Wheat Belly

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I think my belly likes wheat as much as I like delicious, fresh bread, warm, straight out of the oven spread with good salted butter.

Drooling at the fresh bread and real butter.

If it wasnt going to be 34C this weekend I would be baking a loaf.

Quick question: is it that you can't be fussed to bake in this heat or is that hot weather harms the breadmaking process in some way? I'm asking because mom will be coming in a few days and I want to make her a loaf of her favorite sourdough bread but it looks like it's going to be hot.

P.S (and I know people will kill me for this): I don't like grass fed store bought butter. I grew up with two kinds of butter: the kind we churned ourselves from the milk of our own (grassfed) cows back when I was a kid and spent the summer at my grandparents, and Lurpak. So any store bought butter has to be Lurpak or it tastes odd to me. Store bought grass fed butter taste NOTHING like what I remember freshly churned butter tasting.

Lurpak is delicious! If I can't find Kerry Gold, Lurpak is my #2 choice :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I read that as a bra size for a second.

Ditto. Glad I wasn't the only one. LOL

Me too! :D

Your brains works in F not in C, so it's understandable ;)

:laugh:

So cor anglais instead of oboe?

Ha! Well played!

Well, I had to stay in key or else I'd be flat.

Then you would have to tone up! :p

Oh, you're a sharp one! I like how you conduct yourself.

We're going to have to scale back on these jokes. They may fall flat to those who don't like treble.

Well played indeed! :D
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I have the book, read it, and did follow it for a while. I lost weight. But it was not something I could live with. I always lose quite easily on lo-carb diets but I can't sustain it. So I'm trying a less extreme approach by avoiding bread as much as possible (except for an occasional bagel or on a sandwich from time to time). Also trying to keep pasta down, but it really depends on the kind of pasta. I've spent time in Italy on three separate occasions and ate bread and pasta for lunch and dinner AND lost weight. (But I ate no snacks).

There are a lot of people it works for but unless one really analyzes a before and after diet, it's not that easy to say that it is only the elimination of grains that does it--it could be that the people just ate less overall when they eliminated the wheat and other grains.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    I'm almost completely off wheat ( 1x a week tops) and minimal other grain (2 or 3 servings a week tops - usually oatmeal) since I started trying to get healthy in April[.

Was wheat making me fat? No. Well I was overeating and a large part of that overeating was wheat- but wheat wasn't the underlying cause I'll guess. Was wheat having a very bad effect on my digestive system? I certainly think so. With my wheat intake almost at 0 my acid reflux disappeared, heartburn and gas have improved to about 1/10th the levels they were, and what is coming out of me is regular now. Only one stomach flu like incident since April and they were at least monthly occurrences before.

So what do I think of Wheat Belly? I think that there is probably some correlation for some people that wheat is at least partially connected to digestive problems. I certainly seem to be one of those folks. But the science isn't there yet ( not to mention that by eliminating wheat you are eliminating most processed foods which includes the high sugar, sodium and trans fats they have) so I'd say if you are older, overweight and have digestive problems trying to eliminate or drastically reduce wheat in your diet is not a bad thing to try.

But, overall I'd say: Wheat Belly? Take it with a grain of salt. (LOL) :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I'm started on this for about 2 weeks. Plant base and grain free. from my only personal experience. I noticed my energy level is back. I had fog brain for months and couldn't figure it out. I'm gluten sensitive as well. Lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. I couldn't really loose anything eating grains and being vegan.

And I'm not as hungry nor sugar cravings. I replaced my grains with root vegetables instead for the filling. It may not work for everyone but it works for me. I'd say just try out for 7 days, take notes and either love it or hate it.

As for me, I'm loving the feeling again.

1-10 rating. w/ 10 being the highest

Energy before - 1
    Energy after - 6

Success with toning before - 3
    Success with toning after - 7

Mental focus/clarity before - 2
    Mental focus/clarity after - 6

Testosterone drive before - 4
    Testosterone drive after - 7

Reasons for trying it? Energy and mental focus. I noticed I don't process grains to well, so I needed something different. Again, not for everyone, if you're fine with bread and wheat/ then go for it. but for me , it's been working w/in the 2 week period. I noticed the changes during the 4th day. Detox symptoms were slightly noticeable but not too bad.

Testosterone drive? Do you mean that your testosterone levels have improved (as in you've had blood work done) or that your libido has increased? These aren't the same thing.

Have your sleep habits improved?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    So much EVIL in this one beautiful picture :) of course missing is the real grass fed salted butter.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

-- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

"Eeeeevvvviiilll!"

-- Richard Burton, Exorcist II
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    It's more than just wheat. There are many manufactured foods out there (and illnesses) that create sensitivities for SOME people (not all).

