Your favorite documentary?

sbro32
sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
I love a good motivational documentary about people who turned their life around with diet and exercise. There’s a lotttttt of hokey stuff out there though. Anybody got any recommendations?

Replies

• I love them too! Total guilty pleasure. I can't/won't recommend any though, because as you said there is a lot of bias. (And I'd get booed by someone lol).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I look at them all as entertainment - nothing I'd base my life on. The one I did watch recently that I thought was motivating was From Fat to Finish Line.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,057 Member
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Supersizers is fun to watch.

Puts me off fast food when I'mcraving it
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I enjoy nature documentaries as well as human rights/justice/struggles. Slingshot Hip Hop and 13 are what comes to mind.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    "The Last Waltz" - documenting the final concert of The Band on Thanksgiving night in 1976. Simply amazing.
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! They’re a fun little guilty pleasure for me, too. I’ll give all these a go! And I have to humbly admit that What The Health is what prompted this post. I was twenty minutes into it when I suddenly felt both A) uninspired and B) punked. I went straight to these community forums for all my debunking needs!
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Watched "what the health" with my partner. We kept having to pause it to yell at the morons ! :s
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    sbro32 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions! They’re a fun little guilty pleasure for me, too. I’ll give all these a go! And I have to humbly admit that What The Health is what prompted this post. I was twenty minutes into it when I suddenly felt both A) uninspired and B) punked. I went straight to these community forums for all my debunking needs!

Punked was my reaction too (I have not finished it), and I'm reasonably open to the plant-based arguments. It's just such transparent games/tactics were annoying.

On other documentaries, I've had Gatekeepers out from Netflix for an insane amount of time and should probably watch it already. I can't seem to get myself to watch anything I cannot stream, so when I finish this and send it back I'm cancelling the non streaming part of my membership.
  • Benbedelljr
    Benbedelljr Posts: 8 Member
    "The Thin Blue Line", it is film that successfully argued that a man was wrongly convicted for murder by a corrupt justice system in Dallas County, Texas.
  • pumasareace
    pumasareace Posts: 28 Member
    The WidowMaker is pretty good all about heart disease (morbid, I know)

The House I Live In - All about the war on drugs

Prescription Thugs - How big Pharma is shaping peoples lives (predominantly in the USA)

13th - The history of the USA prison system and why it is failing everyone

Get me Roger Stone - Really interesting character that helped get Trump into office

The Barkley Marathons - An insane race organised buy a quirky old man who used to run marathons.

Pumping Iron - Arnold Schwarzenegger and his rise to Mr Universe

Every Second Counts: The Story of the 2008 CrossFit Games

The Hurt Business - Story of up and coming stars in MMA

Fittest on Earth - 10yrs of Crossfit and what people do to prepare for the Crossfit Games

Sunshine Superman - The pioneer of Base Jumping and the evolution of the sport
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"

"Forks Over Knives"

"What the Health"

• Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Zero Days:

Scary to think of what hackers can do.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    If you want to ball your eyes for 2 hours : cries from syria