Staying strong when it’ll take years to lose the weight

I guess I’m looking for a little support from people who spent years losing a massive amount of weight.

I’ve found, in the past, that I tend to self-sabotage after the 8 month to a year mark. My MFP weight loss graph looks like a roller coaster because of this. And I know it’s completely my fault, I just tend to get disheartened when I think about how far/long I have to go.

Just last night I was looking at my future weight loss calendar. I like to mark on a calendar when I’ll hit small milestones (attainable ones, I’m usually much further along by the time I hit them). And it hit me, yet again, that I’m looking at probably 2 or 3 years of work to lose the 150lbs I need to lose.

I’ve maintained a 50lb loss for probably 6 years now, at one time almost hitting the 100lb lost mark, but regaining (keto was definitely not for me). I’m not looking for tricks to make it faster, I know how CICO works and I weigh everything using a good scale. I’m just feeling overwhelmed as I’m re-starting this long climb.

Replies

• purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Don't stop doing something just because it'll take 2 years. The 2 years will still pass .

I've been doing this for a year in Jan & i have a year to go to get to a good weight.

To make the long term plan easier you could allow yourself 1 or 2 days a week to eat at maintanance ( i do Friday and Saturday) then you have something to look forward to every week. It breaks down the time & you only have to do 5 days before you get your reward.
  • Faye369
    Faye369 Posts: 33 Member
    5 years ago I could not balance long enough on one leg to take my sock off. Motivated by mobility, right then I decided to become more active. Over the next couple of years I improved my stamina and overall core strength to where I could walk/run a 5K... then I plateaued :( And my motivation changed .. I like getting smaller and the way I was feeling but for over a month and a half nothing I did produced any movement either on the scale or in the way my clothes fit. Then one day in May 2016 I saw an interview Dr Oz was having with a Dr Michael Mosley talking about intermittent fasting ...2 days a week limit intake to up to 500 calories and the other 5 days eat normally. I started the next day! It is a slow process and although it is a two steps forward and one back, the trend is still downward ... 72.2 lbs and 3 more to go! I can do the 5:2 for the rest of my life and not feel deprived because it's only one day and doable. I can go and enjoy a meal and drinks with my friends because I know I can balance it out with a Fast Day. Find what works for you and try not to get discouraged. You can do this!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I completely understand how you feel. I started out with a little over 100 pounds to lose. I lost around 25 or so and maintained a loss of 18 pounds for several years. Finally I got serious and came here and lost the rest. It has taken me 2 years to get here. When you have alot to lose it can feel overwhelming. What I found and since you have lost 50 you can probably concur that you start to feel better even before reaching goal. Take the journey a few steps at a time. Several people who have replied gave you some good pointers. I broke my journey into stages and set smaller goals. In the beginning I was unsure just how low I could get anyway. I set a goal that would get me out of the morbidly obese catagory first. Reaching that was awesome, next was going from obese to just overweight, then within a normal BMI. I never did reach my ultimate goal because I was 16 when I weighed that and I'm 61 now. I'll probably never lose that last 6 pounds or so.

Anyway take your time. There are some advantages to taking a slower route. One of the things I've learned is that I can no longer eat the large meals I used to eat. I actually get sick, lol. It took time to get to that point and the only way I found out was my 60th birthday when I decided to eat whatever I wanted. I ended up nauseated all night from the fat and volume of food I'd eaten. The other things I've learned is that there are foods I would never normally have considered eating that I now enjoy. Also I have mostly broken the sugar addiction. All these things took time. Every step was worth the wait.

Don't look at the long road ahead, stop and appreciate the experience. Diet at a level that you can maintain without feeling like you are starving. This is a lifestyle change not a temporary change. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe I'm just lucky that when I started on MFP, I wasn't even that serious about losing weight, so it didn't matter how long it took. I'm on day 1038 and down 110+ lbs. I believe I actually hit the 110 mark on day 925. Everyone wants to do it fast, but fast losses rarely stick. Slow progress is progress. It's the best kind of progress, if you ask me. It allows you to adapt more easily when you're making subtle changes. Every pound is a victory.
    I have had a similar experience with MFP. I can't really/honestly pinpoint which day I hit goal weight, I just eased into maintenance mode, and then lost a few more pounds... I'm now at my "junior high" weight, and feel great. The subtle changes are easy to live with, but almost drove me crazy in the beginning, because I was used to struggling to fanfares. This was so different, like, really, just ordinary everyday life? How can that possibly make a difference?
    Takes time to get used to, I'm not quite there yet, and I'm four years in!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I'm maintaining a 60+lb loss for years. I always get within 10 lbs of goal, change plans and screw myself over. I started a thread in Motivation and Support on Flip flopping plans about this. I always look at someone else's success, try out what they're doing, find it doesn't work for me and set myself back a good few lbs. If I had just stuck to calorie counting since I first came here a couple years ago I'd be at goal, but I keep playing this stupid game. And when I look at progress pictures, Libra and food logs I realize it's when I'm following my caloric goals I'm at my best. I need to stop the self sabotage and focus.

Moving forward, it is overwhelming looking at close to 100 lbs to lose. But as already said, time will pass whether you start or not. I'm probably not the best person to take advice from, but it seems like you know exactly what you want to do, so follow your plan one day at a time. Don't look at the time or the total. You got a lot of great advice up there, a lot of it I'll be taking myslf.