Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Addicted to sugar DEBATE

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Why don't some people allow that although they are not addicted to sugar some people are?

Addiction can occur with almost any substance or activity. If you have an overridding urge to do/ingest something & are unable to control that urge you have an addiction.
    Addiction is a personal and horrible matter & just because a substance us legal or redily available does not mitigate the emotional impact of doing/ingesting something that you know is causing you harm.

How can you tell someone that they do not have a 'proper' addiction when they are doing something to excess that is adversly accecting them.

If you read through the thread you should see the answer to the question.

I think there are such things as "eating addictions" or even some form of addiction based on hyperpalatable foods. And I think some EDs are analogous to addiction in some ways (BED).

What I don't see any evidence for is "sugar addiction." People who claim that normally have specific trigger foods (not all foods with sugar in them) and they typically (not always, but in most cases I've seen discussed on MFP) are a mix of ingredients, usually including fat as well as sugar (and often including foods that lack sugar, although sure some just have a huge sweet tooth).

The same people generally do not have a problem with many other foods with sugar in them, like fruit, veg, dairy, or other foods that are identical to sugar to your body (those containing starch). Studies about human reaction to foods do NOT show a specific reaction to sugar, but a reaction to sugar and fat, as well as all hyperpalatable foods (generally foods containing a mix of ingredients, often carbs + fat + salt). For example, plain potato (starch that quickly becomes glucose in the body) tends not to provoke a reaction (and is generally extremely satiating), whereas fries (carbs plus fat plus salt) may. Pizza tends to score highest on "addictiveness" -- not surprising given the mix of ingredients (cheese, carbs plus fat, other tasty things), and yet not a "sugary" food.

That's my problem with those who claim "sugar addiction" as something that is the same as "heroin addiction" or "cocaine addiction" -- a physical thing and one related specifically to the substance sugar. (And as pointed out, most people would not consume sugar straight, although some find it tasty and might. It's clearly about taste, though, not the "high.")

Now, can it be a behavioral thing? Like I said above, I think issues with eating can be, sure, but then don't say it's exactly the same as heroin addiction. Also, it's still not specifically sugar (although for some again their trigger foods/what they find tasty may be heavily weighted toward the sweet).

One of my issues too is that people really dumb down (weaken?) what they mean by adverse consequences here. Part of human nature is that we often have trouble with short term vs. long term pleasures and benefits. Short term pleasures and longer term negatives get preferred very commonly to short term inconveniences or work for long term pleasures. One does not need an addiction model to explain that, and if you are talking about why people eat cake when they are trying to diet and end up consuming too many calories, that explains it very well. There's no reason to assume "cake addiction."

The kind of negative consequences for drug use are generally far, far greater, when we are talking about addiction.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    According to tje American Society of Addiction Medicine, addiction foes nit necessarily need to involve a physical reaction, or physical withdrawal symptoms. It is a screwed up reward system in your brain, and is primarily characterized by a behavior not by pjysical symptoms or inability to be satiated.

https://www.asam.org/resources/definition-of-addiction

"Public Policy Statement: Definition of Addiction

Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death."

Just because there is not a physical or chemical component does not mean there is not an addiction. Sugary substances provide a quick a positive boost to your brain's reward system, and over time, people with an addictive personality are going to crave that physical and emotional boost. That includes social media, video games, greasy salty foods, sex, drugs, ANYTHING that leads to an excessive desire to indulge in, to the point of negatively impacting your lifestyle.Once that craving overcomes good sense and becomes very difficult to ignore, to the point of negatively impacting your lifestyle and health, it IS an addiction.

Except that, as has been repeatedly pointed out.

A twinkie or Ho-Ho or ding dong or pizza isn't "sugar" or "a Sugary substance"

Thus, even if it is an addiction, it's not a sugar addiction. For example, given the opportunity, I would suggest that Swedish meatballs(despite being heavy on protein) are just as susceptible to binge craving as pizza. Because they meet the profile of hyper palatable foods. Baked potatoes, unless stuffed with bacon, sour cream, cheese and butter. simply aren't. Even though they produce a much faster and more potent insulin response.

TLDR: You didn't read the thread.

Yes, this.

I don't think there's any support for the concept of an "addictive personality," either, but I suppose that's a separate issue. If the idea is that one finds food pleasurable (the brain reaction) there is nothing specific about sugar.

Might a particular person be most focused on sugary foods (usually also with other ingredients, and specific sugary foods?)? Sure. I think that's often habit or a history of seeing them as forbidden fruit, but also it can be taste specific (I personally will never overeat M&Ms, but peanut M&Ms? I will, under the right conditions). But that's not what people are saying when they insist it's a "sugar" addiction or "exactly like" cocaine (which is absurd).

