Question on not eating

I wasn't sure which area to post this, but I figured here because it has to do with food, please excuse me if not.
I was told that not eating during the day and only eating at night that you won't loose any weight, that you'll actually gain weight. Does anyone know if this is true?

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    It's not.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Not true - how much you eat not when you eat matters. If you put in less fuel than you need you can't create energy from nothing.

All that is doing is moving around the times in a day/night when you are in a surplus and when you are in a deficit - it doesn't change the total balance.

Think of it as topping up your car's fuel tank, if you put in ten gallons in the morning or the evening you have still put in ten gallons.

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    calories dont know day from night so simply follow a calorie deficit and eat within that goal.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited November 2017
    I eat most of my calories after 730pm most days. The only time this eating schedule has made me gain weight was when I ate in a calorie surplus.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Whatever works for you.

If your not hungry till late, then don't eat till late.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Not true.
    When you eat doesn't matter one jot, its the amount you eat. If you consistently eat less than you burn that equals weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    This is easy enough to test for yourself. Try eating only in the evening for a week but make sure your total calories each day stay on target set by MFP.

I wouldn’t do this myself for two reasons.

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.

I’d be raging hungry if I skipped eating during the day.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    bethiebolt wrote: »
    I wasn't sure which area to post this, but I figured here because it has to do with food, please excuse me if not.
    I was told that not eating during the day and only eating at night that you won't loose any weight, that you'll actually gain weight. Does anyone know if this is true?

Not eating at night is a "mind hack" to eliminate/limit "mindless eating" after dinner. Nothing more.

• magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    The only reason I would be worried about eating at night is if it hinders your sleep.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If it were true, I'd still be overweight. But I'm not.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    The only time it might matter is if you, for example, normally weigh in on an empty stomach but this time, you did so shortly after breakfast. The scale is likely to show a larger number in that case.

Usually, I weigh in first thing, after using the bathroom but before breakfast. When I was doing Weight Watchers, years ago, I attended evening meetings. I didn't fast on weigh-in day, though I did tend to eat a bit lighter and save my calories for after the meeting. I still saw weight loss. But the number on the scale at 6:30PM was probably a couple of pounds heavier than it would have been at 7AM. What's important is consistency. If you normally weigh in around the same time (and roughly the same number of hours after you last ate), you're likely getting a more accurate picture than if you just weigh in whenever the mood strikes you.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    I'm a night eater with great self control during the day, so I stopped fighting it and I now save all my calories for the end of the day. I love it and it keeps me from screwing myself at the end of the day. Just make sure you get all of your calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Yeah no. Day or Night if you eat too many calories you'll gain weight. Day or night if you eat in a deficit you'll lose weight. You don't magically gain 20 lbs because you ate a cracker after 7pm.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Calories can't tell time. They're not that smart.