50C 35P 15F for fat loss? So confused.

I have always just been thinking then I need to eat more protein more protein more protein and more fat to lose weight. But when I do my macros it tells me I need 50% carbs 35 protein and 15 fat to lose weight. What are you doing?
I want to lose fat and lean out.

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I basically have a protein goal, and although I do set a fat and carb split, it's not a big deal if I trade them off as long as I'm within my calories. I'm often over my carbs and under my fat.

One of the simplest suggestions I ever heard (from a well-qualified PT for people who are starting to think about macros, and want to support muscle growth or retention) is start at 33:33:33 and tweak from there based on what you find works or doesn't work for you.
    Some people feel fuller for longer on proteins (me), some on fats and some on high carb.
    As @livingleanlivingclean says, it's basically personal preference.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    High carb makes me hungry and want more snacks.

High protein helps me feel full.

Loads of veg helps me feel healthy and feel full.

But do what works for you. Have a play with your meals. Make a note of what meals make you feel snacky after.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    HealthHap wrote: »
    I have always just been thinking then I need to eat more protein more protein more protein and more fat to lose weight. But when I do my macros it tells me I need 50% carbs 35 protein and 15 fat to lose weight. What are you doing?
    I want to lose fat and lean out.

that little fat is concerning?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Ample protein while in a calorie deficit is very important in your diet, this provides you with additional muscle insurance as you lose weight. Its looks like the fat percentage at 15% is too low.

I don't do the percentages but use the below as a guide to help you determine how to set them up.

.6 to .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i do 130g a protein a day which is approx 23% of my daily intake and have no problems slowly recomping
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited November 2017
    There is no specific optimal mix of the three macros for weight loss. For health, there's debate. For satiety, there's individual differences. Eat the mix that most satisfies you while making sure to get enough protein and fats for health.

For protein, arguably, 0.8 g per kilogram of body weight (0.37 grams per pound) but these figures presuppose you are at a healthy BMI. There seems to be no answer as to whether one should use one's present weight for these calculations if you are obese. Arguably, we should not consume any transfats and limit saturated fat consumption but recent research from Japan suggests that current limits for saturated fat are too low and no one knows how much mono- and poly-unsaturated fat we need for healthy cellular development but we do need some.

In other words, no one knows what the optimal mix is. Make sure to get "enough" protein and fats -- whatever that may be. Eat "enough" fruits, vegetables and grains to get the fiber and micronutrients they supply -- whatever that is. Choose your targets, if any, based on what satisfies your appetite.

For weight loss, eat fewer calories than you burn. For weight gain, eat more calories than you burn.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    high carb will generally not lose fat. But it can cause fatty liver.

Completely untrue. And by the way, I've lost 130 lbs with 50-60% of my calories coming from carbs. And my liver is just fine.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Calorie deficit is important for weight loss. Macro split is personal preference...

I don't do percentages. I work protein out at about 0.8g per lb of body weight, 0.35-0.45g fat per lb, and the rest of my calories go to whatever I like (generally all carbs for me, but it doesn't matter).

I agree with this! OP, are you getting enough fat? 15% would be too low for me. Also, it helps to think of calories as a maximum and fat/protein/fiber as minimums.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    high carb will generally not lose fat. But it can cause fatty liver.

Source?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    HealthHap wrote: »
    I have always just been thinking then I need to eat more protein more protein more protein and more fat to lose weight.
    Sorry but that doesn't make sense - protein and fat both have calories and it's your calorie balance that determines if you lose weight/lose body fat.
    It's eating less that causes you to lose weight not eating more! :smile:

Aim for a diet that makes adherence to your calorie goal easier for you while still fulfilling your nutritional and health needs. Higher than normal protein while dieting is helpful but doesn't need to be excessive.
    But when I do my macros it tells me I need 50% carbs 35 protein and 15 fat to lose weight. What are you doing?
    Percentages aren't the best way to set up your macros IMHO and both protein and fat are better regarded as minimum goals rather than maximums. Those minimum requirements are the same whether you have a low calorie allowance or a high calorie allowance which is why percentages really aren't a great idea.
    On a big cycling day when I have a huge calorie target if I went by percentages my protein goal would be a whole cow! :smile:

For me when dieting - 1g protein per lb of estimated Lean Body Mass, 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight, rest of my calorie allowance comes from whatever macro suits me but mostly from carbs as I like carbs and carbs like me.

• ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    I trend higher with protein because of diabetes. Same with fiber. I don't avoid carbs, but I do try to limit them somewhat.
  • maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    I'm a huge carb addict so I feel good on a 60/20/20 cfp split. The "Standard American Diet" is 50/30/20. Unless you are getting very into fitness, your macro ratios are less important than your calorie total, getting micronutrients and fiber, and feeling good with what you eat.