Salt

Hi due to a medical condition I have to have between 6-10 grams of salt per day. I know salt can prevent you from losing weight. I’m not sure how many calories per day I should go for. I am 5 ft 6 and weigh 12 stone 7lb. Gained over a stone since May. Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Salt will not prevent you from losing weight, although high levels of it can cause temporary water weight retention.

As far as calories, have you tried putting your stats and goals into MFP and getting a calorie goal that way? Many of us here use MFP for our calorie goals and have had success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    MFP will tell you how much to eat... set if to lose 1lb per week.
  • KarenPurton
    KarenPurton Posts: 3 Member
    Salt will not prevent you from losing weight, although high levels of it can cause temporary water weight retention.

As far as calories, have you tried putting your stats and goals into MFP and getting a calorie goal that way? Many of us here use MFP for our calorie goals and have had success.

• KarenPurton
    KarenPurton Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all so much. There is hope for me then. I’ll check that out :-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    By any chance do you have POTS?
  • GuyWinton
    GuyWinton Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2017
    Salt can give you thick blood and therefore high blood pressure and poor circulation. Those conditions affect your general health and ability to lose weight...

You can see my thoughts at

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40919782#Comment_40919782

Best of luck to you!
  • 3costcofans
    3costcofans Posts: 1 Member
    Curious to know if you have POTS
    I have it
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    GuyWinton wrote: »
    Salt can give you thick blood and therefore high blood pressure and poor circulation. Those conditions affect your general health and ability to lose weight...

You can see my thoughts at

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40919782#Comment_40919782

Best of luck to you!

She said that she HAS to have it for a medical condition. Very different situations.

OP, as others have said, if your salt intake is consistent, then the water retention will also be consistent and therefore shouldn't have much influence on your weight loss, other than some fluctuations. Consider a trending app, such as HappyScale, Libra, or TrendWeight. This will help to see that any fluctuations you do experience are not true indications of your weight loss progress.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2017
    She said that she HAS to have it for a medical condition. Very different situations.

Yeah I read that, but no, its not 2 different conditions. No matter why she's taking the salt, without some mitigating additional drug, the salt will cause thick blood and poor circulation, etc.

Since she's under a Dr's care, its really a question for him/her...

...if the drug ads prove nothing else, they show that there is no ingested substance that doesn't have side effects...

Without knowing anything about OP's medical condition or what their doctor has said (or what other medical conditions or drugs may already be in place), you have no way of knowing that. 6 grams of salt per day is about 2,300 mg, which is the USDA recommendation. So let's calm down about the "thick blood and poor circulation," okay?

OP's question was about salt and weight loss.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Yeah I read that, but no, its not 2 different conditions. No matter why she's taking the salt, without some mitigating additional drug, the salt will cause thick blood and poor circulation, etc.

...if the drug ads prove nothing else, they show that there is no ingested substance that doesn't have side effects...

Without further information and a full medical history, which is well beyond the scope of an Internet forum of strangers, you have no idea if your opinion is appropriate here. She is under medical care for her medical condition. Are you trying to suggest her doctor is recommending inappropriate interventions? Because that's how your post read to me. If yes, you do not have enough information to be suggesting that. She wasn't asking for advice about her medical condition, only about the effect on her weight and weight loss.
  • psuLemon

People with POTS have to consume 6000 to 10000mg of sodium a day. That is a fact. If my wif doesnt consume enouhh salt, she will go into pre-tachycardia. People with POTS have low blood volume, high resting heart rates and require sodium as its an electrolyte.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Hi. I'm ment to have the same salt intake as you, but i have trouble getting enough every day. Just wondering if you have any tips on ways to increase salt intake (other than just adding to food). I was soooo low last week i actually just tried drinking salt in water (don't try this it nearly made me vom lol).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    You can still lose with high salt. I lost and am maintaining and get 10-16k mg sodium a day.
  • psuLemon
    Hi. I'm ment to have the same salt intake as you, but i have trouble getting enough every day. Just wondering if you have any tips on ways to increase salt intake (other than just adding to food). I was soooo low last week i actually just tried drinking salt in water (don't try this it nearly made me vom lol).

My wife salts everything (including bacon). She also consumes a few different types of electrolyte drinks (NUUN, Emergen-C, ZippFizz, NA Hydrate) and tries to consume adequate levels of potassium/magnesium to help support electrolyte balance.

Unfortunately, her POTS is so bad that she has to get Sodium Chloride infusions (1 liter bag) every other week.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    I was looking for a n electrolite drink but everything I've found is stuffed with sugar or sweeteners. Are any of the ones your wife drinks low sugar and sweetener??
  • psuLemon
    I was looking for a n electrolite drink but everything I've found is stuffed with sugar or sweeteners. Are any of the ones your wife drinks low sugar and sweetener??

They have like 1g of sugar or less IIRC. IDK, I don't really worry about sugar as it doesn't impact weight loss or anything.