If the issue is sugar, and cravings for sugar, the answer seems easy. Eat fruit. Sugary, low enough cal that most will still not end up overeating (especially if you are logging), and pretty good for you. People generally don't find this satisfactory, because they aren't really craving "sugar," but specific foods (which may contain sugar, and some which likely do not).

It's like when people say "what do you do for a carb craving." IMO, eat a carrot. If the craving is just for carbs, carrots have carbs.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    According to tje American Society of Addiction Medicine, addiction foes nit necessarily need to involve a physical reaction, or physical withdrawal symptoms. It is a screwed up reward system in your brain, and is primarily characterized by a behavior not by pjysical symptoms or inability to be satiated.

https://www.asam.org/resources/definition-of-addiction

"Public Policy Statement: Definition of Addiction

Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death."

Just because there is not a physical or chemical component does not mean there is not an addiction. Sugary substances provide a quick a positive boost to your brain's reward system, and over time, people with an addictive personality are going to crave that physical and emotional boost. That includes social media, video games, greasy salty foods, sex, drugs, ANYTHING that leads to an excessive desire to indulge in, to the point of negatively impacting your lifestyle.Once that craving overcomes good sense and becomes very difficult to ignore, to the point of negatively impacting your lifestyle and health, it IS an addiction.

Except that, as has been repeatedly pointed out.

A twinkie or Ho-Ho or ding dong or pizza isn't "sugar" or "a Sugary substance"

Thus, even if it is an addiction, it's not a sugar addiction. For example, given the opportunity, I would suggest that Swedish meatballs(despite being heavy on protein) are just as susceptible to binge craving as pizza. Because they meet the profile of hyper palatable foods. Baked potatoes, unless stuffed with bacon, sour cream, cheese and butter. simply aren't. Even though they produce a much faster and more potent insulin response.

TLDR: You didn't read the thread.

Yes, this.

I don't think there's any support for the concept of an "addictive personality," either, but I suppose that's a separate issue. If the idea is that one finds food pleasurable (the brain reaction) there is nothing specific about sugar.

Might a particular person be most focused on sugary foods (usually also with other ingredients, and specific sugary foods?)? Sure. I think that's often habit or a history of seeing them as forbidden fruit, but also it can be taste specific (I personally will never overeat M&Ms, but peanut M&Ms? I will, under the right conditions). But that's not what people are saying when they insist it's a "sugar" addiction or "exactly like" cocaine (which is absurd).

If the issue is sugar, and cravings for sugar, the answer seems easy. Eat fruit. Sugary, low enough cal that most will still not end up overeating (especially if you are logging), and pretty good for you. People generally don't find this satisfactory, because they aren't really craving "sugar," but specific foods (which may contain sugar, and some which likely do not).

It's like when people say "what do you do for a carb craving." IMO, eat a carrot. If the craving is just for carbs, carrots have carbs.

I don't deal with binge/ED, I do deal with craving. and if I'm craving "junk" snowballs, Honey buns, etc will absolutely meet my craving and just one is quite enough. A bowl or bag of strawberries just won't.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2017
    Never mind.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Study after study has proven that sugar lights up the same part of the brain as drugs. The reward center.

The only reason you aren't killing to get it is because it's so easily available.
    And same studies could be applied to petting puppies and holding babies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Omg. This explains the connection between my addiction and the collection of dogs I've amassed. I have a predisposition to addiction, but I didn't realize it went as far as puppies. But here I am, sitting typing this with two chihuahua's in my lap and a borrowed australian shepherd snoring beside me. Thank God I'm infertile, or else I'd be like that Duggar lady.
  • stanmann571
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Highly patatable and sugar are definitely two different categories, but if the cravings are specifically towards high sugar items, rather than greasy, salty, or just tasty, than the addiction is the sugar. I can easily eat myself sick with pixie sticks and sugar cubes, but though I absolutely love pizza, I'm not going to go out of my way to pigout on it, especially if I don't feel great.
    Someone else may be addicted to the highly palatable, or high carb, or spicy or salty items. Just like someone can be addicted to heroin AND cocaine, but not necessarily Vicodine or alchohol. Another might be addicted to more than one category. In my case, it is the sugar.

To call it a sugar addiction because you eat too much candy but not too much fruit is like saying an alcoholic is addicted to beer but not whiskey. If the issue is sugar, you'd go for bananas as fast as you'd go for a twinkie because the substance is in both, just like alcohol is in both wine and whiskey.

