Protein rich vegan food except for tofu

Would love to know some high protein plant based foods to add into my daily meals. So I can keep my carbs and fats down but increase the protein.
I'm gluten free and can't handle much soy. Cheers Deb.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    >>Not a vegan at the moment
    In order to fit the calories and get more protein, eat less fruit.
    Add lentils, garbanzo beans, navy beans, black beans,
    Also lots of leafy greens: Swiss chard, broccoli rabe, kale, spinach, bok choy, collard greens,romaine,brussel sprouts,
    Also other veggies: asparagus, green beans, yellow squash, zucchini, cauliflower, eggplants,
  • kayah327
    kayah327 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been wondering this as well! Maybe quinioa or another high protein grain? Could also have a smoothie with a plant based protein powder like rice or pea in it :smile:
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 383 Member
    Tempeh,Seitan meats,protein powders, chickpeas, vegan yogurt cups,vegan cheeses.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If you're gluten free and can't handle soy, then this is going to be tough. All other vegan protein sources tend to come with a hefty helping of carbs. Maybe try a pea protein supplement?
  • debparfitt
    debparfitt Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for all your replies. I think I will just have to go back lots and lots of plants. And use up all the spinach and silverbeet in the garden.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    That is tough because many great meatless proteins are either soy or have gluten. Beans and nuts are going to be your best bet. There are also some grains that have relatively high amounts of protein but no gluten--quinoa, amaranth, etc. Peas also have a good amount of protein relative to other green veggies.

If you're consistently well under your protein goals, you might add a protein powder. There are a few vegan ones that are soy-free and gluten-free, like Vega, Orgain, and Trader Joe's pea protein powder.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Tempeh,Seitan meats,protein powders, chickpeas, vegan yogurt cups,vegan cheeses.

seitan is gluten, so not a good idea for someone who is gluten free.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    My answer, as always, is to read the thread below, which links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories). Go to the spreadsheet, scroll past the meaty/fishy things at the top, find some plant foods you like, and eat more of them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    I can't eat soy either and try to be about 90% vegetarian. I use Peanut Protein powder that is defatted (NOT PB2). I use quinoa in salads or with roasted vegetables. Lots of beans, hummus, almond milk, nuts and seeds and lentils. Don't forget you may need to take vitamin B12 supplements. I do eat an egg 1-2 times a week and add Trader Joe's egg white protein powder to smoothies but I am not vegan.
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Sun Warrior Protein shake to get all your amino acids and a blend of quality proteins. But if that's not an option, keep it simple and combine Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) & Quinoa and you'll have a complete protein. Vega protein is excellent but a little more pricey. Look for RAW protein shakes. What this means is that they do not heat the foods high enough to destroy the enzymes.

Of course Soy, soy beans are probably the highest proteins out there but if you want to avoid soy then try the other options. Tempeh is a fermented tofu whish is high in proteins/amino acids and usually does better on the digestive system than Tofu.

Google or youtube Vegan body builders and you'll see what they eat as well.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Hemp!!!!
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    Beans and Nuts. Pea Protein is the best supplement I have found. I use Vega vegan protein smoothie, the choco-a-lot flavor is ok because it isn't very sweet. A lot of these protein supplements have so much stevia they make you sick.

That being said, if you don't have celiac and/or gluten sensitivity, scrap the gluten free and just make seitan. I make a loaf once a week and it 25 grams of protein per serving, no carbs, easy to digest, totally delicious, and absolutely amazing.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member

Not vegan cheeses so much. Most of the commercial ones have 1g or less of protein per serving, unfortunately.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

Not vegan cheeses so much. Most of the commercial ones have 1g or less of protein per serving, unfortunately.

And not all vegan yogurt is a good source of protein either. Soy has a good amount, but almond and coconut yogurt don't have much at all.
  • gettingfitter777
    gettingfitter777 Posts: 11 Member
    I've been vegan for 3 years now, and the best protein is honestly black beans. When I don't have time I grab a can from the store, otherwise I just cook my own in water. It's an amazing source of protein, and black beans are super tasty with rice and veggies and some thai sauce. Super easy, nutritious and low calorie. I always opt for natural foods that some processed food powders, even if the powder is vegan and organic it still contains way more chemicals than is needed, and it's hard on the liver and the kidneys. Good luck!
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    edited November 2017
    Dry brown lentils have 980 calories and 114g protein per pound. And they're dirt cheap.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Re the protein in lentils above, I'm seeing about 100 g of protein for 1275 cal of lentils (from USDA).

IMO, the easiest vegan sources other than soybeans are:

Other beans and lentils (in addition to lentils, some numbers): black beans (roughly 100 g of protein in 1500 cal), kidney (roughly 100 g of protein for 1400 cal), so on.
    Protein powder (but I can see not wanting to consume a lot of it, and it can be hard to find a good vegan one)
    Seitan (if you enjoy it)

Best option is probably including a mix of things with protein -- beans/lentils for sure, and also grains, vegetables, nuts and seeds, so on.

Re the claim above that all protein powders contain way more "chemicals" (what specific chemicals, everything has chemicals) than needed and are hard on the liver and kidneys -- on what is that based, and given the huge diversity of ingredients it seems, well, like a statement of faith or something from a dubiously-sourced website.

Here are the ingredients in TJ's pea protein, unsweetened: pea protein isolate.

Now, Vega's All in One shake has a ton of ingredients (to contrast), but they are mostly because they purport to be healthy. Are they worth paying extra for it? That's a legitimate question (I would say depends on the taste -- some Vega products I like, some I don't, I really think it's about the amount of stevia, since I am not wild about the taste of it, I prefer milder or unflavored kinds and then adding my own flavors with the ingredients I choose, like frozen fruit. But in any case, here are the ingredients so we can determine what's bad for the liver and kidnets:

PEA PROTEIN, FLAXSEED, ORGANIC ACACIA GUM, PEA STARCH, HEMP PROTEIN, SACHA INCHI PROTEIN, ORGANIC GELATINIZED MACA ROOT, ORGANIC BROCCOLI, INULIN (FROM CHICORY ROOT), ORGANIC SPIRULINA NATURAL FLAVORS, DRIED FRUIT AND VEGETABLE BLEND (NUTRIENTS EXTRACTED FROM SPINACH BROCCOLI, CARROT, BEET, TOMATO, APPLE, CRANBERRY, ORANGE, CHERRY, BLUEBERRY, STRAWBERRY, SHITAKE MUSHROOM), ORGANIC KALE, ORGANIC MARINE ALGAE, PROBIOTICS (BACILLUS COAGULANS), CHLORELLA VULGARIS, PAPAIN, SILICON DIOXIDE, DRIED FRUIT BLEND (GRAPE SEED EXTRACT, ORGANIC POMEGRANATE, ACAI, MANGOSTEEN, ORGANIC GOJI, ORGANIC MAQUI)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Trying to keep your carbs down while being a soy and gluten intolerant vegan?

You can't do it. All of your protein sources as a vegan are carb heavy since they are going to be grain/bean based with the possible exception of protein powders.

You mentioned above getting protein from plants, but they are incomplete proteins and certainly will not get you sufficient amounts of protein.

I have celiac disease and am soy intolerant myself. This is why I remain a vegetarian rather than transitioning to veganism.
  • debparfitt
    debparfitt Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for ur response. I use to eat eggs but had to stop due to getting all body psoriasis. I've got rid of it now and haven't gone back to eggs.