Women & PMS

Ok, I know everyone is different. So this thread is more geared towards women, who like myself binge eat the week before menstruation starts.
I just started my period today, but for the previous week have been uncontrollably binge eating. EVERYTHING IN THE FRIDGE. Today I feel so horribly disgusted with myself, and have gained a good 10 lbs just from my week long binge. I know the weight will go away this week with no issue, but it still sucks and is a huge set back every month.
Does anybody have tips that could help\? It is the same every month, the week just before my period start I start to binge, this is usually my cue that the time of the month is just around the corner. UGhghghgh

Replies

• wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Me too. I noticed that too. I would binge and get discourage and get off my diet. I discovered I do this and accepted it. I stop eating after 6pm. I forgive myself and keep going. So, now I put the week before on my calendar. So I can be aware and do my best for damage control. I noticed it helps when you are aware of it.
  • katanak9
    katanak9 Posts: 42 Member
    Me too, although I've only recently realised it (my cycle has never been regular, so it's hard to predict/ notice a pattern). For me it's massive cravings for cake and ice cream.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Yes i am the same this month. This is my 4th month tracking using MFP. I have noticed twice i have a huge increase in hunger and really make some bad decisions. Where as the other 2 months i was over all normal. For me it tends to balance out because once my monthly arrives i have quite a drop in weight.
  • kmissyk
    kmissyk Posts: 2 Member
    Ugh, I can totally relate. I've been working at this for 1 1/2 years now. 2 steps forward, 1 step back it seems. I just figured it is how I'm made... so I just keep going :) I'm down 57 pounds so I can say that persistence does pay off :)
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Yep. Today- fries and cheese and fries are calling me deviously. Carbs are winning tho. Booooo. Anything w/ ample protein just feels heavy and hard to digest (veggie here) so refined carbs do seem more appealing at this time. As the battle rages on.. Time to go move some mass around.
  • lewisaikila
    lewisaikila Posts: 7 Member
    Same here idk what to do bur acknowledge and get more exercise in ...
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Am I the only one that binges more during my actual menstruation, rather than the week leading up? There have been a couple times where I notice the cravings the week before but usually it the week during. I think it has to do with pain and moodiness. When my cramps are bad and I am cranky I pity myself with chocolate and chips. Does this usually happen during the week before? Is my cycle just strange?
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited November 2017
    I get the heavy cramps/cravings the week before, too. Sometimes rolls into the first day or two. Best way to combat them is hot tea & a hot water bottle, hydration, exercise, and good ol' fashioned hiding things on the shelf out of reach.

But seriously. A good workout is the best pain management tool I've ever experienced. No matter how brutal the cramps (well...except when it was REALLY bad...) or how bloated and headachy and exhausted I was, exercise made me feel like a new person.
  • Kerriann1083
    Kerriann1083 Posts: 54 Member
    edited November 2017
    I can definitely relate... My problem is I will stick to my diet but during my period I gain a lot of water weight sometimes up to 10 lbs.. most of the time 5lbs ...:( Does anyone have this problem or is this a unusual amount of water weight???
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I can definitely relate... My problem is I will stick to my diet but during my period I gain a lot of water weight sometimes up to 10 lbs.. most of the time 5lbs ...:( Does anyone have this problem or is this a unusual amount of water weight???

Same boat!! I can gain 5lbs of water easily. It's so frustrating. During ovulation the scale doesn't budge for me, then it stalls again the week before my period and often goes up. It all comes off in the end but it's so discouraging. Even with mentally preparing myself, I hate it!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    I get massive cravings but I'm trying to stay strong and eat only if/when really hungry and I choose better options, If I start eating empty cals, I know that I won't stop :D SO hard at first but it gets better!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2017

Same boat!! I can gain 5lbs of water easily. It's so frustrating. During ovulation the scale doesn't budge for me, then it stalls again the week before my period and often goes up. It all comes off in the end but it's so discouraging. Even with mentally preparing myself, I hate it!

I have two weeks a month where I'll lose reliably and steadily - the week of and just after my period, and the week after ovulation. Beyond that, my daily weight trend graph is a mountain range of ups and downs! I've gotten used to it but still don't love it, either.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member

Yes! Same here. An extra 5 lbs (at least) of bloat/water weight before my period starts is typical for me.During this time, all my clothes feel uncomfortable & binding - I hate it.
  • cjfarborist
    cjfarborist Posts: 25 Member
    I drop weight right before and then bloat at least 5 lbs and it takes up to a week for it to come off. I hate it. It's really discouraging.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Yep, week before is flagged in my diary so I know that when I am craving all the cake, that is the reason. Also the reason for feeling horrible in whatever clothes - yay bloat! :/

I have found that I don't seem to particularly mind what I binge on, although sweet stuff does lead the race.
    Last month I got 5 bars of the healthy living cardboardy type breakfast bars and a bag of salted popcorn. I knew that even if I ate all of that it would be around 800 cals and that even while binging I can make those things last for an hour or so.
    Planning it and knowing the 'damage' beforehand has helped tremendously as I can now sometimes just have some of the plan and the rest next day etc.
    Also planning the 'not as tasty' things over sugary doughnuts helps as I know they will last longer if needed and sometimes the lack of appeal just helps me to go get some water or a cup of tea!

anyway - that was a ramble! :)
    try different things and don't beat yourself up basically, it will come off over time. Oh, and periods suck!

• Am I the only one that binges more during my actual menstruation, rather than the week leading up? There have been a couple times where I notice the cravings the week before but usually it the week during. I think it has to do with pain and moodiness. When my cramps are bad and I am cranky I pity myself with chocolate and chips. Does this usually happen during the week before? Is my cycle just strange?

This happens to me, too! It's like, thanks for the heads up...not!
    I almost always crave salt. Doritos, chips and dip, French fries. If I would drink more water, i wouldn't be so bloated. Just need to find a while lot more willpower!

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    All I know is that CHOCOLATE TASTES SO DANG GOOD during PMS week! :)
  • ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE
    ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE Posts: 16 Member
    It’s never consistent what happens to me. Sometimes I get cravings, while other times I lose my appetite.

The key is being prepared. Research and try healthy snack foods. Have them ready in the fridge since you consistently have this issue at the same time each month.

It doesn’t work for everyone, but I just stopped buying unhealthy food. I’m too tired by the end of the day to go drive and pick something up. I end up getting “stuck” with the healthy stuff in the fridge.