Atkins Support Group

Replies

• katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a sweet snack? I'm in the induction phase and get a craving for something sweet every once in awhile. The most that I've tried is an Atkins Advantage bar or a diet soda. There must be something else??

I usually have a small piece of 85-90% dark chocolate (watch the carb content, some brands are much lower in carbs/sugar than others). I only need one piece to completely kill any sugar cravings, and dark chocolate is really good for you too. Of course you're not supposed to have it on induction so if you're going for 100% compliance then try some of the other suggestions but the odd piece got me through my first 2 weeks when I found cravings were strongest.
  • deathcab87
    deathcab87 Posts: 10 Member
    Just double checked on the soya milk - it's not on the allowed foods list. Once you get to the nuts/seeds rung of OWL you could use almond milk or wait til the legumes rung for soya milk.

I don't actually eat anything before a workout and I feel ok, though to be fair I'm not exactly running marathons lol.

Thanks a bunch for checking for me, I found it on the allowed list of an unofficial Atkins support site, but couldn't find it on the actual Atkins website so I was in two minds about it! I guess I'll just need to avoid it for the time being - I'm gonna miss my double shot soy lattes and soy coffee fraps *sigh*

Thanks again for your help, this forums awesome :)
  • Susanxxxx
    Susanxxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Soya milk is allowed. Atkins just couldnt possibly list every single thing you are allowed just check the carbs and motor on if you have enough.
  • deathcab87
    Soya milk is allowed. Atkins just couldnt possibly list every single thing you are allowed just check the carbs and motor on if you have enough.

Aaaah really?! That's the best news I've had all week, thank you :) I did notice that it's relatively low carb, and I only have it in coffee so it's very small measures each day. Brilllllliant.

Eeeek thanks :):)
  • deathcab87
    Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone from the UK knows where I can buy flaxseed meal (or linseed meal/ground linseed as I think it's called over here)? I know that I can get it online but I'd rather just buy it from a shop - do you think Holland and Barretts a good bet?

Although I have heard ground linseed is pretty expensive... :-\

But all this talk of MIMs has got me aching to try them!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a sweet snack? I'm in the induction phase and get a craving for something sweet every once in awhile. The most that I've tried is an Atkins Advantage bar or a diet soda. There must be something else??

My husband likes to take 4 ounces of cream cheese, and then put a packet of Splenda on it. It tastes so close to cheesecake & it's so good. You can also find a lot of GREAT Atkins recipes at www.genaw.com. She has everything from main meals, to desserts.

Oh! I have a low carb cheesecake recipe that is absolutely wonderful. Here it is:

Crust:
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped pecans
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped almonds
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup almond flour
    2 Tablespoons melted butter

Filling:
    3 8oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup Splenda
    2-3 eggs at room temperature
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    8oz sour cream

Taste the mixture before you pour it into the pan to cook. You may need to make some of your own adjustments, most likely a little more splenda. but for me this is pretty sweet as it is.

Mix all nuts and almond meal with melted butter and press into a springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, set aside to mix filling.

beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low. Add the sugar substitute a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add vanilla and lemon juice, Add the sour cream last until just blended in.

Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan.
    Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    When time is up, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door and leave in oven for another hour. Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake also. Let cool to just about room temperature for another hour. Refrigerate.

1 slice is 4 net carbs.
    If you make with crust it is 319 calories. Without crust is 231.

I am SO going to try this. I was a cheesecake fanatic before I started low carb. This recipe sounds really delicious.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Here is Canada it's on the shelves with the rest of the cereal (called Milled Flaxseed, although I'm sure different in the UK). I used to live in South Shields, Have you looked in Tesco? I would think that it would have to be there.
  • cobylea
    Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone from the UK knows where I can buy flaxseed meal (or linseed meal/ground linseed as I think it's called over here)? I know that I can get it online but I'd rather just buy it from a shop - do you think Holland and Barretts a good bet?

Although I have heard ground linseed is pretty expensive... :-\

But all this talk of MIMs has got me aching to try them!

Oops, forgot to quote lol...check my post above!
  • Susanxxxx
    Holland and barrett do stock flaxseed, also other supermarkets have it in the 'special foods' ailse. They all vary in taste, the nicest one i've found is in aldi, quite a mild taste and goes with everything and way cheaper that other shops.
    On the subject of MiMs do you know you can make a savoury one by leaving out the splenda, spread it on a plate and cook it that way. Great to use as 'bread' or speading pate on. I use it to make ham, cheese, tomato and onion toasties. I just love it.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    On the subject of MiMs do you know you can make a savoury one by leaving out the splenda, spread it on a plate and cook it that way. Great to use as 'bread' or speading pate on. I use it to make ham, cheese, tomato and onion toasties. I just love it.

Hm, that's pretty interesting. I may have to try that today!
  • katberz

It's not allowed in induction but yes of course it's allowed in OWL, in the legume rung as I said.
  • katberz

I distinctly remember seeing ground linseed in Sainsbury's the other day, in the baking aisle. I think I've also seen it in Morrisons but I'll have to double check next time I'm there.
  • Susanxxxx
    well i've always used it and it is stated in the orange book that it is in fact allowed, just doubled checked.
  • Susanxxxx
    I must add that it also states that it MUST be low carb, less than 1g nc per 250mls of soymilk
  • cobylea
    Oh dear I think I have the "Atkins Flu" headache, feeling sluggish....how long does this last and can anything fix it?? On a plus note, I've lost 2 lbs! :drinker:
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Oh dear I think I have the "Atkins Flu" headache, feeling sluggish....how long does this last and can anything fix it?? On a plus note, I've lost 2 lbs! :drinker:

Just a few days :) Congrats on the 2lb!
  • Susanxxxx
    Painkillers are your best friend on that day. Hopefully you'll be over it tomorrow. Its at this point most people give up but be strong its only for a day or two and well worth it.
    Congrats on your loss so far :)
  • katberz
    well i've always used it and it is stated in the orange book that it is in fact allowed, just doubled checked.

That's odd, my book says nothing about soya milk for induction, which is what I thought she was asking about. It's allowed later on in OWL. Of course if a bit of soya milk is the only thing keeping you on plan then I wouldn't be the one to say don't have it! :)
  • katberz

Fat, fat and more fat. I've never actually had the flu symptoms because I keep my fat intake high. This link explains more, as well as some other tips for the early days of low carb: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Quick question- I'm on induction and I just read a list of banned induction foods... And it said any food with added sugar is banned.. So does this mean I shouldn't eat mayonnaise, ham and bacon? My mayonnaise is full fat and has 0.2g of cane sugar per serve. And my ham/bacon has added sucrose...