Running/Ankle from running question

I have been dabbling in jogging lately and got up to being able to run a third of a mile on the treadmill (big accomplishment for me). However lately when I run on the treadmill or especially on pavement my left ankle starts to hurt. I assumed pain in the ankles and shins when starting to run was to be expected but it makes it feel like my ankles are surrounded by cement. I jogged a little on Tuesday on packed gravel at the park and my left ankle still hurts!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It's possible that running isn't for you.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    How are your shoes?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Are you learning to run properly using something like C25K? Running on packed gravel would not be the best surface to run on especially with injury that sounds chronic.. I would do any more running until it heals.

..that said, have you had your gait tested and fitted properly for running shoes?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Are you learning to run properly using something like C25K? Running on packed gravel would not be the best surface to run on especially with injury that sounds chronic.. I would do any more running until it heals.

..that said, have you had your gait tested and fitted properly for running shoes?

^^This. Give it time to heal and go to a proper running store and have them help you buy shoes.
  • halmsafit
    halmsafit Posts: 47 Member

I was fitted two years ago at FleetFeet for running shoes (thought i'd start running then) and it really felt great to start running but those shoes are what I wear every day so maybe my feet have changed/ the shoes are just old! My shoe testing lasted an hour because one ankle drops in but with the shoes I ended up buying it didn't! Maybe I need to just do a softer terrain (treadmill). Also yes I am doing C25K!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    halmsafit wrote: »

I was fitted two years ago at FleetFeet for running shoes (thought i'd start running then) and it really felt great to start running but those shoes are what I wear every day so maybe my feet have changed/ the shoes are just old! My shoe testing lasted an hour because one ankle drops in but with the shoes I ended up buying it didn't! Maybe I need to just do a softer terrain (treadmill). Also yes I am doing C25K!

I would let it heal and then go get tested again for some new running shoes. And I think you should take your running outside as well so when you get new shoes tell them that you will be be street running and doing some treadmill. :smile:
  • thegeans
    thegeans Posts: 42 Member
    After doing C25K for about three weeks I developed a similar pain in my knee, turns out I'd given myself a stress fracture. Crutches for six weeks! Not saying that's what you've got, or anything bad about C25K, but listen to your pain, let it heal, and as others have said be sure you have the right shoes. It doesn't take much to mess yourself up!
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    halmsafit wrote: »

You definitely need new shoes two years of daily wear is no bueno.

Get a pair for running and only wear them for running. I end up going through a pair every 6-8 months then get a new pair for running and start wearing the old for work.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Besides what @RoxieDawn and @festerw told you, take it nice and slow. Don't try to "push through" the pain. It won't work, and you risk making it much worse. Revert to walking for awhile, but not a nice, easy stroll. Make it a good, brisk walk, and for at least a mile, or as far as you can go short of that. When I took up running again last year I spent a couple of months walking about 3 miles a day, and switched to running when that got too easy. Since I worked up to it gradually, I've had no issues with pain or injuries, not even like I'd had when I was running regularly years ago.