Or chewing a saltine until it gets sweet.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    All I know is don't bring a bunch of cookies to my house. I will hate you forever and ever lol. They are my weakness and I can't stop myself....maybe I have a cookie addiction lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    edited December 2017
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Highly patatable and sugar are definitely two different categories, but if the cravings are specifically towards high sugar items, rather than greasy, salty, or just tasty, than the addiction is the sugar. I can easily eat myself sick with pixie sticks and sugar cubes, but though I absolutely love pizza, I'm not going to go out of my way to pigout on it, especially if I don't feel great.
    Someone else may be addicted to the highly palatable, or high carb, or spicy or salty items. Just like someone can be addicted to heroin AND cocaine, but not necessarily Vicodine or alchohol. Another might be addicted to more than one category. In my case, it is the sugar.

To call it a sugar addiction because you eat too much candy but not too much fruit is like saying an alcoholic is addicted to beer but not whiskey. If the issue is sugar, you'd go for bananas as fast as you'd go for a twinkie because the substance is in both, just like alcohol is in both wine and whiskey.
    Does your "addiction" cause you to overeat fruit or does fruit satisfy your cravings for sweets? If no to either question, you are not addicted to sugar. You just eat too much of the foods you like because you like them.

You CAN be addicted to beer and not whiskey.It's not particularly likely, or common, buy it IS possible. ANYTHING can be involved in an addiction. It is entirely due to the reward system in your brain, NOT the actual substance itself. Everything else is simply a matter of the side effects of the particular indulgence. Sugary sweets are addictive if you become addicted to them. Sex is addictive if you become addicted to it . World of Warcraft is addictive if you become addicted to it. Celery is addictive if you become addicted to it. Some substances or activities have a larger percentage of people who are obsessed with obtaining them, to the point of having a serious negative impact on thier life. Those things are generally considered "more" addictive than others. It is possible to be addicted to celery, which means that technically it can be addictive, although it is not particularly likely. More people are going to crave sweets than celery, so it is generally considered more addictive than celery is.
    Fortunately for sugar addicts, the side effects of too much sugar aren't nearly as bad as the side effects if too much alchohol,or Vicodin and Benadryl, and they are much easier to recover from. And the withdrawals aren't nearly as likely to make you as sick as more poisonous addictions like alcohol or various drugs. But just because the side effects aren't as severe, does not mean that the person who is having extreme difficulty not indulging is not addicted.And telling the person that they are not "actually" addicted, simply because you don't think sugar is serious or specific enough to cause an actual addiction is about as realistic as telling someone with depression that they can not possibly be "actually" depressed, because they aren't dealing with issues that are sad enough to be depressed over.
    You obviously didn't ready ALL of the ASAM's definition to addiction.
    https://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/publications/asam-news-archives/vol26-3.pdf?sfvrsn=0

"The definition does not say that there is such a thing as, say, baseball
    addiction. What it says is that we must look to see if repeated
    engagement in play and study of baseball causes or is the result of
    neurobiologic manifestations that lead to impaired control over
    further involvement in baseball. It says we must perform research
    to see if such individuals then demonstrate other manifestations
    of addiction such as significant impairment in executive function,
    persistent risk and/or recurrence of relapse and so forth.
    The definition therefore avoids the current controversy regarding
    such activities as Internet use, videogame play and other activities
    that are so much part of our contemporary culture. It also avoids
    defining addiction in such a way as to imply that time spent involved
    in an activity has any relationship to the presence of addiction.

Surely there have been individuals over the years who have
    spent "excessive" time reading, yet there has never been a serious
    inquiry as to whether reading addiction exists as an entity.
    The new
    definition cleanly avoids discussion of the substrate of addiction, or
    of the marker; if you prefer; and rather addresses the underlying
    nature of the disorder.
    Disease definitions are living entities; they always represent a work in
    progress and as such are destined to change as science advances. ASAM
    invites your feedback regarding the new definition. Feel free to write
    me directly at drgitlow@aol.com with your comments and concerns."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • stanmann571
    J72FIT wrote: »
    You CAN be addicted to beer and not whiskey.

I find it highly unlikely that a person can be addicted to beer and not whiskey, that is a preference, not an addiction. If you are addicted to alcohol, you will drink NYQUIL if need be. Please don't insult real people with real addictions...

Just as someone with a heroin addiction will prefer heroin, but will accept Vicodin or Fentanyl and in a "real crisis" will probably even use Meth or Cocaine to take the edge off.