways around it. Maybe small dumb Bells with your arms if your legs are not good or elastic bands. Maybe a reclining bicycle to move without the pressure or the balance. Sometimes even by just going outside and breathe fresh air might be good, forcing your body to adjust temperature and things. I don't know how debilitating your condition is but maybe you could ask your doctor or go to a gym and ask a QUALIFIED instructor about the stuff you could do.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    I hate feeling hungry . Its the one thing that will always derail me.

What i do to help this is controversial on MFP as i intermittently fast. I skip breakfast & just eat for 8 hours a day. It takes a few days to get used to but then i found that hunger is less prononced & i get to eat much larger meals.

Have a bit of a Google and see if this would work for you.

Otherwise i would suggest huge amounts of veg with each meal as the volume will fill you up. Or increase your protein and reduce your processed carbs (pasta, bread, rice etc).

Other things i do that may help as well:

Snack on nuts or cheese.

Drink tea or coffee or water.

Reduce sweeteners.... They make me hungry.

Good luck!! :smiley:
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    I would echo the drinking plenty tip, but also suggest upping your protein intake as it does tend to make you feel fuller for longer.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I hate feeling hungry . Its the one thing that will always derail me.

What i do to help this is controversial on MFP as i intermittently fast. I skip breakfast & just eat for 8 hours a day. It takes a few days to get used to but then i found that hunger is less prononced & i get to eat much larger meals.

Have a bit of a Google and see if this would work for you.

Otherwise i would suggest huge amounts of veg with each meal as the volume will fill you up. Or increase your protein and reduce your processed carbs (pasta, bread, rice etc).

Other things i do that may help as well:

Snack on nuts or cheese.

Drink tea or coffee or water.

Reduce sweeteners.... They make me hungry.

Good luck!! :smiley:

Actually there are lots of people on here to utilize IF in various forms. There are some good groups you can get involved with on here as well.
  • monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    Try cutting down on the carbs, you can up your fat intake which will make you more full. Cut the sugar, processed foods and gluten. You won't be so hungry in between meals.
  • thenamessully
    thenamessully Posts: 11 Member
    When you feel like you wanna eat something but know you shouldn't, brush your teeth! The act will distract you. The minty freshness will make anything taste weird. And youve got healthy teeth!