There has been so much more data available now as apposed to 28 years ago when my daughter was small. It makes me angry that I didn't know what I didn't know.

What I wished I had known:

Soy can be an endocrine disruptor and can affect growth rate, cause early onset of menarche in girls, and delayed puberty in boys (as well as a host of fertility / thyroid problems in men and women)

Pre-packaged meals often contain chemicals / additives that the body cannot assimilate, e.g. GMOs. Some people are bothered by them, other people are not.

Corporately farmed food may not be as healthy as food farmed by traditional methods

Hormones / antibiotics in food can contribute to digestive and other issues

We tend to blame it on excess calories; but, what if the food we are feeding our kids (and ourselves) actually affects their brains and how their bodies process food for nutrition? What if their brains are telling them that they are still hungry (because they are)?

For example,

My daughter had a wheat allergy and we didn't know it. Baby formula had wheat in it. She was fed soy milk exclusively. Her adult teeth stopped growing, her growth plates stopped and she got her period at 10 years old. (That is not normal. A generation ago, women got their periods between the ages of 13 and 14.)

I was among those parents who thought that those frozen Kidz Meals and Happy Meals were healthy. I freely fed her pizza, hot dogs, french fries, all of the stuff people feed their kids. She craved carbs all of the time. She gained weight and while we felt bad about it, it never occurred to us that it was related to what she was eating.

We shopped at Price Club (now COSTCO), bought Cheerios in bulk, bought commercial meat / poultry in bulk and
    fed her what she wanted.

She developed an eating disorder in part because she didn't like the food in the cafeteria (all factory food) and in part because by not eating she lost weight. She got the flu and began to vomit blood. Then we were in the death spiral of anti-depressants, which almost cost us her life.

Once we figured out that she had a wheat sensitivity, removed all soy from her diet and fed her "real" food she got better pretty quickly. She does have a lasting effect in terms of hypothyroidism and all of the issues that entails.

I challenge any parent to remove soy, pre-packaged meals, corporately farmed food, and eliminate all foods containing hormones / antibiotics for six months and then tell me that they and / or their kid needs to be conscious of the calories that they are consuming. Because, I am betting that the kids (and the parents) will be satiated more quickly.

I LOVE bread / pasta / homemade pastry... I eat it sparingly and I do okay. But, I can't eat some foods at popular chains because of WHATEVER is in it disagrees with me. My hubs, on the other hand doesn't seem affected.

He was brought up on a dairy farm and walked around in manure bare footed. Until he got bit by a tick and ended up in the ER and had to have massive doses of antibiotics due to cellulitis he never got sick... EVER.

So, for some, I think it's more about the gut biome and the intestinal tract than it is what you eat. My daughter also had massive antibiotics due to sepsis (diagnosed kidney infection) so her gut was compromised from the very beginning...

I had both norovirus and the flu that laid me low for weeks and lost my ability to "move" anything at all... once I took flagyl and some other anti-parasitics (Bacteril and doTerra On-Guard) I got better pretty quickly... You have both good bugs and bad bugs in your gut and Americans can and do get parasites... we just don't talk about it nor do we treat ourselves for them unless it's Lice or Pin worms...

I am saying all of this because people are different and there is no one sized fits all solution to why people are crampy / bloated, etc.

In 1985 my 9 year old sister got her first period....i was 10.....never heard of soya then.

I got mine at 11 in 1983. I went vegetarian some eight years later and apart from the odd bit of soy sauce in a stirfry? I probably had my first tofu dish maybe six months before I 'officially' cut out meat.

My mum was old school....home cooked.. no pre packed meals and yet we still had early periods....99% of my school mates had periods before 12 and the rest by 14. ...nothing sinister about "early" puberty

I was starting to feel seriously abnormal for having gotten my period at 10...

PS: I don't eat soja because of an intolerance and grew up in an era where it wasn't in pretty much everything... I still have messed up hormones that require treatment. So sorry, but you can't blame the food for everything. Sometimes *kitten* just happens in systems as tightly regulated and complex as the human body. If that weren't the case, then there'd be no need for doctors (as in at all).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    My mother lived in rural Australia and was born in 1942 - she probably never ate any soy at all in her childhood and living on a farm in a rural area back then, ate very little non home cooked from scratch food.

She got her period at 9.

There has always been a range of normal ages for puberty - first period at 9 is early end of normal - was in 1951 and is now.

A generation ago, most girls did not get their period between 13 and 14 - some did - but average age both then and now is younger than that -probably more like 12 - with a 3 year range of normal either side - ie anywhere between 9 and 15